Tips for drilling Large Holes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow. I dont think this is very safe advice for drilling metal of any kind.

Only for aluminum recommend it. And only with some lubricant.

I really would suggest you follow the advice further up this thread. To summarize:-

I'm always willing to learn.

1. use a drill press and make sure your work is clamped well clamped to the drill press work surface or.
2. make sure your work is well clamped if using a hand drill

All my drilling activities are done with a drill press and if possible clamped.

3. start with a small drill diameter and work upwards with bigger drill bits to your final hole diameter.

This is time consuming activity and with not much spare time this can be skipped with my advice with the point welding drill. You only chop off slices of aluminum and because you drill with low speed it is a very controlled way of drilling. Also you don't end up with triangular holes.

4. Use slowest drill speed - especially for aluminium
5. Use some cutting fluid - it works and makes a big difference (some 3-in -1 oil also works well)

As always

6. Best solution: Drill press and a stepped cutter. Second best solution: hand drill and a stepped cutter.

This only applies to sheets thinner then the steps on your stpped drill.

6. Best solution: Drill press and a stepped cutter. Second best solution: hand drill and a stepped cutter.

This only applies to sheets thinner then the steps on your stpped drill.

Recently I was able to drill 1/4 inch thick with step drill by drilling from both sides. Worked better then I thought it would, nice clean round hole. Careful alignment is required.

4. twist drill bit (only for aluminum or wood)

Unless you have cobalt bits and a drill press... then steel drilling is OK
(I have scars on my hand that say WHY you do NOT use a hand drill when drilling steel)

Steel Hammond/Bud/etc. chassis... titanium coated are OK, but do use the cheap ones, cause the expensive ones will wear out just as fast as the cheap ones and you don't feel as guilty when you dump them in the bin ;)

Cheers!

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
(I have scars on my hand that say WHY you do NOT use a hand drill when drilling steel)

Steel Hammond/Bud/etc. chassis... titanium coated are OK, but do use the cheap ones, cause the expensive ones will wear out just as fast as the cheap ones and you don't feel as guilty when you dump them in the bin ;)

Cheers!

I drill steel every day with twist drill in a hand drill...I just don't do silly things like drill through my hand or try to use my hand (or fingers) to clamp the work down. Some common sense helps.

Cheap bits get duller quicker and break more easily. Some cheap bits are worth buying and others are not. Here in Canada, Canadian Tire (store) puts the Makita brand bit index on sale occasionally for $4. It has 1/16 to 1/4 and is well worth the money.
For bits above 1/4" do yourself a favour, buy better quality ones. The corners of the cutting edges will chip off on the cheap ones really fast and unless you can sharpen it, you are SOL and out the bucks for the bit.

I drill steel every day with twist drill in a hand drill...I just don't do silly things like drill through my hand or try to use my hand (or fingers) to clamp the work down. Some common sense helps.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1940481 :D

I actually compared three boxes each of titanium bits from CanTire and the dollar-plus store.... both lasted the same time on aluminum/steel cabinets.

If it wasn't for the receipt, you couldn't tell the boxes apart out of their packages.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I actually compared three boxes each of titanium bits from CanTire and the dollar-plus store.... both lasted the same time on aluminum/steel cabinets.

If it wasn't for the receipt, you couldn't tell the boxes apart out of their packages.

I could probably tell the difference ;)

Canadian Tire sells mostly junk now, not much better than a dollar store but they have varying quality.
As for the dollar stores, I don't go to them and I certainly wouldn't buy any kind of tool in there...:eek:

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The best drilling bit I, ever used:

Step drills are great (if they are good quality) for thin aluminum, steel and even for thicker metal, like ChrisA mentioned above. They cut less aggressively and that reduces the tendency "grab" the work.
I use Milwaukee step drills which are fairly priced and for a lower cost one there is Samona which is pretty good and nearly half the cost of the Milwaukee.

I could probably tell the difference ;)

As I'm sure any reasonably competent machinist could...

Canadian Tire sells mostly junk now, not much better than a dollar store but they have varying quality.
As for the dollar stores, I don't go to them and I certainly wouldn't buy any kind of tool in there...:eek:

Would you be surprised to know I found the same manufacturer stamp on a "Power Fist", "Mastercraft" and a "Craftsman" planer and drill press cast housing?

They all come out of the same Chinese facory :p

So why not go for the best bang for the buck?
(Yeah, I know they aren't good brands, but for prototyping and occasional custom builds, it's all I need)

I have three qualities of bits on hand I've found optimum for my prototyping work:

- A set of top notch HSS for wood/plastic.
- A set of where-I-can-get-'em-cheap Titaniums for aluminum chassis.
- A set of cobalts for steel/thick aluminum.

As for the hand/press issue, it's all up to one thing - experience.

Cheers!

no_brain.jpg

Cheers!
I would like to revise my list and add laser cutting to the top. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.