Tocos Potentiometer RV30YG?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I am looking for a potentiometer, the RV30YG from the Japanese manufacturer Tocos. It is supposed to be very good and Mr. Kaneda used it in one of his books. I was asking Tocos directly but they only ship to industry who order large quantities.

Does anyone of you know where to get these as DIY home-builder?

What is your experience with it? Is it really that good? What would be comparable?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Poli

Hi Josch,
thanks - will check it out!
Cheers
Poli

Go ahead if you find and let me know if you find! I used both the Tocos and an Alps Black Beauty on my Kaneda. Both are good but the Tocos gives a more 3d image on this preamp. Carbon is still good even in solid state gear!
Note: f you find linear 'B type', just adding one resistor per channel can make a 'pseudo log' pot.

Hi Jeepy,
I contacted hifcollective and they do the Tocos pots, but only the RV24, meaning 24 mm diameter rather then 30 mm for the RV30, but it seems to be the only shop one on the web, I could find, that does Tocos pots!
Interestingly enough they said, that there was a quality problem with the RV24 and the whole lot went back to Tocos. Apparently the two channels were not equal, so hifcollective is waiting for a new ones to come from Tocos with better quality.
Once they have arrived (4-5 weeks), I will order the Tocos.
Cheers
Poli

Hi Jeepy,
I contacted hifcollective and they do the Tocos pots, but only the RV24, meaning 24 mm diameter rather then 30 mm for the RV30, but it seems to be the only shop one on the web, I could find, that does Tocos pots!
Interestingly enough they said, that there was a quality problem with the RV24 and the whole lot went back to Tocos. Apparently the two channels were not equal, so hifcollective is waiting for a new ones to come from Tocos with better quality.
Once they have arrived (4-5 weeks), I will order the Tocos.
Cheers
Poli

Very good. I will order some too. Thanks!

I know potentiometer RV30YG long time now, and it is really good, at the Ko-on / 2CP-2511 (or 2P-2511). The sound is very soft (low distortion), with a wide bandwidth and good dynamics.
But not easy (impossible ?) to find.

RV24YG is good too, but closer to the Noble quality (a little better), a good step over the RK27.

For the price, it is excellent.

A spot of thread revival needed. I have had enough of these Tocos pot's, I bought one from hifi collective recently and at first I was quite impressed by the sound quality but with further use I am disappointed. The channels are poorly matched, I almost lose one channel completely at low volume, at higher volume it affects the sound stage badly too. I could not be bothered arguing with the supplier and after the good reviews I thought I must have a bad one so I bought another from elsewhere and it is just as bad. I have ordered some miniature DACT (stepped attenuators) and hope that they do a better job. Anyway I can NOT recommend the Tocos pot's to anyone now which is sad.

For all of you techies seeking 20k dual logs, in vain.
Forget the UNOBs.
Look NO further.
Build quality is superb ,
only surpassed by the great DENIS FLAGEOLLET of La Chaux L'Auberson, Switzerlands #1 optical tech and inventor ( yes I know watches).

Back to the product in question MY new Tocos 20K overall resistance matches 20.2 x20.4 which should embarrass any alps inkl the black.
.At 8`clock my trusty freshly calibrated HP in LCR mode states 19.6 x19.3 at 10 o`clock R17.1 x 17sharp 12`clock gives 0.2 deviations .
at 4 o`clock accuracy is ofF by2.0
I purchased the item from British HFC and price was indeed competitive, couple of quid more than the ramshackle Blue Beauty with its high (Hrrrm+cough/wellwell) standards of nonexistent calibration. It`s really not correctish...at all.

For those of us actually listening to our music, The Tocos sports despite erratic mythical lore expurgated by the know-it-alls of the trade and congregation. ,Carbon tracks as the resistive medium in The Tocos presents a soundstage so tall that I forgot to focus on the dept of stage, when doing this, of course the placement of props are easy recogniced , orchestra and their seating stands out in utter realism.
not to mention the stagehands shuffling about. Smoothness is key to this product, be it sound vice or in opreation..
Moreover there is absolutely no sibilance to be heard, On records like Streisand’s “lazy after…! And some infamous albums by talking head. And of course Aha`s scoundrel days,,, at position volume 04:00this album plays so clean and pure, listening gives no fatigue, it?s un-tire able as there exist NO hf resonance at all. Not to mention Sammy Davis and his bands, no sibilance
*TOCOS 20k Replaced DIY 24step Vishay ladder in my system it was SO bl###dy harsh, as my three year old can testify.
All itens Reviewed in living quarters, no particular damping.
> Source Rotel Mod Right with SME 3009 damped (at brass pivot) +20g on counterweight
> Carts Stanton 681eee-s v – Shure M91 SAS - The 'Music Maker' Mk III - Signet TK9EaSamt and the Talisman V2 Gold of Clear audio – mounted on separate ineertiadamped brasspod (200KG on pillar through ceiling from basement) Mated with the SME V with mumbo jumbo named cables I do forget.
>Riia modified version of Le Pacific all caps are Russian Teflon burn in processed in rig for 27900 hours. Resistors compress of Holcos dales and Allen/Bradly matched CC`s consequently used in signal path  Sounds superior and way more musical that the dreaded nudes.
All Matched to 0.1%
Preamp consists of 2x lm499999` build on the board provide by our Indian friends and collegues. Other components are all matched dales, K71-3`s and the odd bradleys in their optimal position. PSU by Mishra
All Matched to 0.1%