Thomann T. Racks DSP 408 Fan Noise

IMG_8734.jpeg

I recently picked up a Thomann FIR DSP408 speaker management system as an upgrade from my Dayton Audio DSP408. It’s an absolute beast of a unit: 96kz sampling, XLR ins and outs and no noise at all whatsoever in the signal. However, because it’s designed for PA reinforcement in questionable conditions, presumably loaded into racks with amps and little ventilation, it has a fan that runs all of the time. That’s a bonus for pro audio, but for home use, it’s a deal breaker that defeats the low noise floor of the signal.

So, for home use with constant 70° ambient temperatures and adequate ventilation, is there any reason to have the fan running at all? Are there aftermarket fan controls that I could use to slow the fan to a whisper? The T. Racks otherwise works very well and is about a third the price of comparable units, I just can’t tolerate the fan noise.

I swapped the fan on my non FIR version to a silent one (noctua or something), and tore out the "grille" protecting the fan as it also made sound, turbulence or something. It's still audible, but not annoying anymore, similar to other noise around. I guess it could be left out altogether, try measure temperature inside the box somehow to be sure.

edit, Noctua it is. And dusty :D air coming out feels "cold" after the machine has been on about 8h now, so I suspect it could be tuned down considerably, or even left unconnected.

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_163102.jpg
    IMG_20240408_163102.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: 1 users
I'd keep some level of fan in the unit. There is a huge difference between still air and even a slight breeze. I've got a PC P/S that has a variable speed fan and usually runs silently it spins so slow. But one day I smelled resistor burning and sure enough, the fan had stuck. Replaced it an smell was gone.

Reactions: 1 user
I swapped the fan on my non FIR version to a silent one (noctua or something), and tore out the "grille" protecting the fan as it also made sound, turbulence or something. It's still audible, but not annoying anymore, similar to other noise around. I guess it could be left out altogether, try measure temperature inside the box somehow to be sure.

edit, Noctua it is. And dusty :D air coming out feels "cold" after the machine has been on about 8h now, so I suspect it could be tuned down considerably, or even left unconnected.
this is useful. Do you recall how many wires the fan has?