The Photography and Camera Thread

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My 50mm F/1.1 just arrived! I have to say I am very impressed with the Kamlan lens build quality. Heavy aluminum housing with no slop and nice smooth rotation on focus and aperture ring. Nice clear clean lettering of numbers. Comes with a bayonet lens shade which allows standard 52mm filter to be used with the shade. Nicely packaged and boxed in foam with cleaning cloth and quick release lens cap and rear lens cover for storage.

The pictures at wide open F/1.1 are suitably sharp, and depth of field is extremely narrow, as expected. Bokeh of back point light sources is nice smooth circle. No wierd rings, swirls, or onion skin (some people like that I suppose). Color rendition is pretty good. I won’t know more until I shoot outdoors on a bright day. It’s grey overcast and raining at the moment so indoor test shots here will have to suffice.

First shot of the 20mm lens that was removed. The lined paper shows effect of DOF.
P1070241-good.jpeg

Second shot of orchid (focus is in middle of frame on flower petals):
P1070246-good.jpeg

Shots were handheld at ISO 800 and about 1/300 sec shutter speed. Might be sharper with tripod. Focusing requires use of enlarged digital focus patch and is slow and deliberate. Not for action scenes or subjects that don’t sit still at large apertures!

The lens is well proportioned and feels nice on the camera:
1709155186518.jpeg

With the lens shade:
1709155207751.jpeg

I have tested several shots on people and like the focal length for portraits. It isolates and focuses the subject and is a flattering perspective. The 100mm FL in FF is indeed an ideal portrait lens.

Overall, I am very happy and recommend this lens from what I have seen thus far.

Reactions: 1 users
I am about to embark on the cannibalization of a Kodak Carousel projector for the purpose of digitizing slides. My Rollei P66 for the 6x6 and 6x45's will not require the same surgery.

Around Christmas I had my 3 sons around with the grand-kids and we ran 3 carousels of a vacation to france almost 30 years ago when they were in their teens. They all wanted digital copies.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I removed the stealth black tape covering the camera markings. My GX1 still looks to be in great shape. If I was on travel and could only take one lens and it had to be compact and light. I would choose the Lunix 14mm F/2.5 aspheric.

IMG_1549.jpeg

Without the shade you can see how small the lens is. The camera literally is pocketable.
1709699832372.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I’m very happy with the 50mm F/1.1 lens. Like you said, it’s suitably sharp for where it is focused and gives a great soft out of focus background blur. Really isolates the subject. To think, you can get a decent F/1.1 lens equivalent of a 100mm FF for $67 is just insane and unheard of 15 years ago.

I have a 7-14mm F/4 Lumix ultra wide rectilinear zoom lens and it’s a neat lens for interiors and architecture or bold landscapes. The 14mm equivalent wide is mind blowing. I need to use it more often.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A beautiful day in DC yesterday and a shot of Pennsylvania Ave with the Capitol taken from the top of the clock tower of the old Post Office building (now Waldorf Astoria). It is such a clear crisp day, the image almost looks synthetic. (iPhone 12 Promax wide angle (25mm equivalent) at f/1.6)
1710596482067.jpeg

Here is view of Federal Triangle and the Washington Monument from the other side of the tower:
1710596826739.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I like the perspective and the straight lines composition.
There seems to be some vignetting (?) at the left edge, though?
There are vertical steel cables spaced at 2cm along the entire “window” to keep out birds I think. I had to stretch them apart and perhaps my finger or the cable was blocking the lens.

@OmeEd - same wide angle lens. I wanted to capture the full extent of Pennsylvania Ave from the Tower to the U.S. Capitol.