The little brother: Infineon MA12040 modifications

Hey, just read this thread and I'm thinking of getting that amp, and implementing the mods you suggested, any updates on the coil replacement or you just left them bypassed?

Hi,

There are 2 things to know.

We can bypass the output coils, but it can happen that we hear a few seconds a slight very high frequency flicker and it passes, barely audible. I have ribbon tweeters in my speakers. The ideal would be to put larger coils.

The 2nd modification, bypassing the OP, I could not recommend it. Because it cuts the gain of the OP and plugged directly into a DAC, it lacks dynamics. In addition, Bluetooth is disconnected. The ideal is either to keep it or to put a better OP.

For the price, this amplifier in its case has audio quality that is impossible to beat for the price (with a Bluetooth 5 QCC3003 bonus).

Denis

For the price, this amplifier in its case has audio quality that is impossible to beat for the price (with a Bluetooth 5 QCC3003 bonus).

Weeeeeeell...
If you "up" to 4 channels and include DSP, then IMO the Zoudio AIO 4ch is a better value option.
Have not heard the MA12040 or the '70 though, so no base of comparison.
I do have some amps based on the TPA3250 that are excellent, and they are also in the same price bracket.

Could be that the MA12040 in question is very good value and an good buy, but there's a lot of competition and excellent performance to be had in the same "per channel" price range.
So, for me the:
impossible to beat for the price
Is a bit too strong way of phrasing it.

Hi,

We are talking about an amplifier in its case around US $ 40. I said "unbeatable for the price" (of US $ 40). But this statement only affects me. You can disagree, it's your right. :)

Of course the Dual Merus is much more expensive and surely superior ... it all depends on the initial budget.

Denis

Last edited:
I said "unbeatable for the price" (of US $ 40). But this statement only affects me. You can disagree, it's your right.

I'm not disagreeing that it's value for money.

I am disagreeing that:
this amplifier in its case has audio quality that is impossible to beat for the price

There is some very tough competition in the lower price range. It's not just my personal opinion, "Impossible to beat" is quite the statement. And it does not convince me for a single second.

I could agree if you said something like: "Very hard to beat" or "Little competition in regards to price/performance".

A few (2-5)$ +/- does not matter much in this price range there are a lot of options, in case, around that price. And if you specify the same general cost per channel there's even more competition when you take into account multi-channel solutions.

Ofcourse, like you said, I am entitled to an opinion just like you are.
Merely disagreeing with the choice of words.

I could agree if you said something like: "Very hard to beat" or "Little competition in regards to price/performance".

A few (2-5)$ +/- does not matter much in this price range there are a lot of options, in case, around that price. And if you specify the same general cost per channel there's even more competition when you take into account multi-channel solutions.

Okay, I'll say "hard to beat for this price" instead.

Don't bother me at all and I respect your opinion. In addition, I no longer have this amplifier, because I find the superior Shui Yuan 3255, suddenly the OPs and large condos changed.

Denis

:)
I can be difficult sometimes, sorry about that.

Curious that you switched, was there any specific reason for changing to the TPA3255?
Did you perceive any significant differences between the TI and Infineon sound?
A lot of the opinions I've seen seem to be more coloured by the most recent purchase than actual quality, wondering what your thoughts are on this.

I have other class D and AB amplifiers. The 3255 that I have in hand, the sound is darker than the MA12040. The bass and low midrange, more dynamic and more authority. The medium is good. But the MA12040 of this thread, high and high midrange a lot airy and dynamic. Soundstage side at the top, the Infineon upper and the 3255 in the midrange and lower. But these are not the best implementation of these 2 chips.

If I had no other plans, I would have bought a Dual Merus.