The LM1875 for best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
The circuit doesn't clip at all.
stanislav.JPG

Attachments

• COMPOSITE WBdiode.JPG
    COMPOSITE WBdiode.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 236
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Thank you Maxim to have reactivate the subject. I got an idea of using 1.2v reference TLV431. It has very sharp cutoff but diode 0.6v in reverse. I put inside the loop a diode, uttered the magic word hocus-pocus and it worked.

cliper tlvh431.JPG

Attachments

• tlvhclipper.JPG
    tlvhclipper.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
attachment.php

I changed the feedback path to take it from the output with correction to perfect it. This is the response with input R=0.
perfect.JPG
I added a potentiometer to the parafeed to adjust the balance of the bridge gain. This can increase or decrease the even order harmonics bringing the distortion down to 0.00015%.

Attachments

• COMPOSITE WB BRIDGE3.JPG
    COMPOSITE WB BRIDGE3.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 502
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Thank you for encouragement. It is possible to reduce much further the distortion with error corrector as post 56, I don't think in listening, putting the corrector on/off will give any difference. So will avoid such gadget. This amp can already be qualified not only ultra high definition, also "world class high precision".

Last edited:
My pleasure! I remember you had an amplifier project some time ago that had inverse polarity 3rd harmonic, which is an interesting idea, whats next now that you have explored the realms of distortion so well? Enjoying the ride at spectator seat and I envision more interesting projects ahead, thanks for providing! :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
The biasing the +input by 470k resistor, I found it absurd. It doesn't provide any potential, just a current. Why not give a true current source and regulated by itself. The input impedance of AD8008 is 4M, so 100nF is sufficient. This is what shown.
attachment.php

This current bias now on start up will adjust itself approximately while the outputs are muted. Yes, I said muted because the clipper will not be by diodes but with Jfets one each branch, and they unmute gradually to let the approximately adjusted bias pass to the servo slowly and start up without plop.
Now back to clipper and low PSU.

Attachments

• COMPOSITE WB6.JPG
    COMPOSITE WB6.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 407
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
The mute jfet does short the input of the LM1875 but due to its on resistance it passes very little voltage which is sufficient to make the servo function. So I use now the servo to bias the input and it works perfect muted as unmuted.
"Vive le progrès"
attachment.php

Attachments

• COMPOSITE WB7.JPG
    COMPOSITE WB7.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 671
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
attachment.php

This is the last split supply. The simulator is too slow with single supply.
I will start the PCB. I am an absolute beginner in this matter, so I'll be less present to learn using KiCad.

Attachments

• COMPOSITE WB BRIDGE4B.JPG
    COMPOSITE WB BRIDGE4B.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
I am looking how the arrangement of the PCB layout. The pair of outputs should be very near to each other and the two branches also to have least inductive components. I came up with this topology.
pcb.png
The PCB is flat upon the heatsink, the LM1875s are horizontal mounted in pair on either side, but the feet inserted from bellow. Everything running on +/-5V is on a separate board plugged in, probably all in SMD. At the foot of the module is the +/-5V,V/2 regulator followed by clip/mute.
The 42V regulator and speaker protector is installed also flat with TO3P on heatsink supplying very close distance the two LM pairs.
The LM1875 has flat mounted but not bellow inserted feet, so the diy will ply the feet.
What do you think?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
The feedback capacitor.

I am looking about the 330uF feedback shunt capacitor. On site https://linearaudio.nl/sites/linear...0 to 100uF caps and 100 Hz measurements_0.pdf gives distortion measurements of electrolytic 100uf.
It shows how the distortion increases by working potential. I found also that electrolytics increase their capacitance by voltage
capacitancevs volt.JPG
Either I add half of the value capacitor to +42V so that increase of one compensates by decrease of the other in push pull, with supply noise problem to resolve, or I add in parallel a capacitor which inversely decreases by voltage as the multi layer ceramic capacitor.
mlcc.JPG

It would be useful to replace C5 with a low-esr electrolytic capacitor with double the value.

Capacitors have internal resistance which is non-linear. In any useful value of ceramic capacitor that will far worse than an electrolytic capacitor - definitely a move to avoid.

The dc level in this area is low probably about a diode drop with +/- a.c. small signals being seen by C5.

If you have to bypass C5 go for a stable dielectric like polypropylene.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.