• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TI TPA6120A2 OpAmp Breakout Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

I've set up a small business to sell small hobby audio gear. The first thing I'm selling is an assembled breakout board for the Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 OpAmp. Which is almost impossible to mount with out the proper surface mount equipment. My board converts the proprietary TI PowerPad package to standard through-hole.

More info's available at AstrusLabs.com

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
From your photos, and your web site, it's not clear what you are selling. You show both a bare PWB and an assembled module. The description text talks about the impressive features of the IC but doesn't really describe what you are selling.

Is the IC included with the PWB, or are you selling only the PWB? Is the IC soldered in place or does the purchaser do that? And, same questions about the header pins.

Dale

not a lot of copper there either, this is the second time this week ive seen this device used without enough copper to be of much use (at least you gave some, the other one didnt have any at all) you should look at including vias to a solid copper layer on the bottom, otherwise power will be limited. I would suggest the need for having the option for the rail decoupling caps on the adapter, this is a fast IC, decoupling the on the PCB you plug the adapter into will not do much good, it will be too remote and after the inductive pins

Thanks for asking Dale,
I am happy to say the board does come pre-assembled, with headers and all. The aim of this board is make this IC more accessible to DIYers with modest equipment.

And qusp,
Thanks for the tip on the decoupling caps. I'll see if I can squeeze them in if I choose to do another batch.

Also, I think I failed to mention before: I'm selling these things though ebay (link), and there's more pictures up there for anyone who's interested.

no worries, I actually think it could be quite a useful little PCB if you provide the basics on the adapter. really the option to place the feedback network on the adapter would be ideal as well. if you do provide double sided with vias to the copper layer, just make sure to erode it underneath the input and output pins or you could get oscillation.

it really is quite a wide bandwidth/fast slewing device, so it needs some care in layout, it was originally developed as an ADSL driver, so was designed to amplify HF signals and if you dont stop them from appearing on the rails or the input/output via RF or parasitics, it will take them from the air.

Last edited:
no worries, I actually think it could be quite a useful little PCB if you provide the basics on the adapter. really the option to place the feedback network on the adapter would be ideal as well. if you do provide double sided with vias to the copper layer, just make sure to erode it underneath the input and output pins or you could get oscillation.

it really is quite a wide bandwidth/fast slewing device, so it needs some care in layout, it was originally developed as an ADSL driver, so was designed to amplify HF signals and if you dont stop them from appearing on the rails or the input/output via RF or parasitics, it will take them from the air.

i agree, i think this is a really interesting little adapter and a through-hole daughterboard would make it interesting to me. i would like to have the ability to put the feedback network and decoupler on the daughterboard itself to ensure it wont oscillate (and a proper groundplane for thermal dissipation so it can be driven to higher effects without overheating).

i'd buy a few if you head down this path (assuming it came with the package attached to the pcb since it is hard to solder the thermal pad without proper kit).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.