This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bricolo said:
but the 1000µF TOTAL capacitance per rail seems really low.

A few mathemetics:

ask a 1 Farad cap to deliver 1 Ampere, it will loose 1 volt per second

do this with a 1000µF one, it will loose 1000 Volt per second, in a 100Hz period (i'm in europe, 50Hz AC, 100Hz after the rectifier bridge) wich is 0.01s, it will loose 10V

this is with 1 amp, with 2.5 amp you totally discharge your cap between 2 transformer periods

Basically correct, except for one thing. You only draw near maximum current (say 4 amps) over an entire power line cycle for frequencies much lower than 2x the line frequency (50 or 60 Hz). For higher frequencies, the RMS current is significantly less than the maximum current (2.8 amps) and, more importantly, it is split evenly between the plus and minus supplies (now only 1.4 amps). The voltage drop is still more than 10V. This probably isn't a big big deal given the supply rejection of the chip. It just limits the transient power of the amplifier.

This same argument explains why the low bass firms up with more capacitance. You can get 4 amps draw from one supply at low, but not unreasonably low, frequencies. In this case, you will seriously drain the supply and be lucky to get even 15 good-sounding Watts for your bass.

Physics can't tell you everything about an amplifier, but it can certainly tell you when your capacitor runs out of electrons.

Jeremy

MRehorst said:
I can imagine no scenario where high ripple in a power supply is going to make an amp sound "better". It may make it sound different, but adding hum and/or distortion or whatever the effect of high ripple in the supply will be, is not my idea of hi-fi.

The key phrase here being "not my idea."

What may "sound better" is wholly determined by the particular individual experiencing the sound. And there's simply no arguing about individual tastes and preferences. To do otherwise is like arguing that the music you listen to is the only "real music" and the music others listen to is just a bunch of crap.

What is the purpose of listening to music if not for our own personal satisfaction? As long as one is satisfied with the result, who cares how that result was achieved?

Should music and the associated equipment used to reproduce it serve us, or are we to serve it? I don't know about you, but I don't care to be any sort of slave.

It is a source of great personal frustration that so many people choose ignorance over education.

Why should you feel any sort of frustration simply because someone prefers the sound of their amplifier with far less supply filtering than you would prefer?

What has this to do with education or ignorance? Are you saying these people are too stupid to know what they subjectively like or dislike? That somehow if they become "educated" that their subjective preferences will somehow change?

Now, I can understand being frustrated when people make objective claims based on ignorance. But I fail to see how people simply subjectively preferring something which you may not subjectively prefer should be any source of frustration at all.

If 1,000uF filter caps gives someone more goosebumps or gets their foot tappin' more than using 10,000uF, so what?

se

UrSv said:

Read back through the last few posts or the whole thread and make your choice. The orthodox GC followers seem to prefer 1000 uF for 18 VDC and/or 2200 uF for the higher supplies. People following other class AB recommendations like more. Some people like lots more. Others really don't know or care. I would say that this is where you will have to decide for yourself...

ok, for all the components, shall i just try the circuit with whatever components i have? (all the correct values and ratings)

for the capactitor here (see fig. 1) i have a load of capacitors that look like this (see fig. 2) (not the same writing on them by the way, just the same colour and shape), will they be ok, or do i need some completely different? like this? (ive seen a few of them used) (see fig. 3)

Attachments

• capacitors.jpg
    capacitors.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,317
Matttcattt said:

ok, for all the components, shall i just try the circuit with whatever components i have? (all the correct values and ratings)

for the capactitor here (see fig. 1) i have a load of capacitors that look like this (see fig. 2) (not the same writing on them by the way, just the same colour and shape), will they be ok, or do i need some completely different? like this? (ive seen a few of them used) (see fig. 3)

They look fine! Try all of them, and use the one you think sounds best!;) (I've heard good things about the MKS4)

Matttcattt said:
[edit]: i have just ordered 5 LM3875TF samples. :D where can i get samples of all the other components? :devilr:

just got an E-mail from NS: i need to get them from a local suplier, only my local suplier (acording to the NS website) doesnt do samples :(

where in england can i buy them? maplin dont sell them. RS sell the LM3875T version but i would prefer the LM3875TF version :(.

i wanted free components :bawling:

Matttcattt said:

just got an E-mail from NS: i need to get them from a local suplier, only my local suplier (acording to the NS website) doesnt do samples :(

where in england can i buy them? maplin dont sell them. RS sell the LM3875T version but i would prefer the LM3875TF version :(.

i wanted free components :bawling:

Then you should start thinking of trying OP549s. The TI samples are backordered now, but they deliver.

About the 3875 T version, if it's available go for it.

