TO220/D2PAK Lateral MOSFETs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry to be so late, but maybe the info will still be useful.

The old Hitachi-style lateral FETs do still live on, manufactured by SEMELAB for their ALFET series of Audio Lateral Power FETs.

Most importantly, they retain the zero-TC (stable idle current) at around 100-120mA.

Data:

http://products.semelab-tt.com/pdf/magnatec/ALF08N16V ALF08N20V.pdf

N-channel purchase:

ALF08N20V | Semelab ALF08N20V N-channel MOSFET, 8 A, 160 V, 3-Pin TO-247 | Semelab

And even a P-ch part!

ALF16P16W | Semelab ALF16P16W P-channel MOSFET, 16 A, 160 V, 3-Pin TO-264 | Semelab

Thanks!

Yes, I know about these big ones, actually I bought a pair to play with... didn't have time to, though.

I was more specifically interested in faster MOSFETs, which is why I was looking into the smaller ones.

However, at the current I want to use (about 20mA) these TO220 laterals (J77 K214) have quite low transconductance (50mS) which means I can get roughly the same performance using an IRF610 with a source resistor... and with this high value of a source resistor, thermal stability is pretty much guaranteed.

Last edited:
If you can deal with N channel only, the DN2540 or DN2530 isn't too bad. It's a depletion device, but its transconductance drops with temperature. The |Vgs(off)| rises with temperature (harder to turn off), but there should be a balance somewhere usable.

I only ever used it with a moderate source resistor (300 ohms, device running at about 10mA, self-bias, ultra-stable), though, so it was never an issue. Linearity, if you can get around the nonlinear drain-gate capacitance (cascode or drive from a low impedance) is actually quite good.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.