• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier card

Shipping out today: joel wesseling, jagster5, and reo (I need your address!)

Boxes are in. Went by the fastener shop this morning, I've now got the machine screws for the mounting kits which they ordered in for me... except they decided "hey, we've got two boxes of #4 nuts in stock according to the computer, we don't need to order any..." sigh. They'll have some tomorrow for me.

Next time I design anything I'm putting in huge mounting holes for #6 hardware, at least you can buy that stuff anywhere. Or I'll just order the damn fasteners from digikey/mouser/wherever, as apparently you can't trust a shop that specializes in one thing to do that one thing...

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Received my boards + parts in Calif. Looks really great and many thanks!!

It might have actually arrived a couple days ago and hid behind some junk mail.

BK

That's hilarious! Yours made it through customs and all the way across the continent before mine made it a shorter distance within Canada. And I paid extra for "express" shipping.

What a joke. (and Canada Post wonders why they are hemorrhaging money)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
A bigger joke...

The good news: The board arrived in my neighbourhood today, to my surprise.

The bad news: My neighbour, who lives across the the street and two doors down, found the packet on her driveway.

Yay, once again, for Canada Post.

However (!), the board is currently installed in a chassis with an Omron 24v SMPS (very similar to the Meanwell SMPS, but I gather that Omron is a more respected brand). This is a temporary arrangement for testing and initial evaluation.

My first impression is that it sounds incredibly smooth and laid back, but with loads of subtle fine detail.

With the volume of my preamp at zero, there definitely is noise if I get my ear within 12" or so of the driver. I suspect it'll be even quieter in a proper chassis with the linear regulated supply I am building for it.

I still have a lot of music to go through before I can say much else about the sound.

Thanks Gary!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Regarding thermal management, I have done nothing. The board is inside the chassis (biscuit tin) with the power supply. There are a few dozen 1/8th" holes drilled in the lid.

If I remove the lid and quickly take a temperature reading of the chip with my infrared thermometer, I get a reading of about 42C. That's after about an hour of fairly loud listening, with an ambient room temperature of 21C.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Please remember, this is a temporary arrangement. :)

This "chassis" was re-purposed. It used to have a Sure STA508 amp board in it, which has a fan (hence the square pattern of holes in the lid).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member