The most promising tool in the inventory so far

Ed is absolutely correct. What I have not seen yet, is that the mirrors used in my friend's laser are copper, as copper is a very good IR reflector.

I second Ed's statement that there should be an enclosure, a vent fan to the outside, and a pair of switches used as an interlock, wired series normally open. That way the lid has to be down prior to energizing the laser.

Nothing else should do.

jn

Unprotected devices are dangerous.
A series interlock with the machine cover is essential.
And if you are in a closed room. use a blower with flexible duct to remove the gases emitted during work, usually the machine comes with one.

Can you post a picture?

My friend has one, he can etch as well as cut acrylic up to maybe 6 mm thick.
But I would not use it to etch copper.

I knew somebody who worked in a helicopter factory, the canopies were cast acrylic, acrylic monomer is mixed with catalyst and cast in molds.

He used to play trumpet in a band, nice man.
The monomer solidified in his lungs, he died of solidified lungs.
This happened ten years after he retired, not immediately.
The monomer fumes were all he was exposed to, not that it entered his lungs as a liquid.

Take too much care.

I have an Ortur also. It uses a blue laser. You can find goggles that will block that spectrum pretty easily. I originally bought the 15W but I ended up upgrading the laser to the 20W (input wattage, not output). I made an enclosure for mine also with a ventilation fan that vents the refuse from the burn outside. Just like anything you do (working on high voltage amplifiers included) you want to take precautions. Wear eye protection, don't inhale fumes, don't test the temperature of the beam directly with your finger. Common sense is all that's needed. The laser will mess up your eyes, as will staring at the sun. I've survived 6 decades without staring at the sun. Not going to start now.

Congrats on the Ortur, it's a fun toy, you can etch LOTS of things. Lightburn is pretty much a must and there's a Facebook group that has a lot of info on burning tiles and other fancy things.