Thorens TD-125 MKII Improvements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
Some years back I restored and modded a 1976 Thorens TD-125 MKII.
I basically bought the deck half dismantled and not working, Got it running again and built a new solid plinth and fitted a Jelco 750E 10" tonearm and and Benz MC pickup. Initially had problems with it stopping, which I solved by reflowing the circuit board and replacing the caps. Since then it's been running reliably, but I've always noticed that the speed wasn't 100% stable (strobe "dancing" ever so slightly).
Well, the other day I decided to investigate further and found out that the motor pulley had a bit of runout. The motor shaft was straight, so I ordered an aluminium pulley for it. That kept throwing the belt, so whilst waiting for a replacement pulley, I decided to put the original back in. I turns out that had been mounted wrong all along, with spring at the bottom, the two plastic halves in the middle and the brass retainer at the top. The spring however goes between the two plastic halves.... Now the motor speed is much, much more stable.... :D So, if you're having trouble with the motor speed, make sure the pulley if fitted correctly!
Having had a taste of success, and a bit of spare time, I decided to try out an improvement I'd read about - filling the inner platter (a spare I have) with putty. The improvement in the bass of the deck ist absolutely astonishing!
Try this - as weird as it may sound!
full

Cheers

Es

Last edited:
Interesting experience, can you show a photo of what you have done to the inner platter?
Do you think it's workable for 126?

Hi!
Yes, I'm certain it will work in 126 as well - I had one, and I think the platters are identical (possibly apart from the bearing diameter?).
full

That's what it looks like. The putty is called "Plastic-Fermit" and is available in hardware stores, amazon etc. in Germany.
I only had a quick go at balancing the platter, but the speed and vibrations seem OK.

Cheers

Es

Hi!
Yes, I'm certain it will work in 126 as well - I had one, and I think the platters are identical (possibly apart from the bearing diameter?).
full

That's what it looks like. The putty is called "Plastic-Fermit" and is available in hardware stores, amazon etc. in Germany.
I only had a quick go at balancing the platter, but the speed and vibrations seem OK.

Cheers

Es
Nice work, how did you balance the inner-platter?

I used almost an entire pot - 500g - of the stuff.
The wooden plinth is made of two layers of 18mm plywood, covered in Wenge veneer. It isn't dampened, but pretty dead as it is.
The metal chassis I've dampened using "Dynomat" (or similar - for cars), but I havent gone overboard.

Cheers

Es

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.