Thermal Imaging Camera

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The main usage will be measuring the temperature of individual power transistors in (mainly) power amplifiers.
Was there a reason why a camera was needed, compared to say just a simpler spot temperature gun?
It just seems that if the intent was to get a good ball-park temperature of such parts then you are likely to need to apply the 'black patch' technique to each device of interest, or settle on a standardised comparison set-up.
Or perhaps you are just after a quick comparison of multiple devices that should all be somewhat close in outwardly-facing package temperature, and hence able to start further investigating any device that visually looks like an outlier.

Was there a reason why a camera was needed, compared to say just a simpler spot temperature gun?
It just seems that if the intent was to get a good ball-park temperature of such parts then you are likely to need to apply the 'black patch' technique to each device of interest, or settle on a standardised comparison set-up.
Or perhaps you are just after a quick comparison of multiple devices that should all be somewhat close in outwardly-facing package temperature, and hence able to start further investigating any device that visually looks like an outlier.

I just wanted an upgrade from my current spot meter (not a camera) and when fishing for the cheapest I could find, this was the lucky one. There was no time pressure and the current device is still functioning. Lest see what 200 Euro's and a lot of patience will get you :)

O.k. here a few pictures, sorry for the delay :)
Later I will show a few more.
My first impression is "It's o.k. especially at this price level"
I need to get used to it, and it's controls, maybe I will have a better/worst opinion then :)

Pictures,
A pair of rectifiers at 103.3degC
An amplifier at 72.7degC
Me at 32.9degC

Attachments

• IMG27.bmp
    150.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG33.bmp
    150.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG35.bmp
    150.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Pics look OK, but rather smoothed - is that a software option?

Glad I sprung for a camera (low-end) rather than spot-temp gun - it's helped me find/map: buried water pipes, structural building elements - eg lintels - hidden behind paint/plaster, door/window/junction heat-bridges/leaks, etc...

Far more than just electronics it was bought, and works v well for.

Doing that with a spot-temp gun wouldn't have been fun (and it gets pointed at everything - cat's fur is really efficient :cool:)...

A few more pictures, also, i'm very happy with this 206$ camera. If you are in need for a thermal camera then also consider this one, although it took a while to arrive.

Attachments

• IMG40.jpg
    IMG40.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG42.jpg
    IMG42.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG44.jpg
    IMG44.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG46.jpg
    IMG46.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.