BTW: does anyone know where I can get mica or silicone pads for 3875 or OP549 sizes? What is better?

Carlos

carlmart said:

Then you should start thinking of trying OP549s. The TI samples are backordered now, but they deliver.

BTW: does anyone know where I can get mica or silicone pads for 3875 or OP549 sizes? What is better?

Carlos

OPA548 and OPA541 are also good!

You use ordinary top3/to247 pads...

Matttcattt said:

I tried the MKS4 once in a dac and I did not like it. Anyway, 0.047 uF is FAR too low! You need at least 1 uF, but 2-5 uF is better. I don't know the values of the other type. I think that I would prefer a standard 100 uF elco to a MKS4 cap...

Fedde

Bricolo said:
I haven't finished my gainclone for now (still waiting for the transformer)

but the 1000µF TOTAL capacitance per rail seems really low.

A few mathemetics:

ask a 1 Farad cap to deliver 1 Ampere, it will loose 1 volt per second

do this with a 1000µF one, it will loose 1000 Volt per second, in a 100Hz period (i'm in europe, 50Hz AC, 100Hz after the rectifier bridge) wich is 0.01s, it will loose 10V

this is with 1 amp, with 2.5 amp you totally discharge your cap between 2 transformer periods

You make a point but there are some other sides of the story. I use 1000 uF at 36 V. First of all, 1A at 36V is still 36 W. And this is for only one of the supply sides. Plus, after the peaks of the sinus on the mains supply the caps will not go down directly (they can't go under the dc supply of the toroid, well a little bit due to the voltage over the diodes). And then you have lost 10V, this is not very bad for the opamp due to the PSRR.

Still, the bass can loose some control. This is more of a 'choice' than a side effect. The effect is that the bass is more soft&pleasant and the high tones are fast&dynamic. This contrast is maybe the thing that makes this amp so wonderful.

Another point. I think this amp is not to be used as a 'Power Amp'. Purely for control, a more standard amp with large supply could be better. But when paired with good high-efficiency speakers (where hardly more than 1 W is used during normal listening conditions) this amp is awesome!

Fedde

p.s. Maybe 1000 uF is too low for my 36V supply. I have tried an extra 1000 uF and it has advantages and disadvantages...
I will go to 25 V supply lateron.

carlmart said:

Carlos

As mentioned yu may use TO-218/247/264/3-P pads but there is also a dedicated MultiWatt pad which basically nobody carries it seems. Only place so far is Schuro (http://www.schuro.de/). If you use Aluminum oxide pads than there is no problem at all IMHO.

Cap types

fedde said:

I tried the MKS4 once in a dac and I did not like it. Anyway, 0.047 uF is FAR too low! You need at least 1 uF, but 2-5 uF is better. I don't know the values of the other type. I think that I would prefer a standard 100 uF elco to a MKS4 cap...

Wima MKS4 are polyester types, which are probably good enough but far from extraordinary. Siemens stacked film types are probably better, for polyester.

Polyester is the less good of the film types. If you can find them you should try polycarbonate types or polypropylene, or go for exotic $$$ foil types.

For the gainclone, the value has to be at least 1uF or more, preferably 2.2uF or 4.7uF. Some report good results from using Black Gates at the input, though I never used them.

Carlos

Re: Cap types

carlmart said:

Wima MKS4 are polyester types, which are probably good enough but far from extraordinary. Siemens stacked film types are probably better, for polyester.

Polyester is the less good of the film types. If you can find them you should try polycarbonate types or polypropylene, or go for exotic $$$ foil types.

For the gainclone, the value has to be at least 1uF or more, preferably 2.2uF or 4.7uF. Some report good results from using Black Gates at the input, though I never used them.

Carlos

Ups! I was mistaken, I meant I had heard good things about the Wima MKP4:eek:

Matttcattt said:
they arnt MKS4's, that was the most similar picture on the rs website. i have about 20 1uf ones but ony one 2.2uf one, should i use 2 1uf ones in serial or parrellel?

i hvaent checke TI yet, does anyone know of anywhere else i might be able to get free samples? (england, UK)

2*1uF in paralell= 2uF.

2*1uF in series=0,5uF.

having cake and eating it too

Some have suggested here that relatively high capacitance in the powersupply is good for bass and not so good for mid/high, and vice versa for low capacitance.

Accordingly, would it make sense - if
building a gainclone pair for bi-amplification - to tailor the PS differently for the woofer section vs. the mid/tweeter section? And could this be done by putting two pairs of bridges off of one secondary, with different filtering caps on each, or would it would require two entirely separate secondaries (or, more expensively) separate transformers?

TIA,
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.