The Metronome

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But there's a vent at the bottom, which makes it a ML something-or-other, no?

It is a Mass Loaded line with an exponential taper, but is close enuff to an ML-Voigt (ML-Horn) to use that model for simulation purposes.

Here the drawings of the original (not ML) FE108e∑ Metronome which shows the quadrartic curve (Met) vrs the linear curve (regular ML-Voigt).

metronome-details.gif

dave

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Metronome with Visaton BG20

I have purchased two Visaton BG20 drivers and would like to build the Metronome enclosures for them. However, unless my reading missed it, there is no mention of this driver in the numerous posts. Please help in determining if the BG20’s would be a decent driver in the Metronomes.
The speaker specification is here:
BG 20 - 8 Ohm | Visaton
Thank you, have a good and Godly day

I have purchased two Visaton BG20 drivers and would like to build the Metronome enclosures for them. However, unless my reading missed it, there is no mention of this driver in the numerous posts. Please help in determining if the BG20’s would be a decent driver in the Metronomes.
The speaker specification is here:
BG 20 - 8 Ohm | Visaton
Thank you, have a good and Godly day
Hi
Its been a long time since your enquirey. If you are still looking for it,

the answer in in page #23, post # 222 to # 226.
Link -

Cheers - MM

Metronome for 1st time speaker project

I'm looking for a 1st time speaker project, the metronome looks like it might be a good fit. It looks good, is not extremely sensitive to location, and has fairly simple cabinetry. It will be used in a fairly large room (20'x20'), with a slightly taller than standard ceiling (9'). I guess the first question is whether or not the metronome is suitable for that size space.

I'm also looking for recommendations for an economical driver. So far the Betsy and Bofu clone have caught my attention, though they would require pretty large cabinets. I would appreciate recommendations for inexpensive drivers that can work in my largish room. I don't listen at high volumes, and will likely use a low power amp such as one of the first watt amps.

Size is also a consideration as Baltic Birch is only available in 5' square sheets locally. If I can get decent results I could see using MDF, I have used it for cabinetry in the past and am pretty comfortable with working with it.

Cheers, Jim

If you are going to the trouble of building a nice enclosure, and spending good money on it: why, oh why, would you cheap out on the divers? The Bofu clone, to the best of my knowledge has gotten uniformly bad reviews. The Betsy has had much more positive comments, but I have not personally listened to one.

I can say that Fostex FF225wk has performed nicely for me in a TL, augmented by a super tweeter. I believe Steve used one in a Met (again, augmented by a super tweeter; see earlier in this thread), and liked it VERY well.

I am not into extreme SPL, so I find that my FF225wk can be driven satisfactorily by a 2.5 wpc single ended tube amp. But amp matching is a bit of a black art as far as I am concerned. I might note that these same drivers don't sound so good to me when driven by a 17.5 wpc Dynakitparts.com ST-35. They sound great driven by a 6 wpc AmpCampAmp, so I assume that one of the better Pass amps would be nothing short of fabulous.

Cheers, Jim

Jim Shearer,
Thanks for you input, I did read some less than steller opinions of the Bofu, but was thinking for a first project they might work well, these might eventually make suitable speakers for one of my teenage kids, and the Bofu might standup to whatever ridiculous sound levels they may listen to when I'm not around.

The Betsy is interesting because they are very economical compared to many drivers but the cabinet ends up pretty large, they would probably be a wash in terms of cabinet materials. I will look at the Fostex 225wk seriously, I see it works in a 60" tall or so cabinet so I can probably make do with locally availabe baltic birch. I do have some old realistic (audax) metal dome tweeters, along with suitable crossovers that I can use if needed, these were in my fathers parts bin. (He liked to make DIY speakers)

Interested to hear others recommendations for drivers.

Betsy K - Omni Met?

So I've acquired a pair of Betsy K drivers and need to settle on an enclosure design. I've seen that both Scottmoose and XRK971 had worked up Metronome designs for this driver. I've also been very interested in Steve Cresswell's Omni Met. Any advice on how I'd go about adapting Scottmoose's design to become an Omni Met?

Jim

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx. That was all happening during my lengthy hospital stay.

Folding it is clever. Basically to convert a standard met you’d cut it in half (need to juggle the height to get a passage from the inner to the outer segment) and then grow the bottom cross-section sufficiently to counter the volume of the upside down bit.

dave

Edit: i see after reading further that Steve did not do it that way … fudging the shape by using fill.

planet10, thanks, I'm trying to get an idea of how to fold the enclosure, Is it done so that the distance from the driver to the ends stays the same as in the straight design? or perhaps the fold is calculated from the center line somehow? Hope to have some time to start playing with this soon.

I agree that folding the speaker is really clever. The idea of having speakers that are less sensitive to listening position and even position in the room is very attractive. Also the folded cabinet uses shorter pieces of sheet material, Scottmoose's Betsy Met, is roughly 2 meters ( 72") , which is longer than the 5'x5' birch available here. I'd have to center the cabinet sides diagonally and probably need an obscene amount of mateiral with lots of waste. Finally, the folded Cabinet makes them seem smaller which will help with spousal approval.