The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

I was just told by one of our own and a long time member, that Jacco did in fact pass away about the time we noticed his absence a couple years back. This person went to his old address to be told the news from the new owner.
We knew that he had suffered a severe head trauma and now our worst fears have been realized.

Rest in peace Jacco Vermeulen. :RIP: Your spirit here will continue to be missed.
Just saw this and I'm saddened of his passing. We communicated for quite a bit years ago but never got to meet. He was a free spirit mostly on an adventure somewhere in the Caribbean or South America. Rest easy Jacco!

It is an important realise, you are not so smart, as you believe it.
Of course, you must to be smart enough to realise it.
I think, I was smartest at 17.
But, at that time, I thought I'm better than most of the people.
It was a mistake.
I was never ever better than anyone else.
Now, I only hope, I was never ever a really bad man.
Most probably, I'm not better or worst as other ones, only a different kind.

Where is Soundhappy?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
During one of these interviews NP suggests that "old opamps" have significantly fewer bits and bobs inside (because state of the art semiconductor technology in the 1970s couldn't manufacture >30 transistor analog chips at acceptable yield). As a result, those opamps have vastly simpler signal paths, and they sound better. Surprisingly.

What a coincidence; yesterday I shipped out a sleeve of 1974-designed opamps (LF356) to be auditioned in the Pequod front end of a VFET / Theseus power amp. The LF356 was a standout performer in a previous double blind shootout, it'll be fun to see how the non-blind listening tests rate them in this go around.

It's worth noting that Pequod, and indeed nine other VFET / Theseus front ends (out of thirteen total), includes an Edcor transformer in its signal path. Maybe when listening to a front end having opamp + transformer, the sonic results are 80% due to the transformer and only 20% due to the opamp. Still, if you unplug opamp A and plug in opamp B, while leaving everything else alone, and the sound gets better with B than with A, that's a win for B.

Link to VFET (power amplifier)

Link to Ship of Theseus (power amplifier)

Link to Pequod (front end)

Link to LF356 (integrated circuit)

Hello out there,

on this not so lazy Sunday, Dirk is putting his batteries (12V) into a modushop case.
Why?
Because they were standing on the ground for many months without a 'dress'! Hmmm? :rolleyes:
Bridged to 24V DC they feed many 'toys', which need a single ended 24V PSU...

Hey, and where is Soundhappy, C2Cthomas, Cal Weldon and some others?
I hope you are all o.k.?
Cheers
Dirk :)

Attachments

• 24V_BAT_PSU_top.jpg
    24V_BAT_PSU_top.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 24V_BAT_PSU_front_base.jpg
    24V_BAT_PSU_front_base.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 24V_BAT_PSU_modushop_case.jpg
    24V_BAT_PSU_modushop_case.jpg