• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The New Yaqin/Music Angel/Meng & Others Discussion Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interested if anyone owns, or is looking at purchasing any of these Chinese amps. The reviews are mixed, but not at all negative, that I can tell.

My goal as a 'newby tubey' is an entry level tube amp for a 2 channel sound from the pc.

So, the amp should be integrated to work from the HD PC soundcard. My speakers are small TCA WAF-1s. I may however use it in the theater for 2 channel powering larger speakers.

My budget is less than 500.00 and will need for 110 outlet.

One in particular that I am looking at the latest version Yaquin MC-10L. Seems to have favorable reviews including some who have had it for 1-3 years without any issues except for fuses and just rolling tubes. The ebayers have great feedbacks as well.

Anyone that would guide me in this decision would be great!!

Thanks,
Rob

Good luck dude..... Everytime the subject of a "definitive" Chinese invasion tube amp thread comes up, or a main place at DIYA to have the same, it dies and the stuck-in-the-mud old timers refuse to participate either.

All you'll get here is very sporadic questions or short threads on Chinese amps at very long spread out intervals.

Good luck dude..... stuck-in-the-mud old timers refuse to participate either.

You have to understand that we stuck in the mud old timers don't buy that stuff so we have nothing useful to say about it. We design and build our own, you know, diy not "biy" (buy it yourself).

That said, the few Chinese Invasion amps that I've seen were designed pretty poorly and constructed cheaply. There may be some good ones, but diy still rules.

You have to understand that we stuck in the mud old timers don't buy that stuff so we have nothing useful to say about it. We design and build our own, you know, diy not "biy" (buy it yourself).

That said, the few Chinese Invasion amps that I've seen were designed pretty poorly and constructed cheaply. There may be some good ones, but diy still rules.

SY,

I would love to be a DIYer, however, I have no knowledge whatsoever, in fact everything I've read seems a bit precarious.

Having to purchase a meter and other tools would be necessary just to begin and it seemed to me to buy one first and get my feet wet and go from there.

And the latest reviews on these mentioned above have improved and are not too shabby, expecially for an entry level person.

A good used known brand is also an option, but very hard to find, in my price range of course.

For those of you who 'design and build' your own, good for you....what a gift!!! :)

For those of ignorant of DIY, would be happy if we owned a Tube Amp and it just worked and sounded great, isn't that the end result anyway, Pretty would be a plus.

I am learning a lot about tubes, the way they work and how they sound to different ears, quite an audio education.

I have begun my research on the threads that are pertaining to the subject, however, I will keep up with you guys as I may need advice on switching out tubes. Who knows I might need a Tube roller.:D

Best regards,
Rob

There are several threads about these amps. As a general rule they are (as previously stated) poorly constructed with total disregard for modern safety standards.

The threads generally evolve into a discussion on 'How I made this amp a reasonable piece of audiophile equipment'.

If you can't or are not willing to learn how to work on tube amplifiers, I recommend you stay away from them.

There are a few exceptions, search for the threads.

Where are you located?

There are several threads about these amps. As a general rule they are (as previously stated) poorly constructed with total disregard for modern safety standards.

The threads generally evolve into a discussion on 'How I made this amp a reasonable piece of audiophile equipment'.

If you can't or are not willing to learn how to work on tube amplifiers, I recommend you stay away from them.

There are a few exceptions, search for the threads.

Where are you located?

Located in the Richmond, Virginia area.

From the replies, thats exactly the point: D I Y.

A definitive Chinese invasion tube amp forum or sticky data-base thread for most of the most popular (and affordable) amps, to then be able to mod or improve them as theGimp stated. And located here, not at AK.

From the replies, thats exactly the point: D I Y.

A definitive Chinese invasion tube amp forum or sticky data-base thread for most of the most popular (and affordable) amps, to then be able to mod or improve them as theGimp stated. And located here, not at AK.

Chinese amps generally need DIY input and in my experience an excellent introduction to learning about tube amps. I started with a Sweet peach FU50 SE amp, it's now a SEP amp with SRPP driver and a Kuei Yang Wang inspired feedback methodology :)

Working well out of the box is reserved for Ming-da and Yaqin I think - possibly some others. They can all use DIY mods however..

