Things that go bump in the night...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you guys!

As I said earlier, it´s time for a fresh start anyway.
I´ve been working at an home for people with psychiatric problems for over 6 years and with my lack of "people skills" it hasn´t been either easy or very rewarding.
Regarding my ex, well, it was pretty much time for that to happen too...

The main problem now is how to sell of much of my audio stuff and pack the rest in boxes for storage. There´s no real hurry but I better get started with it to avoid finding myself in a very troubled position the day I get the house sold.
The midbass- and Kugelwellen horns are free for pick-up (without drivers) if anyone around my area is interested.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My horn adventures in the garden shed seems to be coming to an end.
Three days ago my boss recommended me to quit my job and today my GF broke up so there´s no possibility or reason to keep the house.
That´s life I guess...

I saw this a couple of days ago and was not able to reply at the time. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I can relate to both the job and GF issue having been there in the past. Things can only get better..

No possibility of finding a couple of rent paying "room mates" to help you cover the cost of mortgage and utilities, allowing you to keep your house and hobby intact?

Education can never hurt, particularly if it gets you to a place where a more interesting/challenging/suitable job is open to you.

Good luck!

Thanks Kevin!

I guess finding a couple of room mates would be a solution to that part of the problem but I´m not sure I want to stay in that house anyway.
I´ll definitely miss the garden sheds (one listening room, one workshop and one storage room) way more than the actual house.
The shape of the livingroom makes it next to useless for hifi and I won´t miss it...

As sort of a Grande Finale, I brought my horn system to the DIY Fair in Uppsala yesterday. The LF horns were cut in pieces and thrashed weeks ago so I used my old closed cabs with 15" woofers up to 130Hz.
It took quite a while before we (me and two friends) got the system to sound even half-decent but a pair of horn tweeters donated by Petter (Mr Multicell) saved the day.
I used my 12B4A CF amps from midbass and up and a borrowed Teac SS amp for the woofers. The Teac died an awful death at the end of the day during a Yello cranking session...:D

I take the liberty of borrowing a picture taken by one of the visitors:

Attachments

• Upps09_12.jpg
    Upps09_12.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 256
Thanks!

Sorry, this is the only picture taken so far, showing the left channel in a very temporary setup. I can share some info though:

40-150Hz: 90L Onken-tuned boxes with Eminence Beta 10A woofers
150-800Hz: 140Hz Tractrix (slightly truncated) with cheap 8" pro drivers
800-5000Hz: DIY multicell horns (Fc 285Hz 15 cells) with 2" P.Audio drivers
5k-~15kHz: DIY fibreglass/resin LeCleach horns, see the LeCleach horn thread (page ~90 for details). Eminence PSD2002 drivers.

Unfortunately my active XO gave up the ghost by going into violent oscillations, almost ruining both mid drivers and my underwear, so for now I´m using first order passive XO all the way through. Might build a better active XO someday or refine the passive ones, or try both.

The picture is taken in my livingroom but the plan is to build a dedicated room for the heavy hifi in another part of the house. Must tear down a couple of walls to achieve a decent sized rectangular room but hey, I´m a single man so why not? The cat won´t complain...:D

To be honest I´ll probably end up with a set of quite large speakers in the livingroom too even if I have a "man cave". Been thinking about a mono corner horn rig in my bedroom, too...:rolleyes:

Just a little off topic rant:

After the old house was sold I had no place to stay so I moved back in with my parents, not a pleasant experience when being 30 years old. Four days after leaving my job at the "nuthouse" for the last time a friend called and asked if I could come over to his job and help them out for a couple of weeks. Sure, working night shift in a mechanical workshop would suit me just fine! Weeks became months and just days ago it turned out that I´ve been there for a year, time to get hired or leave. I got hired.
About five months ago I bought a small house that suits my hobby and my wallet much better than the old one did.

Regarding my ex girlfriend it turned out that she had left me for a 15 years older married guy. Well, the best revenge is to lem him keep her... She moved in with him and his teenage daughters who competes with each other to make the life of their evil stepmother as miserable as possible...

Recently a former colleague called me and mentioned that the boss at my old job had been degraded and now works "on the floor", having quite a hard time as it seemed.

This whole story might be a bit like listening to one of those pathetic country songs and then hearing it again backwards, but there is a moral to come:

Don´t slack off at work, keep some money saved for a rainy day and stay the **** away from loose women.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sounds like you are doing well, and this is a good thing.. Yeah, I've had some similar experiences in the past so I can definitely relate. (House and girl..) Happily remarried years ago, but still looking for a job. :D

And you know what they say is the best revenge... Live well.. And that's what you are doing.. :D

Some pics of the stuff I´ve been working on lately:

DSC_0015.jpg

Front speakers for the livingroom, JBL 2202H with 1" P.Audio compression drivers and homemade 695Hz LeCleach horns

DSC_0024.jpg

Corner bass horns with Eminence Delta 10 drivers.

DSC_0014.jpg

My hobby room/mancave...

DSC_0011.jpg

Crossovers under construction.

Pano: Thanks! The crossovers might look worse than they are, second order 3way with some zobel and notch filters involved. The woofers will get their own amps and active crossovers later on. Yesterday a friend showed up with some equipment to help me with the crossover, after a few hours at 50% of the components were replaced with different values and the summed output was starting to resemble a flat line (except for above 4khz due to the HF drivers I´m using, they will be replaced later on).

The multicells are my own design, calculated with Petter Persson´s Excel sheet and built of 3mm plywood. They are covered with fibreglass and filled with polyester resin, quite heavy and "dead".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.