The Tale of Two Tangbands

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is a picture of the Tangband i won & the escapee from a large OEM deal (W3-786se serial#s 1 & 2) that i bought (luckly before about 4 other interested parties). These will be the centrepiece of a couple speaker projects to see what can be rung out of them.

two-tagbands-tn.jpg

The 1st one, i believe, is essentially the unpainted version of the 3" used in the Elf's (see the Pacific North West DIY thread), and the 2nd is the same concept pushed to the max -- skeletal cast frame, neo magnet w heatsinks, spider vented both sides, trick cone material, aluminum phase plug.

Suggestions & ideas are solicited -- i have some ideas in my head, and have mentioned them on a couple other threads, but i won't predudice any ideas by mentioning them yet. I'd like to keep parts to what i have lying around (which shouldn't be too much of a hardship).

dave

What is the size of the one with the aluminum frame? I have 4 pcs. of the only Nd-magnet 3" thing available from Partsexpress. It has a round frame and no phase plug, Kapton VC former and vented spider. The membrane is PPM (whatever that is), slightly opaque and definitely brownish. Looks like chitine (the stuff insects are made from), but I don't quite believe it.

Put into an old wine carton with no XO at all, sound is amazing. Measurements to follow.

What worries me a little is that the theoretical X_lin is only 0.5 mm (actually, it is an underhung design). I'd say from looking at it from various rotations that the flatness of the spider is no better than that. How do they adjust them mechanically so that the VC ends are exactly 0.5 mm away from each end of the gap?

Eric

Actually, the German magazine HobbyHifi had a mini-TL project called Picolino which used the Vifa 10 BGS 119 back in issue 4/01. According to letters to the editor, it was quite stunning. I have pretty poor copies of the article. Maybe somebody else can post scans of the most relevant pics?

Eric

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
capslock said:
What is the model name of the 90 mm Al frame device? Is it available through either of the two US distributors?

W3-786SE. According to Al, these were deigned by the OEM & TB, and the OEM secured exclusive access to them with a very large order. The only source may be cannabilizing their product when it ships (i don't see anything on their site -- i have been restricted from saying who the OEM is (in public)).

dave

1. what are the spes. how is the dispersion?
2. might be a fix for Lynn's requirement if used in multiples :)
3. how many do you have? if TB ever gets out in public the white ones) i'd consider them for HT/AV systems

if you have 8 or so you can set them up as dipole with a push push sub below that. actaully if you have 6 you can still manage a dipole. 2 in front.

if you have access to a whole bunch i am thinking line source TL.

many years ago some one in speaker builder or voice coil (this was 1985 or 86) built a 4 in line TL. I am not sure if it was folded but rule says you cant do that.

if you have enough to do a 4 in line TL and if you can open the TL to the rear you can actually have TL and dipole in one swoop :)

BTW i finally got fiberglass bonded resin to work. ran out of resin so have to wait till monday for more. will send pics when fiberglass and open cell foam is in place. also completed 7294 based sub amp. 600VA tranny, 10A diaode bridge, 4 x 10000uf caps.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
capslock said:
How about tower speakers for a doll-house?

Maybe for a doll's house :D

I am zeroing in on something for the readily available W3-879. I'm thinking of TL loading the Tangband using Rick Shultz's alphaTL methodology (can't tell you much about that until after it gets published in aXp -- but it is cool), XOing, at the bafflestep) to a pair of Adire AV3s i have kicking about -- they will be in a vented enclosure. With the box i'm planning -- this will be a box that should fit in the nonrectangular box thread -- i hope to get the XO in the 225-300 Hz range, and i'll try series XO 1st.

You may ask why XO a single 3 to twin 3s. The AV3s have 6x the xMax of the TB so the pr should move 12x the air.

The more exotic driver i am still throwing a lot of ideas around.

dave

capslock said:
Actually, the German magazine HobbyHifi had a mini-TL project called Picolino which used the Vifa 10 BGS 119 back in issue 4/01. According to letters to the editor, it was quite stunning. I have pretty poor copies of the article. Maybe somebody else can post scans of the most relevant pics?

Eric

Is this the one?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

url:
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/bau_hh.htm#picolino

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Different Applications...

mrfeedback said:
somebody recently mentioned (in another thread ?) the Bose Lifestyle Clock-radio.
A good application to explore maybe, would be a decently pleasant sounding alarm clock-radio to get you (all of us) up in a happy mood each morning.
An IR remote with volume up/down and sleep buttons would be cool too IMO.

Already have a real nice Nakamici alarm clock... it gets used once in a blue moon...

driver 1 will be going into a TL.

dave

TB's

I have the W4-656S and 28-847SA tweeter with a first order series crossover at 6500Hz and they sound great. My first with TB and my first with series crossover.
I orderd parts for a 1st order parallel XO but switched one to series and let my girlfreind listen to them... she picked the series over the paralle. Ive impressed a few of my pals with this little 4".

".. just those little speakers are playing?"

The 656's are for my girlfreinds HT system, I plan on building a few monitors with either the 3" 871 or its 4" counterpart (higher Xmax)

I just got a few W3-881S from Partsexpress, cast frame, Nd-magnet, PPM cone (what is PPM), Kapton VC former, vented spider. Small underhang o f+/- 0.5 mm worries me (how do they center the VC in the gap that precisely?).

Sounded great in a wine carton (except that the paint came off when I undid the masking tape I had used to temporarily mount them in the carton).

Going to make sealed satellites with no separate tweeters and a single 17 cm Eton sealed woofer.

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.