Time to ask questions about how and why it was recorded that way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
modern recording.jpg

Dan.

Joined 2014
Paid Member

Johnathan 'JJ' Jeczalik https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._J._Jeczalik

He was Trevor Horn's fairlight programmer and therefore central to the sound of ABC and Frankie.

If you were a teenager in the 80s and liked PHAT synth you had the 12" of 'relax' which really allow you to listen to how they layered track after track of Fairlight and Sequential Prophet. Pure synthetic pop. But has a DR of 12!

The college I went to bought Trevor's SSL console but he kept the Focusrite channels so it had an empty sidecar.

As for Horn and JJ Jeczalic: Trevor owned a studio and record company while JJ owned a flightcased Fairlight CMI then they met and the rest is pop history.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Correction, it was a jupiter 8 not a sequential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFLBIamw7SE if you can't handle the whole thing listen from 2:30 to 3:30 and that gives you a feel for what they team of horn/JJ and steve Lipson managed to create. It's held up quite well really compared to some other 80s synthpop.

I should have bought a Jupiter 8 when I had a chance in 1986. hey ho.

Johnathan 'JJ' Jeczalik https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._J._Jeczalik

He was Trevor Horn's fairlight programmer and therefore central to the sound of ABC and Frankie.

If you were a teenager in the 80s and liked PHAT synth you had the 12" of 'relax' which really allow you to listen to how they layered track after track of Fairlight and Sequential Prophet. Pure synthetic pop. But has a DR of 12!
Didn't know. I turned 20 in 1981. I was into all of this stuff. Saw T. Horn with the Art Of Noise in 1986. Duane Eddy came out to do the Peter Gunn thing to boot.

I played the Duck Rock LP to DEATH!

Loved the Prophet 5! My dad had one on loan for about 6 months. It belonged to Sound Arts Studio. I have a cassette tape of me in 1983 on a Teac 80-8, with a TR808, Roland SH101, and an Ibanez Multi Mode delay trying to be like Devo. I'll dig it up.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Correction, it was a jupiter 8 not a sequential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFLBIamw7SE if you can't handle the whole thing listen from 2:30 to 3:30 and that gives you a feel for what they team of horn/JJ and steve Lipson managed to create. It's held up quite well really compared to some other 80s synthpop.

I should have bought a Jupiter 8 when I had a chance in 1986. hey ho.

Sounds pretty good, drums and bass sound a bit distorted and unnatural, no offence.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
DO NOT repeat my mistake and buy the 2004 Trevor Horn 2-CD compliation called "Produced by Trevor Horn" as it has been REMASTERED TO PIECES.
Originals (on CD and vinyl!) by Yes, Propaganda, AoN, FGTH, Grace Jones were pretty good, but some deaf old guy pressed the hot button for this sizzler.
I NEVER play mine, so please take it off my hands. Offers start at $9. Like new.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
I am curious what components are you using to listen and make your judgments.

Well, tried different systems including the car .

Drums sound artificial always, reminds me of Jan Hammers "Crocket's Theme" Miami vice. It is as if someone took a drum sample and cut off the initial thump out of it. I can tell electronic drums easily they sound cleaner on speakers.

The bass - wee it seemed more like a buzz rather than a real humming bass guitar.

My opinion.:)

Well, tried different systems including the car .

Drums sound artificial always, reminds me of Jan Hammers "Crocket's Theme" Miami vice. It is as if someone took a drum sample and cut off the initial thump out of it. I can tell electronic drums easily they sound cleaner on speakers.

The bass - wee it seemed more like a buzz rather than a real humming bass guitar.

My opinion.:)

The drums are a machine and not intended to sound live it's part of the production value of the song, Linn Drum Machine had a particular sound.
As far as the Bass it a sample that has been processed what do you expect.
If you are expecting the sound of a band in a room it ain't going to happen, these songs were crafted in the studio with samples and sequencers. If this style of production does not please you it is understandable these songs are an acquired taste.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Oh I like the sound of those drums, cleaner that the real drums, but I was a little puzzled about the fact that if it is 'sampled' - meaning an actual drum was recorded and played back over and over in a loop? Or was it an electronically created sound?

Either way its ok, just to clarify.:)

Those drum sounds come from a drum machine called the LinnDrum
The sounds on it are 8 bit samples of real drums.
But because you must use a sequencer, build into the drum machine, it can't ever sound like real drums. So its an electronically created sound.
Btw I have both a Linn 9000 and a Forat 9000, they are the successors of this particular drum machine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.