Too Poor To Even DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might wish to check out music done so badly, the artist is shunned by entire family, community, and even local government:

https://soundcloud.com/catrina-daimon-lee

The kind of mind that develops musical theories beyond the known have garnered others tenure in music universities and accolades beyond the dreams of avarice. But for the one suffering in despair of any hope of recompense, I just live and wait when all 'pro-active' work has been disallowed by the world outside my own skin.

This is the end perhaps. I just wait.

Just gave a good and enjoyable listen to your soundcloud link. Mantra - While Eastern music can be sometimes difficult for the Western ear, I found this short piece compelling and reminiscent of Sheila Chandra's work. I am a fan of her drone style singing and was saddened when she was forced to retire. Shenandoah - This is the most airy and spacey arrangement of this I have heard yet. I like it a lot. Music is such a deeply personal experience I'm somewhat surprised at all the negativity you say you've encountered. I have eclectic tastes but it's pretty wide banded. Maybe your locals are just musically pigeon holed and you haven't found the right audience yet. But don't give up because I can hear your talent.

Hi:

I think your music is very nice! As for your apparent state of depression over the injustice of not being recognized and compensated for your work and ideas, I have nothing to offer you but these thoughts:

I - and certainly countless others - share your dismay. This is the state that our global economy and collective civilization has "evolved" to. We recognize the oft-stated sentiments such as: "You can be/do/accomplish anything you imagine if you believe/work hard/long enough", "Follow your passions and the rewards will follow you", blah, blah, blah, etc. as the shallow and meaningless clichés and platitudes that they are. That said, dwelling on thoughts like that are ultimately not very productive (in my experience). Please hang in there, and DO continue to reach out for help! I sincerely hope you can get through this.

Too poor to DIY? I dunno - maybe you could try to re-frame your expectations. You obviously make your own music; what else are you interested in doing? I've found repairing/making/building/inventing things using very inexpensive/scrounged materials or even exploring creative theoretical concepts to be very gratifying - in fact - that, for me, is the essence of DIY. So, let's hear some of your DIY ideas, and surely we can help you on your way.
Best,
Wilf

Many many thanks wilf oswald and hollowstate! it is a kindness that you have indulged me by listening with such attention to my work
I am not asking for any form of charity, I think I just was overcame with such grief when I posted in this sub-forum...

My 8 year old macbook (gotten at the expense of a government HDB flat, but that is part of a longer story...) only dual core cannot even handle what I need to compose and execute in my work. My monitors got spoilt, one anyway, and I wanted a cheap but great system (thought I could 'clone-modify' based on Audience 1_1 but may be too ambitious)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/285976-trade-barter-swap-these-new-post.html

is what I do need, and what I can offer in exchange. I cannot accept cash as I cannot buy online (no debit card, barely a bank account, which I m grateful for as last year i didnt even have a bank account)

Much respect to you both :)

In A World...

Just gave a good and enjoyable listen to your soundcloud link. Mantra - While Eastern music can be sometimes difficult for the Western ear, I found this short piece compelling and reminiscent of Sheila Chandra's work. I am a fan of her drone style singing and was saddened when she was forced to retire. Shenandoah - This is the most airy and spacey arrangement of this I have heard yet. I like it a lot. Music is such a deeply personal experience I'm somewhat surprised at all the negativity you say you've encountered. I have eclectic tastes but it's pretty wide banded. Maybe your locals are just musically pigeon holed and you haven't found the right audience yet. But don't give up because I can hear your talent.

In a world such as ours it now has been given me the experience to find out firsthand that certain familial ties monopolize the arts (in my case, as in the case of many artists) - even with different surnames, these ones are linked mafia-like, and only allow in those greedy enough, loyal to them enough, mad for power and money enough.

In a country known for its false transparency and integrity, ones like me are perpetually marginalized. I cannot get a job in any industry here. I gave up my only home to leave Singapore, only to be cheated. I had to take to the streets, busking and offering street tarot readings...which gained me barely enough to get by on.

Talent and hard work, the inner will to learn and subsume ego to understand music on its own terms, these are 'off the mark' in such a country, in such a world. If a country is run by drug lords, criminals and worse...and its people too self-centred, too spiritually broken, too inept to act accordingly...then only skill sets such as mendacity, mediocrity and marketing are welcomed and rewarded.

(BTW the Indian piece was to be for a blog I started to write, so it isnt very original music I m afraid, while Shenandoah remains for me a personal favorite arrangement, very personal to me)

Thank you again for your kindness and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.