This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Selfmade said:

What kind of capacitor would you recommend?

1. BG standard 1500 µF

2. BG FK 1000 µF

3. BG N 680 µF

I never tried FK caps.

I don't think BG STD is available in 1500u value, but they will sound very crisp , with clear, natural voices and high resolution in the highs. The N type is a bit more laid back, with less agressivness and less edge, but are also more refined. Slightly less forward than STD version. I'm personally using 1000 N type BG, but I don't think that price justifies their superiority. Actually, some people preferred STD caps over type N. All this for GC power supply, in the DAC I would only use N type, STD is too forward and somewhat bright.

your mother's GC

the "belt and suspenders" gainclone:

Attachments

• completed.jpg
    completed.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,365
The panel is self made on my milling machine. It is not finished yet. The aluminium must be grinded and anodized.

Peter, your are right. The idea for the design comes from NP AX.
Would you recommend the inverted or the non inverted GC?
With one sound better?

Today I bought 4 BG FK 2200 µF 35 V for the GC.
I hope this was the right choise. I will compare the GC with my JLH in 3 weeks.

regards

Günter

the milling machine I use is a "WABECO 1210". It is made in Germany and the qualitity is very high. It costs 2300 €. Its much money, but its worth every cent.

The motor has 1,4 kW and it has variable speed (poti).

The table is 600 x 200 m. So it is not problem to work with panels of 500 mm size.

The machine you mentioned has a very small table, the speed is not variabel and you are not able to do 30° oder 45 ° works because the head is fix.

Peter: Have you tried to put the capacitors into lead (instead of plastic) for better damping?

regards

Günter

here are pics of the new enclosure

for my latest set of gc.
psu and 2 channel in this case.
Size 8" wide, 12" deep, 3 "high
gold alodyne
extra separation piece inside
Par-Metal
Cost $54 including shipping
took about 10 days to get from Arlington, NJ to Seattle, WA

J-P

Attachments

• goldgc1.jpg
    goldgc1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,314
I got an original GC from Peter Daniel and WOW. :D
Thanks Peter. Your workmanship is also perfect. The amp is just gourgeous.

I'm listening to the GC on my second system with a little ROTEL CDX-965B CD Player and my trusty Axiom 3Ti speakers.

The sound is just incredible! :bigeyes: I hear small details in the music that I never heard before on this system. The bass is full and tight. The highs are sweet. The background is dead silent. I can't believe that such a good sound is coming from this simple amp. I can't wait to compare it to my Aleph 30. I will also try my superDAC (I'm putting it in a case right now. It is in separate parts now. So it won't be available for a few weeks.

The only problem I had was with my DIY speaker cables. I'm using the TNT Triple T CAT5 cable. It is using a braid of 6 CAT5 cables, see http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/triple_t_e.html

The problem was with the hights. There was some distorsion, on passage with lots of treble. I tried different tests and in the back of my mind I remembered comments on the original Labs 47 Gain Clone. It was supposed to be sensitive to cable with lot of capacitance or inductance.

I installed a Zobel at the speaker, 10R and 0.1uF. It works like magic!

Now the sound is just great.

Thanks again Peter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.