The Signal Transfer Company

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Interesting that you're getting content. I'm using this address and get nothing but a white background "Index of /" page with no other content.

Index of /

Attachments

• SignalTransfer.PNG
    SignalTransfer.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 318
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Update from Douglas Self

I contacted Douglas Self about this. This was his response:

For many reasons, including a major impact from the COVID-19 virus, it has been decided that Signal Transfer will in future only be selling bare PCBs. The site is down while it is redesigned to reflect this. It is hoped that this will be completed in the next 7 days

I am aware that the mail-order service from Signal Transfer has been unsatisfactory for some time. There are many reasons for this, but clearly the COVID-19 virus has had a major impact. It has therefore been decided that Signal Transfer will in future only be selling bare PCBs. The site is currently down while it is redesigned to reflect this. It is hoped that this will be completed in the next few days, but it is a long job; I will notify you in this forum when it is up and running and checked.

If some of you feel I have shown a lack of engagement, you must understand I had and have nothing at all to do with the day-to-day operation of Signal Transfer- that is entirely in the hands of Gareth Connor. I too have recently found him difficult to contact, which is very painful to me as we have been close friends and collaborators for over 30 years. Travel to see him in person to investigate things has of course been illegal and impossible for a long time now.

Whenever someone has informed me directly that they are being ignored, I have (to the best of my knowledge) always been able to get things sorted fairly quickly. If there are any outstanding orders then please email me; my address is on the front page of my website.

I very much hope the change to PCBs-only will allow business to proceed normally.

Douglas

The fact that this up date comes from Doug Self and not Gareth Conner seems pretty telling in itself. PCB only will be fine for me but a big pity to see an outlet for the full kits that are a practical implementation of the excellent electronic engineering work of Mr Self reduced to this. Even in this ever more digital world we live in I would like to think there is still a market for well engineered and implemented HiFi analogue kits - but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm also relieved to see that officially-sanctioned PCBs will continue to be available especially given that artwork is rarely (never?) provided in Douglas's books. My admittedly modest understanding is that incompetent layout can cause problems that would ruin the extremely good objective performance which is the raison d'etre of these designs.

I know I've been deterred from buying from STC by the experiences recounted in this thread, so encouraged to see this.

SIGNAL TRANSFER WEBSITE IS NOW BACK UP.

In view of current difficulties the company is now only supplying PCBs. These still come with full construction notes. I hope this will make things run more smoothly.

The web address of the site is the same, but please note the postal address of The Signal Transfer Company has changed, and so has my personal email address.

Douglas Self

I'm interested in purchasing the boards for both the balanced and unbalanced output phono preamp. Is it simply a matter of emailing the Signal Transfer Company (I've done this) with the request and then waiting for further directions?

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Unbelievable - This problem is so persistent that it has to be more than an internet service problem. Perhaps personal, medical or time constraints make it difficult to reply but any prompt reply to reasonable requests is essential to a business that trades on service and trust - meaning just about any business worth dealing with .