94.2 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: 3 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
is this a Ortofonsky-tonearm?
Anyway, good on you!
And finally a Zenphonoic looming?

nope, that's original Technics arm, EPA-110, full shebang sold as Technics SL-1100

sans arm, deck is sold as Technics SL-110

engine ( motor) pretty much same as in SP-10 and, frankly - I'm finding entire package much more ZM-friendly than SP-10 itself

damping of ( more substantial Al chassis) is much easier and - all in all - less work than any of SP-10 would dictate

in the end, idea was to take something not needing work, but I can't go against my own nature, nothing can stay untouched; damn

http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SL-1100.html

Reactions: 1 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
let's just hope I'll be sane enough to take enough pictures while working on it

it's already in tiny pieces :rofl: ....... even if intended to be quicky hit and run, can't go against nature

now, after some reading of Mighty SP-10 thread, I'm really happy camper - quality and sturdiness of motor itself is pretty much the same with SP-10 (probably also higher grades, except last gargantuan), dimple on plastic pad on shaft is less than 1mm Dia, meaning that deck had minimal work history, no wear on shaft, no play between shaft and bushing
ball is fine, will be rotated for 180deg just for fun; btw. after some heating with hot air-station, unscrewing lower cap was a breeze

of course that mains xformer will go out, in separate case

electronics - will redo voltage reg with LM337, new electrolits, new uni diodes and new zener, all metal film resistors, and will leave rest of semis intact

will see what to do with venerable trimpots, also will try to put 10-turn 1K pot for 33 instead puny existing one

anyhow, when done, count on dedicated thread; I'll at least show in details what's done, if not entire process

edit: after some short thinking, decided to not go wild with platter (weight); maybe 5mm copper mat, but no more than that; for wild, I already have wild enough EMT930

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
let's just hope I'll be sane enough to take enough pictures while working on it

it's already in tiny pieces :rofl: ....... even if intended to be quicky hit and run, can't go against nature

now, after some reading of Mighty SP-10 thread, I'm really happy camper - quality and sturdiness of motor itself is pretty much the same with SP-10 (probably also higher grades, except last gargantuan), dimple on plastic pad on shaft is less than 1mm Dia, meaning that deck had minimal work history, no wear on shaft, no play between shaft and bushing
ball is fine, will be rotated for 180deg just for fun; btw. after some heating with hot air-station, unscrewing lower cap was a breeze

of course that mains xformer will go out, in separate case

electronics - will redo voltage reg with LM337, new electrolits, new uni diodes and new zener, all metal film resistors, and will leave rest of semis intact

will see what to do with venerable trimpots, also will try to put 10-turn 1K pot for 33 instead puny existing one

anyhow, when done, count on dedicated thread; I'll at least show in details what's done, if not entire process

edit: after some short thinking, decided to not go wild with platter (weight); maybe 5mm copper mat, but no more than that; for wild, I already have wild enough EMT930
It is always more fun to DIY and tweak it.

But i cheated this time and got a new one. The entry level Technics SL-100C. 🎷🙂🎻
D801A4E9-0366-42A4-B947-52CC0BB6C1A9.jpeg
F3722AF8-E89A-4A5A-8E1B-55E4CF381BE5.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users