The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Staffan, you should know better.

Both can give you comfort and a place of well being
Both can cause misery and shorten your life
Only one can nag but that is often done because of love
Only one is something you have to quit before it quits you

I think Brian is headed down the right path. Now, if we could only get him to take up tennis, both he and the Mrs. will live in Blissful Town for many years to come. Unlike golf, I never heard anyone say, what a waste of a perfectly good walk. Besides, who doesn't like the the idea of a sport that has paddles and balls? Not to mention, the ability to make a racquet?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
When you mention 10is I came to think of an austrian born swede named Harry. He was married to a moviestar, played tennis with the prime minister on regular basis and had a double scotch every day at 16.45 to the radio news. My kind of dandy. However I cant really see myself in those white shorts and nowadays I neither take a pims, nor do I smoke them sticks or think dirty thoughts. Hell I should get a haircut and feature religious promiscuity with my glittery eyes to go. Get well Brian, the tweed needs you!

Like it:
AmericanEclipseHDR_Lefaudeux_3474.jpg

To those who are not afraid of a little heat: is there an audio amp which could be biased with MOSFET's on a 84 Celsius heatsink, and wouldn't be too particular if it climbed to 86 degrees over a few hours? Give or take +/- 2 degrees? The heatsink would be copper and be filled with a liquid at a low boil.
It is not a summertime project.
Another heat source would be used to bring the liquid to 84C then turn the amp on to maintain heat. As the liquid evaporated it would climb a couple of degrees.
It's an idea I've had for about 15 years but never started to write it down until working on a slate audio rack this afternoon.
attachment.php

It's a novelty, but if I won the lottery I would consider a small scale commercial version.

Attachments

• slateandcopper.jpg
    slateandcopper.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 209
The idea was one could put in 3 liters of rectified wine or other alcohol around 50% abv, use the heat from an amplifier to run it through during the day while listening to music.
Not in the evening, because people drink in the evening. Doing what I described while drinking isn't safe.

Not doing a complete distillation on the 3 liters, but maybe collecting enough for a couple of 750ml bottles. Put it on charred aged oak cubes or pieces of old barrel staves for a few weeks, remove the oak and age them for a year in a jug with lots of oxygen in the headspace.
Then bottle and label with the soundtrack :)

Like I said, a novelty. The slate remnants put together with copper, a big transformer and few wires stacked neatly in between amplifiers which were actually used on a daily basis might actually look very cool.

One alternative is to put a vacuum on a small glass distillation rig next to a heatsink.

The idea was sparked again from the De-Lite amplifier. But instead of using a light bulb, an electric heating element in stainless, like those used in electric hot water heaters. No idea how big of a transformer that would need.
Designed so the heat fluctuates based on the music? The product would vary a lot. As in, "what the hell did I drink last night? I can taste my liver" then look at the label and see you just had a hefty pour of Master of Puppets.

Last edited: