The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
voltage between two wires is what counts , as long both wires are isolated from chassis .....and they are

so , amp is happy whatever you are calling these two wires (two phases, two neutrals , two grounds , two giraffes, two Jaccos) , as long it see 220Vac ......

also- if that wall socket is made for hairdryer ....... it is also practically blind , so you don't need to write with big green marker - HAIRDRYER title on amp faceplate

:)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
ZMs inventions, now in diyAudio Store. Pompompom

Attachments

• phone.jpg
    phone.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 146
The fact that in Europe that they use "mono-phase" and we use "split-phase" wouldn't matter?

Split-phase is very handy.

Mains on Curaçao is single phase 110V and 220V. More recent built homes and hotels have sockets for both levels of mains.
A lot of the older houses only have 110V mains and step-up transformers hidden in various places to be able to use 220Vac appliances.
Our relative on Curaçao lives in a home she and her husband had built over 40 years ago, each room in the house has at least 1 step-up transformer inside or on top of a closet (even under a bed)
110Vac mains reduces appliance choice range on the island to US manufacture, e.g. 1-2 models of oldfashioned top-loader washing machines.
Such household appliances are likely not manufactured as 220Vac models, lack of a (large) market.

Attachments

• Split Phase.jpg
    Split Phase.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 135
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
in my neck of wood , only oldest houses are having just monophase , usually nulled , without safety ground ......

nulled means that there is short between neutral and safety gnd prong in wall socket

standard is 3-phase + neutral , with safety GND made locally , in most cases loooooong zinc-ed ferrite rod/tube laid in ground

nominally 230Vac per phase , so 400Vac between phases

in praxis , in most places 220Vac/380Vac , as per older standard

and yeah ...... 50Hz , so mu hum is 100Hz :)

why not, when done properly ?

Growing up in a family factory included installing 3-phase wiring and connections.
Touching 380Vac is not pleasant, less offensive folks have gone to the other side for less convincing reasons.

Every road here has a 3-phase main cable burried a few feet deep.
Folks can get 400Vac in a garage/shed, for which the power company installs a separate main fuse box and makes the connection to the wiring in the street.
A certified electrician has to install the wiring from the fuse box to the socket location, dictated by the power company.

Even the cable guys are no guarantee for a proper job. Remember that at exchanging the main cable in the street a couple of years ago they hooked our house up to phase-phase instead of phase-neutral.
(which blew up everything from the espresso machine to the transformers of the electric bed adjusters)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Touching 380Vac is not pleasant, less offensive folks have gone to the other side for less convincing reasons.

I once installed a 3x64A behind a music scene and I wasent finished for the soundcheck so in the hurry I did what we all do sometimes, connected the wires to the pins and forgot the housing (goes on the cable first).

Wtf I plugged it in anyway, the band soundchecked while I did other things. After a while they shouted they were finished so I went there, without thinking/looking grabbed the 3x64 socket... and had a ride:zombie:

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Btw is it new settings on my phone or new settings on DiyA that gets me logged out all the time? Big part of my more seldom visits. New=half a year or so.

Edit. Did some new settings on the iPhone. Found a place to store PWs. Letz see if it worx.

Last edited: