*Thousands Sold*, Great Reviews... Received Fake AD797 Like LM741. Did You Buy These?

A word of warning here before I left Which I exposed the first details in America of Amazon separating itself from Amazon Marketplace---legally , went on their website , got the small print legal details and posted them on Which .

Most were surprised but some scorned it not believing till I posted a link proving my post .
While Amazon itself sells that is fully covered but not the Marketplace ,which as we all know is full of scammers .

You could say --"well Amazon are just covering themselves" but the other side of the coin is they are allowing the scams to take place in the first place by providing a platform for them.

Yes David as I still get the UK public's complaints they are full of "free gifts " deposited at their door by Amazon contractors to boost the rating figures of the product. Amazon take no action on this when complained to going by the majority of emails.

I'm not sure if it differs any if you request the cancellation as the buyer or not, but that certainly wasn't the case when one of my purchases was cancelled by the seller without me asking.

Yeah, it appears a seller doing a cancel is treated differently.

I sold an item this spring which tested good before I listed it, but I found an intermittent before shipping it. I canceled the sale. The buyer was of course bummed but appreciated the honesty and left me positive feedback for saving us both a lot of hassle.

Wikipedia is perhaps the last place one should look for valid information.

Well, the whole point about Wikipedia is that anyone can edit it, so if there's something you see which needs improving in some way you can go ahead and edit it yourself, as long as you have reliable sources to back up your changes.

Having said that, I have had my head bitten off for edits in controversial areas, and now stick to hopefully non-controversial subjects. Attic numerals, polytonic fonts, that sort of thing.

My interest was piqued because the Wikipedia page for the Consumers' Association reads a bit like an advert, despite misgivings on the talk page. However, no-one has given me any useable leads on the subject, so I'm staying clear of it.

Apologies for derailing this thread, let's get back to the more pressing matter of fake silicon.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Now is that a ratings scam or are they just going to take your money and maybe ship some fake rubbish. Giving people like this your PayPal account details makes me nervous

I reported this review solicitation to Amazon. This undermines all my legit uncompensated reviews (some have helped many people). It is not clear that Amazon actually cares but they make noises once in a while.

I had received real OPA1612 in a first (small) test order. So I placed another order (for 20 pieces) from the same seller and received fakes that measure 40 nV/rtHz at 1kHz!

AliExpress rejected the dispute! (Rejection attached.) Has anyone any experience/advice dealing with AliExpress on this?

The attached images are:
1. Dispute Rejection From AliExpress

2a. Noise of Real OPA1612 & LNA (measured w/60 dB LNA consisting of 3|| 2SB737 & OPA228)
2b. Noise of Fake OPA1612 & LNA (measured w/60 dB LNA consisting of 3|| 2SB737 & OPA228)

3a. Picture of Fake OPA1612
3b. Picture of Genuine OPA1612

Attachments

• Rejection.png
    Rejection.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 220
  • PROOF GUIDE MEASUREMENTS AND MANUFACTURER SPECIFICATIONS.png
    PROOF GUIDE MEASUREMENTS AND MANUFACTURER SPECIFICATIONS.png
    644.1 KB · Views: 212
  • PROOF GUIDE.png
    PROOF GUIDE.png
    143 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
That's a shame, sorry to hear that. I've only bought a couple of things from Aliexpress and they worked fine. After your experience I might not buy much else there though.

I just had a similar experience with ebay. Bought a pair of slippers, should have been sized 12 and new. What I got were size 11 and were disgustingly dirty inside, caked in what appeared to be dead skin mixed with something sticky. The seller simply refused my return request and the case was closed, nothing I can do about it other than leave bad feedback.

Something I have learnt about Ebay & AliExpress orders... Before I built the LNA and before I built the Hall notch filter (for low level distortion measurements) I thought that many of my AliExpress orders went well.

However now that I can measure the noise and distortion I have discovered that the vast majority of the low distortion/low noise audio op-amps are just remarked 358, 4558, 741 and TL071/72/81/82 series. The problem is severely widespread.

Also measuring the input bias current, input offset voltage and quiescent current detects a reasonable number of fakes.

Jumping from ordering just one piece to ordering 20? I can imagine the sellers grin when he saw that order. Apart from that I can only quote Mark from the first page of this thread.

It was a calculated risk. Lower price, greater probability of unhappiness.

You got what you paid for. People who pay DigiKey's higher price, get what they paid for too. Everyone is a winner.

With so many smart people in the audio, electronics and maker communities, what leads some people to the conclusion that their risk assessment capabilities trump those of the vast majority? I just don't get it.

If its a private seller on eBay the goods must be= "as described " ( in brackets ) but not legally required to be of "satisfactory quality " /"fit for the purpose " ( both in brackets ).

AliExpress is goods from China via their equivalent of Amazon Marketplace , while AliExpress actually go through a procedure their standard of quality is not assured due to the large number of factories supplying the wholesale trade , Alibaba the business side has an assured higher standard.

There are many websites advising about --"you get what you pay for " IE- if its cheap don't expect a high standard .

Would not surprise me one bit, after all, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & Youtube are an intelligence agency's wet dream, no more need to spy on the citizenry, just check their social media. That is not by accident either, but by design.

Then there's Google.... you don't think all those billion dollar data centres and state of the art AI systems are just for targeting advertising....

Well I would not call this "Schadenfreude" per se if you always read "you get what you pay for". It is frustrating to see this well meant sermon being ignored again and again. Ali Baba is a bazaar with little ethics or none at all, this should be common knowledge meanwhile. And this has been documented here once again.

Oh I can get lots of obsolete transistors from China for cheap, it's just that these parts come from disassembled amplifiers. But they are so cheap that I accept the associated risks (and I test them one by one before soldering them in of course). ;)

Your supply of second hand electronic parts has come to an end --in January electronic waste imports was banned due to children being contaminated as young as 6 with lead poisoning.

Once the storage runs out that's it and I doubt even those Chinese who like a good profit are going to defy the CPC.