Those tiresome RCA/chinch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm so tired of the stupid home use RCA standard with connectors getting stuck because of bad tolerances and rotating chassieplugs so I'm thinking about ditching it in my own DIY gear and set me a new standard. Since all my gear are stereo I'm thinking why not use the same plug for both and dont having to find those in the dark invisible colourcoding also and put everything in one plug? I think I'm leaning on 4-pole XLR for unbalanced linelevel stereo. Can anyone think of technical or practical downsides? I can think of splitting from stereo-pre to dual monoblocks but heck I'd make an adaptercable in 5 minutes. In the single ends I think I will prefer the pro lab gear BNC insted of my hate objects RCA. Thoughts lads?

Attachments

• Male4PinXLR.JPG
    Male4PinXLR.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 211
Unless you need to disconnect and reconnect your equipment frequently, replacing chassis RCA terminals with quality ones and fitting your cables with good RCA plugs will solve the problem. I use Neutrik ProFi which do not have any issues. I do remove cables for cleaning only once a year, though.
I have never seen the 4-pole Cannon used for stereo connection but I can see no downsides to do so.

Captain Obvious here, but the first thing I would do if going non-standard would be to solder up some adapter pigtails so you can plug in standard rca stuff. Easy enough, then go as non-standard as you want. RCA plugs do suck, for the most part. If you use female chassis for input and male chassis for output, it can avoid stupid human tricks that are way to easy with rca plugs. Captain Obvious signing off!

Many pieces of older "HiFi" equipment used 5pin din (and others) to connect multiple signals.
Very convenient !
Tape In/Out, Left & Right + Returns, Pre Out + Pre In (to power amp)

I have started to convert some of my equipment to XLR for each channel using 3pin.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thank you for comments and suggestions. Actually I find it strange that the only thing that gets close to being standard in -10 dBV consumer audio connections on the SE side is RCA, a standard once invented by the company with the same name for the use of Very Short Internal Mono cabling.

Well then there is XLR/Cannon where the dual 3-pol is fairly standard for + 4dBV Balanced Pro Line Level Signals.

I for one is shifting cables like a madman when testing DIY-stuff and I have grown to hate those RCAs that is screw tightened and had my hand blooded more then once when shifting cables in listening tests. Plug out and plug in shall be swift in my world.

I had forgotten about DIN, probably because all I remember is those one piece cast stuff that were in junk stuff from my childhood. But Naim still hugs that standard, claiming it to be better then RCA. And now there seems to be HQ connectory from the famous Deutsche Industrie Norm so I think I agree. They are certainly right in that it is stupid to have separate earth-returns between SE devices as RCA standard invites you to. Small loop there directly.

That doesnt occur in the balanced world though, where the earth is not involved in the signal transporting in the same way.

One could establish this standard on the DIY stuff at home:

5-pol DIN: BAL/SE Phono Line Level Dual Mono with Separate earth

3-pol DIN: SE Consumer Line Level Stereo with Common earth

4-pol DIN: SE Consumer Line Level Dual Mono

2x3-pol DIN: BAL Consumer Line Level Dual Mono with Separate Earths

3-pol XLR: SE Pro Line Level Stereo with Common earth

4-pol XLR: SE Pro Line Level Dual Mono

2x3-pol XLR: BAL Pro Line Level Dual Mono with Separate Earths

What thinks?

Last edited:
In the distant past I have used 3 pin Cannon connectors for unbalanced interconnect cables.
At another time I built DIY pre-amps with captive cables. That is no chassis jacks, the cables were permanently connected inside the chassis. But that was before I knew about the pin 1 problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.