The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Joined 2006
Paid Member
:p

Attachments

• dodo bird t-shirt.jpg
    dodo bird t-shirt.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 90
Who is going to calibrate the calibrator?
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p10ILZQGLVp1pkCXxvU4Ql6LTkh7xkTzFnekucG4etRCjzo1ahOtQ58-wn0ZucE_4h947b6xf3YV9AufaR3Hy1A/Img0101.jpg?psid=1
That reminds me of a great science fiction novel.
The Custodians by Richard Cowper (aka John Middleton Murry, Jr.).
You read this, Aleksandar?
This was it's Hungarian title:
Ki őrzi az örzőket?
(Who keeps the Keepers? or similar in return to english.)
Alternatively, in Latin:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Attachments

• Img01010001.JPG
    Img01010001.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 106
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Who is going to calibrate the calibrator?

I worked as a tech in a precision calibration lab - very interesting stuff.
The work is a lot like audio gear - the more you upgrade to the next level the stiffer the price.

You start breaking out lab standards to calibrate things and realize that you can only get so far - although accuracy out to 7 places is usually close enough... :D:D:D

What's that absolute reference, we say it for example at a sound pressure level?
And what about the measuring microphone which is registering it?
I've read, for example, a healthy human ear, in complete silence, three meters away to hear the mosquitoes buzzing.
(I have not heard this already, unfortunately.)
But I ask what is the mosquito and ears of this definition exactly?
Perhaps the word order is not correct. As always.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I've read, for example, a healthy human ear, in complete silence, three meters away to hear the mosquitoes buzzing.

Well - you would need a "laboratory grade - standard sized mosquito" (expensive due to short life span) a "laboratory grade - standard ear" (I have never found a specification for one of these) and three meters (ya didn't say what kink - but I'll go with db meters). Is this testing performed in a soundproof chamber? How sound proof is sound proof?:scratch:

If those mosquitoes are flying around me - be prepared to hear a loud slapping sound from me when I feel one land..... :D:D:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
moi fell in love , again ..........

nothing better than enjoying with old friends again .......

they're extended -almost full - range ; let's just say that they have substantially greater scale of verity than any Tannoy I ever heard , sans horn part .

while I'm at it - not just Tannoy ..... :devilr:

they're just simply not making them like that , anymore .......... probably there is no market , I reckon ........ but it's certainly harder and harder to find ppl interested to invest time in researching that part of black art ...

recently I almost sold them .... and now they're firmly back on my shelf , soon to be used for playin'

and I'm gladddddd :clown:

Lorenz LP312 - Zvucnici - diyaudio.rs

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: