The most revealing, unforgiving and detailed class-T amplifier on the market ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quoting myself fom a different post : What's the big deal here. I have 8 ohm speakers for years now and will probably have them for another 20 years . My ( pre ) filter is designed for 8 ohms , so fine and flat response here, no roll off in the highs .If I ever buy new 4 ohm or whatever impedance speakers to replace my current ones with the same quality , I have to spend at least a couple of thousand dollars . Replacing my output filter with high quality inductors and caps to match the new speakers impedance will set me back at least 12 dollars per channel
AIUJFJjLEaFejDwMFPgDB6skt9YYKOAAQDBMSlS9GiMMVAogX+iUUoMiBgIhJ2zUEvjmQp9ArRJdaTSIDw8ZIEgMzENkhIINC4KQ2jKFwg2Bf2R1IhAmDiUBBzh5MWShjqdRHdwsmQVMj6UnBgboAqTFFBgyAwMgSjVkhYs2EvAEWCiQA5IeVeTsyJImypGFEKwo+BAiVpkMri7tyoGrkDBblUQ4qYCFSiYzGhDcKSFJDA1fvEw0OKBDgKgCNWawWABLSqgip5o8wICGAIABmwDQQqVplR1hilTsmcPkzCMuRmBMSuDj0EBBv+CwgcSgRYJFkbp8oivwhZ8IE6DMA10YEAA7
;)

Still waiting for some A & B test between the Hypex UCD and a quality IRS2092 , for instance a LJM L15D with some 5 Dollar cap upgrades .
Never heard the UCD modules , but did hear a lot of good amps and own a few very respectable class A/B and one class A amp and still impressed with the L15D , it's my favorite every day amp .

Cheers ,

Rens
I have been pondering this, as most speakers are 4 or 8 ohms it would not be too difficult to either have removable filters or a set of relays to switch between filters. Looking at the Tripath app notes the diff between 4 and 8 ohms is 3 caps per channel. I would guess that 90% + speakers used will be 8ohm too.

Quoting myself fom a different post : What's the big deal here. I have 8 ohm speakers for years now and will probably have them for another 20 years . My ( pre ) filter is designed for 8 ohms , so fine and flat response here, no roll off in the highs .If I ever buy new 4 ohm or whatever impedance speakers to replace my current ones with the same quality , I have to spend at least a couple of thousand dollars . Replacing my output filter with high quality inductors and caps to match the new speakers impedance will set me back at least 12 dollars per channel
AIUJFJjLEaFejDwMFPgDB6skt9YYKOAAQDBMSlS9GiMMVAogX+iUUoMiBgIhJ2zUEvjmQp9ArRJdaTSIDw8ZIEgMzENkhIINC4KQ2jKFwg2Bf2R1IhAmDiUBBzh5MWShjqdRHdwsmQVMj6UnBgboAqTFFBgyAwMgSjVkhYs2EvAEWCiQA5IeVeTsyJImypGFEKwo+BAiVpkMri7tyoGrkDBblUQ4qYCFSiYzGhDcKSFJDA1fvEw0OKBDgKgCNWawWABLSqgip5o8wICGAIABmwDQQqVplR1hilTsmcPkzCMuRmBMSuDj0EBBv+CwgcSgRYJFkbp8oivwhZ8IE6DMA10YEAA7
;)

Still waiting for some A & B test between the Hypex UCD and a quality IRS2092 , for instance a LJM L15D with some 5 Dollar cap upgrades .
Never heard the UCD modules , but did hear a lot of good amps and own a few very respectable class A/B and one class A amp and still impressed with the L15D , it's my favorite every day amp .

Cheers ,

Rens
I have a number of inexpensive 'stock' Chinese made amps and boards and an assortment of speakers ranging from very low to high end with impedences ranging from 4 - 15OHM.
The amps alll sound great with the high end speakers and sound progressivly worse as the speaker quality diminishes.
I find it difficult to understand why speaker quality is never discussed, it is surely more important than changing a few components?
The Lepai thread was interesting, members would order their amps and at the same time purchase the "upgrades" without ever auditioning the amp 'as is'.

Tubes

I have been pondering this, as most speakers are 4 or 8 ohms it would not be too difficult to either have removable filters or a set of relays to switch between filters. Looking at the Tripath app notes the diff between 4 and 8 ohms is 3 caps per channel. I would guess that 90% + speakers used will be 8ohm too.

It's the same story for the tube guys , they have to change output transformer tabs or transformers if they change to speakers with different impedance ,
How often do you change speakers ? and if so will you change to a different impedance ? filters are removable if you have a soldering iron and a desoldering pump and this is a DIY forum isn't it :p

Cheers ,

Rens

I have a number of inexpensive 'stock' Chinese made amps and boards and an assortment of speakers ranging from very low to high end with impedences ranging from 4 - 15OHM.
The amps alll sound great with the high end speakers and sound progressivly worse as the speaker quality diminishes.
I find it difficult to understand why speaker quality is never discussed, it is surely more important than changing a few components?
The Lepai thread was interesting, members would order their amps and at the same time purchase the "upgrades" without ever auditioning the amp 'as is'.

I think you answered your own question

Cheers ,

Rens

How many speakers present a constant load? The problem with Tripath, and others with pre-filter feedback, is their frequency response changes with the variation in the speaker's impedance. Not an issue with Hypex because Bruno makes a point of designing amps with a flat frequency response.

This characteristic of Tripath amps gives them a Jekyll and Hyde type of personality. If you have the right speaker, they can sound good, if not, bad. You need to look at your speaker's impedance characteristics before you can predict how the tripath amp will perform.

How many speakers present a constant load? The problem with Tripath, and others with pre-filter feedback, is their frequency response changes with the variation in the speaker's impedance. Not an issue with Hypex because Bruno makes a point of designing amps with a flat frequency response.

This characteristic of Tripath amps gives them a Jekyll and Hyde type of personality. If you have the right speaker, they can sound good, if not, bad. You need to look at your speaker's impedance characteristics before you can predict how the tripath amp will perform.

We are talking about "Tekko's" high frequency roll off here , and the typical impedance of most common 2 or 3 way speakers is pretty constant above 500Hz .

Cheers ,

Rens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.