Threshold FET-nn Pre-Amps - Anti-Static Concerns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody with experience with these products -

On a scale of 1-10 (1=Nearly NO Concern / 10 = Very Delicate & Problematic)
How concerned to I need to be about anti-static measures when removing the boards from the chassis to replace a few caps?

I would assume that the Phono / Line Stage board is potentially of more concern than the Motherboard / Power Regulator board.

I USUALLY wear a static strap and work on a mat as a general precaution /
touch something grounded before touching any part of almost ANY semi-modern Circuit Board Assembly (I'm a big believer in "Better SAFE than SORRY", and we're in the cool and dry time of year in these parts.)

However, do I really need to exercise more serious measures for these units?

If you apply the good practices you prone I think you should be fine, they weren't built by antistatic virgins from outer space anyway...

EDIT: When I am really concerned about that stuff I usually put a (conductive) clamp across the pins of each FET, not sure it's usefull though..

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
Good info that a rookie like me needs
(Particularly, since I do not officially "own" it yet, and I want to avoid boogering it up.)

And I see (4) of those little 3N172 4-legged tin-can bugs on the Line / Phono PCBA.

Fortunately, they do not appear to be directly coupled to anything that I'll be messing-with (but I WILL exercise a little caution nevertheless).

So, does "THE MAN" do this from memory, or does he consult his schematics or log-book?

Yeah - I'm REALLY looking forward to firing this baby up and hearing the difference.
I'm presently using the Pre-Amp Section of a "classic" NAD 7020PE

The Threshold, being "REAL HiFi", even at its advanced age should still be SUBSTANTIALLY better (particularly, the phono section)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.