To Correct, Pls Suggest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All

i just finished my DIY FLOOR STANDING Project.
Actually I did a mistake while calculating the Enclosure volume (Too high for drivers I am using).
Now Driver manufacturer has recommemended to reduce the volume to 35-40 Ltrs.

Configuration of Speakers - 36"H x 14"D x 11'W (1' MDF) = 62 Ltrs

Need to reduce the volume to 32-35 Ltrs.

Here i need your help:

Option 1 - To reduce the volume by half, I should cut down the cabinet from back (vertical) which will result in Reduction in Depth (from 14" to 8") and CUT from Bottom for about 4".

Option 2 - To reduce the hight of the enclosure to 20" to get the volume to 35 Ltrs.

DOES OPTION 1 WOULD HAVE ANY BAD EFFECT ON SOUND, SINCE I AM REDUCING THE DEPTH BY ALMOST 50%.

Please suggest!

Deepak

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Deepak,

Why don't you just partition the existing enclosure? or have you already glued the back and front on?

In case you aren't sure what I mean by partition, here is a picture of an enclosure I made with two partitions, giving three totally separate internal volumes.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=563594&stamp=1107059001

edit: any changes to dimentions of the internal space will change what freq standing waves will occur at. some may be better some may be worse. if you have good damping it probably won't be too much of an issue. just try to avoid ending up with two internal dimentions being the same!

Tony.

Hi DPK,

I'd be looking at a 'box within the box' type thing.

I'll attatch a (bad) sketch..

I would side mount the subs btw.

Cheers,

Rob

Have a look at the peerless xls 12" as an idea for sub driver. There was recently a thread on subs for small enclosures.

Attachments

• sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 60
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.