• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier card

Hey everyone, apologies for disappearing off the face of the earth.

Got a couple other side projects going on that are taking up my time, I haven't had a chance to get another GB together. And right now, the 10uH "classic Wiener" inductor is out of stock at Mouser, back in stock next month.

Once I get one big project off my plate, I'll start this up, it'll be another month at least though.

So I blew up my amp :(

It was running fine for a few months at 26dB off of 1 12v SLA battery.

I upped the gain setting from 26 to 32dB and a few days later it stopped working. I smelled something weird so took apart the hammond case to find the TPA3118 chip somewhat scorched. I think it overheated?

Would there happen to be another group buy? :(

Photos - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Hi
I have a little problem with my Wiener stereo card ver. 1.1
With audio input on but no music I can hear a slight pulse in my speakers. With loud music I can not hear it and if I remove the audio source the pulse is gone.

I recently replaced the chip after I put by mistake some 24vdc on the negative input.
I've replaced it with TPA2118D2Q1. Also I've de-soldered and soldered again some capacitors for this operation. The pulse is related with this operation I think.
What to do to get rid of that pulse? It is not loud but is annoying.
Thank you!

So I blew up my amp :(

It was running fine for a few months at 26dB off of 1 12v SLA battery.

I upped the gain setting from 26 to 32dB and a few days later it stopped working. I smelled something weird so took apart the hammond case to find the TPA3118 chip somewhat scorched. I think it overheated?

Would there happen to be another group buy? :(

Photos - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

WTF? Seems like something went arcing. I see molten metal and pins.

Yeah good idea, I'll try doing that once I get home. The whole thing was in the hammond enclosure all closed up, nothing loose bouncing around in there as far as I could tell.

Is it possible this was due to overheating? I even had the little thermal pad between the PCB and the case side :(

@jorem,

could you clean up the board area with alcohol? Maybe things will get more clear then.