The La Scala bass horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
klipschlascala_zps2565748c.gif

not including room gain though........

If you cheat all the way with a crappy closed box driver you actually get response all the way down to 50 Hz. (Doctor Boar; DIY loudspeakers and HiFi) but then sensitivity is well below what you get with a classical horn driver like the Beyma G320. The TS paramters of the Klipsh horns are more in the low Fr and mid Q range than "classical" horn drivers with higher Fr and lower Q.

One way of looking at is tha you have a horn working down to 80 Hz or so and then if the driver is at 60 Hz with a high Q that helps the drop off more than a low Q resonance would.

you can add a riser with some volume vent it and of course couple to the dog house and get solid to 30Hz. Lots of people have done this check the archive on the Klipsch forum tons of discussion there. You can just as easily use the volume of the top hat chamber again coupled to the dog house. Brace work on the mouth helps a lot.Hope this is of some interest. Best regards Moray James.

klipsch la scala

hi,
Could someone tell me "something" about the klipsch la scala please ?I'm interested in buying them and after reading some reports , I don't know what to think...Unfortunalty ,never heard them.Some people say it's a legend ,other :they are not that good....
thanks a lot
Pascal

I've been forever curious about someone scaling up the La Scala to an 18" driver. Plans exist for someone to build the cabinetry, complete with all the internal dimensions & angles....but no one has built a "super-size" version.
I always thought there would be great low-end extension with the larger size.....maybe extending well into the Thirties.....an extension the common classic size, can't do.

__________________________________________________Rick...............

LaScala improved

Rick you can build a vented riser for a LaScala which couples to the volume in the dog house and achieve bass into the low thirties with a stock K33 LaScala woofer. This adds about 8 inches or so to the cabinet height. You need to remember that the LaScala and or the Belle are essentially 125 Hz horns that's where they start to drop like a rock due to mouth size. You want lower? you will have to build much much larger. You are going to need a very big room. Even in Pro rigs they don't use horns as subs due to the huge size. I don't think you really want what you think that you want. The Ciare design attached is as you can see a little larger than a LaScala and this modern design is I believe about as good as you are going to get as far as bass extension and size go. Lower gets huge in a hurry no matter what size driver you choose. I hope that this helps. Best regards Moray James.

Attachments

• Ciare bt01.pdf Bass Horn full design.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 294
As a horn (no vents) you can get to 50-60 Hz depending on room loading and the used driver. A classical horn driver will be very sensitive but drop off below 100 Hz a driver with more closed box features (Q of 0.4- 0.5) will have far less sensitivity but will keep up better in the bass final octave 50-100 Hz. Two rather extreme cases are shown the Klipsch driver is somewere in the middle.

You won't get much output below 50 hz because of the K-33's limited Xmax, a characteristic of high efficiency drivers because of their short, highly focused magnetic gap.

The bass reflex section can't compete with the horn for efficiency, either. The K-33 is about 97db/w but in a horn it's 102db/w.

You won't get much output below 50 hz because of the K-33's limited Xmax, a characteristic of high efficiency drivers because of their short, highly focused magnetic gap.
QUOTE]
You may want to re-think this one.

The K-33 is quite capable of going lower than 50Hz. It is also used in the Klipschorn (horn loaded) and the Cornwall (vented). The folding geometry, horn length and undersized mouth are the reasons the output is limited at the lower frequencies. The K-33 is fine when used in other designs.

What I meant was that the bass reflex section of a vented back chamber La Scala would not be able to keep up with
the horn loaded mid-bass of the horn.

The Cornwall has nowhere near the efficiency of the La Scala over its horn loaded range. As I said, 97db vs 102+ db.

The Klipschorn is horn loaded down to 35hz and so can play loudly despite the K-33's diminutive Xmax.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.