Of course. one can always use that as their base of design, as you have stated. Honestly! I cannot find reriews on these things on google or Yahoo. Oh the Yaqin mc-10l gets lots of reviews but a meng yue gets hardly any. Music Angel gets a very light smattering, most of the reviews are positive. When I look on the ebay Seller's site called tubestein, he often shows the undersides of the meng-vue amps, I see someone was skimpy on the application of solder. I plan to resolder all the joints. The one amp he shows a cover on is a parelle driven 6p1 amp resulting in about 32watts per channel of power. I hate the LEDs under the driver 6n2 tubes though, a snip with some pliers should fix that one ;)

If I could find a tested/used and refurbished working classic amp such as the HH scott 299 stereomaster I would go for it. But... my system is a mixed in with my part 15 AM radio station gear. For that, I need really only an amp. My studio mixer provides the RIAA and magnetic phono preamp. I don't have the space for two seperate stereo racks and matching turntables. I also am on a tight budget, things may be great for China, they are not for people in the U.S on disability. I am going to use my Connecticut renters rebate to buy this gear along with some new dresses.. My amp budget is only $250-300/

The old Sound Design solid state recevier with 8 track recorder has been used as the power amp for about 5 years. it runs great but I miss my old realistic SAF-24 tube amp. I still have the manual and schematic for it, yes, I could build a new set. I just like the OP, want to start with a working setup that I can hack if desired..

Not sure what you mean by "total disregard for modern safety standards" in how they are built. Biggest gripe I see is that most of the amps on ebay don't seem to have a cover. They are fused. they have mains jacks with the earth pin attached to the chassis.

My experience with tubestein.

I bought MA XDSE YC-808MK KT88 From tubestein. It cought fire after 3 hours of using. reason: undervoltage filter capacitor. In the next 3 months I was in touch with tubestein to get at least a schematic for the amplifier. After sending 3 wrong schematics, I finally got it the right one. In the end the repair cost me another $100. Never again I will buy from tubestein beacuse I have bad experience in communication with him. Never again I will buy chinese amplifiers because it realy is a hazard in doing it. I end up building a SET with KT88. Just my $0.02.

I bought MA XDSE YC-808MK KT88 From tubestein. It cought fire after 3 hours of using. reason: undervoltage filter capacitor. In the next 3 months I was in touch with tubestein to get at least a schematic for the amplifier. After sending 3 wrong schematics, I finally got it the right one. In the end the repair cost me another $100. Never again I will buy from tubestein beacuse I have bad experience in communication with him. Never again I will buy chinese amplifiers because it realy is a hazard in doing it. I end up building a SET with KT88. Just my $0.02.

Would you mind sharing the date you purchased the 808?

Thanks!

On the Chinese vs DIY built amps ... I'm chiming in here. For the money in the long run, I'd find someone local or semi local to build you an amp.

My story with the Chinese Yaqin MC-100b is that it sounded good for the 2 weeks it worked. One channel went out (after about 100 hrs use - 2 weeks). I finally popped the cover and well my dog could solder better... I think they are using lead free solder for some reason ta boot. Probably some lame attempt to keep the work place and workers safer.. just a guess.

After all solder joints de-soldered and re-soldered, the Yaqin amp sounds ok and of course I had to get replacement tubes (extra $$) for the pre stages (6SN7 and 12AX7). So without any other money just tube replacements I was at close to $900 and the amp build quality is suspect at best. What I did was buy a variac (7.5 amp) and turned down the voltage to like 104V ac and turned up the bias (72 Mv) - finally after 6 months it sounds pretty good.

While all of that was going on, almost $900 clams and no sounds, I went looking for a local guy that builds amps. I had one built to my specs, 6SN7/KT-88 based tube amp. Took less time that the Yaqin ship time to my door too btw. Also the tech built my amp with self biasing circuit and a pair of 5U4 rectifier tubes. All I had to do was swap in my replacement KT-88s and 6SN7s from the Yaqin and that amp is SOLID - cost me like $700 and that was a tad high compared to what he usually sells his gear for, but I got EXACTLY what I wanted. All good sounds too, better that the Chinese gear. I won't be buying any more Chinese stuff anytime soon.

Made in USA still has worth, specially in audio.

I have no idea why I thought different - probably reading a lot of hype about the Chinese amps. Folks WANT their $$$ Chinese amp to sound good, not my experience and it will cost you more than an amp custom made here in the USA to get to a decent sound going Chinese. That is my real world experience. Of course there are big dollar Chinese amps .. reviews sound good .. I wouldn't buy one with your money.

I'm working on the "learning the hard way" thing.

I'm an engineer by education so I learned electronics in college (solid state and OHMs law) so I'm reading up on circuits and what it takes to build a tube amp. I will start with a re-build of a PSA-2-3-3X pre amp and go from there. I can solder and I can work with tools. All I need is some more experience and knowledge with tubes. A PSA re-build will start my journey.

Cheers,

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.