Things you hate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The fact that these CDs sound completely lifeless and flat seems to be of no interest.

it's actually the mastering labs who can do the most damage. It involves the "normalization" of a track which pushes all the peaks to a preset value basically eliminating most of the natural dynamics

Yes, poorly recorded CD's are something we hate :mad:

I have 4 children, so no analog source for a while.

I have discovered that CD's that I like the best, I mean with wich I can make an easier emotional contact, are old classical music records from the 50's and 60's (ADD) remastered with 20 or 24 bit technique. In spite of background noise I feel more "human" sound. Once I read a paper (forgot where) in wich the author stated that the best records in that regard were those in wich the mic preamp was a good tube one and that it is really easy to guess wich one was recorded in this manner. I also like "living stereo" CD collection sound wich was recorded with passive mic preamp. No compression there.

Just my humble opinion.

Regards
M

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
tlf9999 said:

anyone can make a claim. only those who can prove their claims add to our collective understanding.

I would have thought that anything that provokes us into thinking and on a road of self discovery also adds to our collective understanding (provided we share our findings). Just because there are no hard facts doesn't mean that it can't help improve knowledge.

If every scientist said "hogwash there’s no proof" every time someone came up with a new hypothesis then we would still be in the dark ages! It is things that we don't understand, and then try to understand that IMO truly teach us things :)

Tony.

maxlorenz said:

I have discovered that CD's that I like the best, I mean with wich I can make an easier emotional contact, are old classical music records from the 50's and 60's (ADD) remastered with 20 or 24 bit technique.
M

The original vinyl albums from that period go to Japanese collectors for outrageous sums too. Don't over look the jazz recordings from the same period.

There are probably no absolute reasons for the technical quality, however, equipment at that time was pretty noisy so engineers tried to avoid convaluted signal paths including equalizers & compressors. Therefore microphone selection & placement was critical and a pre-eminent factor in determining the sound. "Fix-it-in-the-mix" was not a viable option at the time, the take had to be right. In those days, before convincing artificial reverbs, these studios also had to have incredible natural recording spaces, the likes of which (due in part to construction & real estate costs) barely exist today.

However, a large number of contemporary recordings are still tracked and mixed to analog tape (1/2" being the prefered 2 track format) so it's not nessercerily a digital path/analog path thing.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
maxlorenz said:
Thanks Tony (is it a Fractal structure in your pick?)...

I have some of Verve's CD reissues from Ella, Ella and Louis, Stan Getz. They are really good sounding.

M

Yes it is a fractal (from the mandelbrot set). It's a DIY one too ;) I wrote the program to generate it....

I have the verve remastered 24bit 96Khz "Ella and Louis" cd. It is one of the best sounding cd's I've heard, it blew me away when I heard it, I was expecting that due to the age of the recording it would be nothing special, man was I wrong!, absolutely magic :)

Tony.

wintermute said:

I have the verve remastered 24bit 96Khz "Ella and Louis" cd. It is one of the best sounding cd's I've heard, it blew me away when I heard it,

Also check out Verve's remastered Miles Davis series and the superb reissues of the Ruday Van Gelder Blue Note recordings. Rudy of course, recorded the albums in his Hackensack, NJ living room with home built equipment. In an interview (http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=1116) he claims to be remastering the CDs to sound as close to the vinyl as possible!

As an engineer myself, it's humbling to listen to some of these recordings, made under such "primitive" conditions and realize I would be hard pressed today to duplicate the quality.

Sch3mat1c said:
Hum....

4. Other ignorance in general. Stupidity I don't mind, because that can be cured by learning. True ignorance, the will to refuse any and all fact, is utterly dispicable.

Hm, I should've put #4 first... the others really are just corollaries of it.

Tim

People who confuse ignorance with stupidity ...

ignorance: the quality or state of being ignorant.
ignorant: 1 a : destitute of knowledge

stupidity: 1 : the quality or state of being stupid
stupid: 3 : marked by or resulting from dullness or unintelligent thinking : SENSELESS *a stupid refusal to be realistic W.F.Hambly*

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Circlotron said:
Cars with three names :rolleyes: e.g. Suzuki Swift Cino when there isn't even another model that it needs to differentiate itself from.

Cino might just be a trim level or a body configuration within the Swift line-up, you know, the usual LX/LE/DX/SE thing.

I thought the europeans use more "names" for trim designations than the US / Asian manufacturers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.