The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Guys, try a class A listen to Kari Bremnes. A fantastic artist, and very good productions with little use of compression. The song «Lysbroen» should get your depth and width and space out if the system is up for it. And the bass is oftentimes amazing. Albums pre 2010 are recommended, and those from the 90’s are the best IMO. Some songs have vocals almost peaking, so those with inferior DAC’s or midrange peaky systems beware. No prob on my gear though, but I have the BBC dip so…

Cheers!

Andy

Last edited:
Need to put that one to my ears. Failed to listen through that album as most of them are in Norwegian. There are some cool artists over here who once upon a time favoured production quality over quantity. Mari Boine is another one of those. She joiks/sings in Sami, so impossible to understand. But music with feelings that easily pass the boundaries of language. I believe «The wolfs howl» or something is a good listening experience.

Glad to see you found something you liked! I’ll give your good tips a listen too. Thanks!

Andy

Btw, what speakers of yours are those singing like angels?
George Frideric Handel | Rodelinda: "Dove Sei, Amato Bene?" on Vimeo

Twin 12" 30 cm diameter "full range" drivers,
one with ferrite magnet second is alnico version
in the same one sealed enclosure, no crossovers.
Two loudspeakers like that..but was much longer and complex story to make them sing
with the others audio chain elements and synergies..now is my keepers :cheerful: Greetings

Kylie Minogue - Slow (Okarola Mix) on Vimeo

George Frideric Handel | Rodelinda: "Dove Sei, Amato Bene?" on Vimeo

Twin 12" 30 cm diameter "full range" drivers,
one with ferrite magnet second is alnico version
in the same one sealed enclosure, no crossovers.
Two loudspeakers like that..but was much longer and complex story to make them sing
with the others audio chain elements and synergies..now is my keepers :cheerful: Greetings

Kylie Minogue - Slow (Okarola Mix) on Vimeo

Thanks!

Considering Papa OB’s… your solution does sound a bit more wife friendly…

I agree. And Choky put the idea in my head as early as last year (I am quite a newbie, relatively speaking). Those OB’s fit the bill wrt room size, and WAF-wise I have some credit, so maybe worth a shot. Maybe need a B5 too, and an extra amp. But can’t complain about extra gear, and the possibility to learn even more. Gonna search the forum for tips wrt drivers, I know basically nothing about that. But SEAS is based in my area, so perhaps something from them :) Maybe I’ll give them a ring.

Last edited: