• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Group buy

I am experiencing great enjoyment powering each clock frequency from its own shunt power supply. I question and am curious to hear reports about using multiple ultra capacitors in series and in stand alone mode. I expect that a battery would be a better solution. Adding an ultra cap would stiffen an existing supply to great effect with a variable load or when using square waves but needing to place several in series would increase the impedance and need some form of current monitoring to ensure proper sharing and the ground issues alluded to by Ian, not to mention not really helping a constant load sine wave generator. Perhaps the best solution would be five batteries in series and five more in parallel. You could always have the oscillator powered free from AC and rectification noise changing out five at a time for charging out of circuit. Noise on the power would seem a larger detriment than the overall impedance of the power to the clock circuit.

For clocks I would (and will, when I build them) look into adding some choke filtering before the regs, effect of added resistance in supply will be fairly benign with constant current from clock.
I think with a shunt reg you can add passive filtering and power any load without problem (only constant voltage drop from added resistance) as the shunt reg by design draws constant current from the supply.
This would be a simple enough addition to your existing supply, but if you are after the ultimate then batteries could be worth exploring.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Italy,
I will do the same. Already bought the clocks but waiting for new stock to arrive.
I will use a Lundahl LL2771 ( which i bought with adjusted airgap) With the both windings in parallel it will give me 3,5 Henry, 400 mA and 2,8 ohm dcr.
I will use the Eaton 61,7 F 18 volt cap.
Doede ( the DDDAC man) will make a '' set up ''
One CC supply that will charge the BIG cap. A circuit that will monitor everything . Depending on the current rating of the charger the charger will be switched off when voltage will be 16,8 ?volt and then the choke input supply followed probably by a regulator that will supply 16,5 volt and will be able to supply 300 mA PLUS some headroom. Something like this
TPS7A4700-LM31X Ultra Low Noise LDO Voltage Regulator
Some people tell us to use the lifepo4 BUT then we also have to use supercaps to lower the noise. This supercap is around 116 Euro at Mouser. The choke is a little more than 5 kilo so if you cannot buy it in your own country but buy it for instance in Estonia it will 36 transport cost. Unless you buy more than you will get free transport. I have two in stock, Will buy two more, my friend will also buy one so now have to see if i can use another one somewhere because for 3 chokes shipping will be 55 euro.
We need to spend an extra 70 euro tax fee to get no shipping cost.
Greetings, eduard

Hello Supersurfer,
I recently bought 2 UcConditioners each 5 volts to put them in series to create a nice supply for a Etherregen.
But the almighty Ian told if this can only be done if each board will have its own completely isolated regulator.
MAYBE the Allo Shanti has a circuit that will allow doing this but better assume that under normal circumstances it cannot be done. OR maybe it will work for a while.
By the way did you replace any of the two regulators on the DDDAC mainboard by a supply coming from the a lifepo4 board?
Greetings, eduard

I use 2 ucconditioners with linearpi to output 10v for my etherregen. Works perfectly!
The two linearpi’s need to be powered with separate transformer windings. You can put the output in series for 10v.

I tried the dddac with battery supply but it is pulling to much current (4 deck with all shunts) so this is not very practical.

For the clocks I now use only a battery supply without ultracapacitors (not very practical with 16v rail). The clocks still sound awesome and I think the power regulating on Andrea’s boards are sufficient for filtering the bit of chemical noise of the batteries.

Attachments

• 567A33FB-A679-4B77-B92D-69B02BC0B06D.jpeg
    567A33FB-A679-4B77-B92D-69B02BC0B06D.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 603
The crystals have just been delivered, I will be shipping all remaining orders next week.

I apologize for the delay.

These are very good news, Andrea, I already got my shipping number yesterday!

Hats off to your great efforts, building these extraordinary, outstanding clocks and your patience with all the different opinions, currents (not the electrically, but sometimes just as electrifiyng ones :)) and tendencies, even the off-topic ones in your very interesting clock threads.

Thanks a lot and keep going on with this (or whatever you wish to do)...

P.S. Can`t wait putting things together

Last edited:
GB finalized

All the orders have been shipped, I apologize again for the delay.
I hope it did worth waiting long time.

Note on the TWTMC-DRIXO 5/6 MHz semi-finished boards
5.6448 MHz and 6.144 MHz crystals have very high Q (more than 2M) and high ESR.
We have seen with some crystals that the oscillator needs long time to start and sometimes it doesn't even start.
In this case you can replace R24 (1K) with 1.2K, 1.5K or 1.8K resistor so it will start faster.
The increased value of R24 does not affect the phase noise performance.

Thank you all.

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Definitely worthwhile waiting. Nice timing for fathersday. Thank you for your contribution to the diy community of music lovers.
Today I connected the Drixo 22.5 to the fifopi q2.Much more lifelike and involving.
Next days I will try the drixo 5,6 Mhz combined with fifopi Q3, looking forward to it.

Paul

Note on the TWTMC-DRIXO 5/6 MHz semi-finished boards
5.6448 MHz and 6.144 MHz crystals have very high Q (more than 2M) and high ESR.
We have seen with some crystals that the oscillator needs long time to start and sometimes it doesn't even start.
In this case you can replace R24 (1K) with 1.2K, 1.5K or 1.8K resistor so it will start faster.
The increased value of R24 does not affect the phase noise performance.
The right tip at the right time. Now it's working. Thank you Andrea for your great work!