Thiel coherent source drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can buy those drivers directly from Thiel in KY, though I don't know how much they cost here. But why would you want to? Going by K+T's coax roundup of last year or maybe 2003 the Thiel driver seemed to be outclassed in distortion and FR by the readily available and much cheaper Seas H1144, despite the underhung motor of the Thiels. Now that Seas has a new version out with a tweeter that goes a good bit lower, I bet the gap is even wider.

Pardon me please, but the companies “Thiel Audio” in Kentucky and the “Thiel & Partner GmbH”, in Germany have no affiliation with each other, which is why Thiel & Partner GmbH market their products as “Accuton” for the North American market and as “Thiel” in Europe; a lot of confusion over that one because of the name. Over here, U.S.A., they are probably best known for their expensive Accuton ceramic and diamond drivers.

Actually, the driver we're discussing IS from Thiel of the Jim variety and not Thiel/Accuton. It's an underhung 6.5" aluminum cone woofer with a coincident dome tweeter, the same driver used in some of their own speakers. (See here.) Thiel speakers have almost no market penetration in the German-speaking world from what I've seen, so I guess they're less hesitant to sell surplus drive-units to hobbyists there than they would be in the USA.

(EDIT: Better link.)

Hey Pallas,

When you talk about the SEAS coax driver being better then the Thiel coax driver, are you then talking about the Jim Thiel SC3 driver, because it seems that this driver is really really good, the cumulus project (hobby hifi), or the one point monitor (K&T)where it is used in are, if I have to believe what I read on internet and in both magazines, amazing speakers. Do you know which K&T volume this round up was, because I'm curious about it.

cheers,

Jacob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.