The only ''definitive'' answer in this Subjective world is...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Statistical.

Forget measures, forget individual subjective appreciations, forget magazine articles...

The ONLY definitive answer to the question:

''What is the best sounding system or XYZ component''

...would be obtained by conducting a large survey in a blind test environment.

The more participants, the more reliable results would be. Simple as that.

9,598 persons prefered the sound system A
1,285 persons prefered the sound system B

System A wins.

5,154 persons prefered the sound system A
4,789 persons prefered the sound system B

We have a tie.

Every ears are different, every person has different tastes... So the only way the get reliable answers is with statistics.

Let's make a simulation:

Using the same electronics, room and music samples, a blind comparison test is conducted:

In the right corner: a pair of Sonus Faber Stradivari
On the left corner: a pair of B&W 800 series diamond

OF COURSE, one can argue room, electronic, time spent, etc.. should be this or should be that.. according to these speakers and not those...

Still. Wouldn't the vast majority of people here would be curious to know the results of such survey ?

geezus Jon, I almost broke the internet trying to find that test - could have been a bit more plausible with a smaller claimed sample - but FWIW, based on some brief listening at a local dealer over the past couple of years, I'd probably prefer the Sonus Fabers

that's a sample of 1, so of course it means nothing to anyone but myself, which of course supports zuhl's proclamation

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It needs to be blind behind an acoustic transparent cloth veil, the speakers need to be on a turntable with a remote control. Without it being blind, guess which one wins? The more expensive one every time. Blind, not so clear, oftentimes, the less expensive one is at least not summarily dismissed as "not in the same league".

This may be of relevance here:

Audio Musings by Sean Olive: The Dishonesty of Sighted Listening Tests

BlindVsSightedMeanLoudspeakerRatings.png

BlindVsSightedPositionInteractions.png

Audio Musings by Sean Olive: Behind Harman's Testing Lab

When the listening trials were done, the curtain went up, and Robert and Sam were surprised to discover their favorite choice was the most accurate loudspeaker which was the least expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=56xPMqZmejU

Last edited:
On a more serious note:

The test is not only about having many people, but also having many people listening the very same thing. (controlled environment)

It makes a lot of difference.

I was waiting for this specific comment. It's one thing to have HUGE N, it's another thing to have a HUGE N *and* good controls. (None of the "studies" done here on diyAudio have either, unfortunately, but I still genuinely appreciate the contributions)

I was waiting for this specific comment. It's one thing to have HUGE N, it's another thing to have a HUGE N *and* good controls. (None of the "studies" done here on diyAudio have either, unfortunately, but I still genuinely appreciate the contributions)

xrk971 mentionned the turntable thing but i got something even better:

3 identical rooms, built for that kind of test.

makes things a little easier and faster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.