The "Real" Aerogel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
inertial said:

Why not one serious designer/factory have employed it?

The liniked page says it shatters and absorbs moisture - that'll be a challenge.. Maybe they could sandwich or seal it with really thin aluminium or something to make it moisture proof?

Maybe they could try vapour plating it with iridium - it would look really cool too then :D

inertial said:

Quickshift,

Foam surround also shatters.........performance have a price. ;)

Yeah, true. The shattering problem they could maybe get round by tellling people to be really careful not to touch the cones and fitting some sort of rigid grill.

It's the moisture absorbsion that's a problem, I wouldn't really want the mass of my driver cones changing with the weather :D

Quickshift,
You are right, but I think ESL also "attract" moisture, and the world is full of ESL. :)
Joke apart, I think a serious experimentations could be foundamental to "solve" this problem. Really this aerogel seems to me very promising. We hope!
Cheers,
Inertial

There are a few types of Aerogel listed on Matweb, but I think the lowest density one is Silica Aerogel:

http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=C5MTO1

Unfortunately it's stiffness is very low: < 0.01 GPa

worse than most rubbers...

So maybe it could be a good material for the surrounds, but not the cones.

It WOULD be interesting to make a sandwhich composite of:

carbon-nano-tube sheet : Aerogel: carbon-nano-tube sheet

There is a company that has found a way to make paper-thin sheets of the CNT material pretty cheaply. That would probably be quite the intresting cone material.

If anyone can find the best analytical expression for the IDEAL stiffness to density ratio, I have access to another huge database of materials and alloys that will have the highest ratios.

chillysalsa said:

If anyone can find the best analytical expression for the IDEAL stiffness to density ratio, I have access to another huge database of materials and alloys that will have the highest ratios.

For ideal piston action, the higer the stiffness to density ratio the better. Mosture attraction is part of density variation, but could probably be solved using very light coating.

Hi,
why think of "cone".
The b139 and a few others used a block of expanded polystyrene as the air mover. It too was sealed with an alloy membrain.

Maybe a silicon aerogel block could be used likewise.

If our new gel was half the weight and twice the stiffness of polystyrene then it would give a significant advance in most performance parameters.

Just popping in with a cool fact about aerogels:

"Aerogels by themselves are hydrophilic, but chemical treatment can make them hydrophobic. If moisture is adsorbed, they will usually cause a structural change of contraction etc. and deteriorate; however, degradation can be prevented by turning them hydrophobic. The aerogel which has hydrophobicity to the interior can prevent degradation, even if a crack reaches deeper than its surface, compared with the aerogel that was turned hydrophobic only of their surface. Hydrophobic treatment makes processing easy because it allows the use of a water jet cutter."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

So the only thing standing in the way of a good aerogel-based DIY driver is cost (who da thunk it?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.