The JC-2 preamp schematic on the website is wrong...Mr.John C?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I missed the "sound check" concert when they first tried this system out at the Cow Palace near San Francisco, in a (very) rare occurance of academic responsibility. Sure regret it now!!

I'm not sure I ever heard the full setup. They used pieces of it for years after I think.
My memories are kinda fuzzy...........................;)

Ron Wickersham, Bear and I had the responsibility for the components of the system. There were others as well. Jon Meyer was a personal friend to me, but he did not work with this system. Later, Jon Meyer and I went to Switzerland to work on another project, and this system was completed by Ron Wickersham.

Another small fact. The circuit that we were originally talking about on this thread that came from the JC-2, was originally designed for the big 'Wall of Sound' system used by the Grateful Dead. Mark adopted it for the JC-2 because of its success with the Grateful Dead in sounding better than selected existing op-amps.

The "Wall of Sound"

grateful.jpg

John Curl happen to be in this pic???

Jc-2 update

The JC-2 preamp Sch is on the famouse unoffical website of Mark Levinson

http://marklev.com/

After altering by another man from China,I just found the wrong in the ouput module sch.

http://www.hifidiy.com/dispbbs.asp?boardID=13&RootID=68247&ID=68247&skin=0

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In the ouput module(=line stage),the phase polarity of - input is same as the output.In the words,the feedback of this module is postive not negative,the output module is an OSC not a NFB amp.

To correct it,IMO,the base pin of 2N4401/2N4402 should be exchanged with the emitter pin.I wonder if anyone had rebuilded the JC-2 according to the marklev.com schematic.

Mr.John C and the other member,do you agree with me?

Thanks your any input.

The marlev.com guy got the scans from me several years ago, but he never published John Curl's correction labeled "JC-2 UPDATE" in The Audio Amateur.
Long discussions have been had, and much water has ran into the sea, but here it is attached.

:cool: Rolv-Karsten Rønningstad

Attachments

• JC-2 update by JC.jpg
    JC-2 update by JC.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,002
Thanks for the input. R-K. I always get the leads confused, myself. However, what I first published was drawn up first at Mark Levenson, the company, and I didn't catch the error at first. Still, miss it today, if I don't look carefully. The correction came in a following issue of 'The Audio Amateur' and many people missed it, and still overlook it, even today.

BJC22.jpg

Hi RK
It was an experiment using two JC-2 line stage pcbs I have available to form a one channel balanced pre-amp. Everybody was impressed even though the pre-amp was operated in one channel only.

Hi John
I did not have a chance to look at the JC-80 schematic. Is there any place I can locate it for a view?

What about modify JC-2 into balanced?

RIMG0879.jpg

It is almost Halloween here in the US, so I don't feel too bad about reviving this zombie/old thread :D

Here is a JC-2 pre I just built with balanced XLR and RCA outputs. I call it the Cathedral 2-Eleven (I am not sure it will be a good idea to get to 7 :worried:).

Attachments

• DSC06412.jpg
    DSC06412.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC06431.jpg
    DSC06431.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC06466.jpg
    DSC06466.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC06493.jpg
    DSC06493.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC06501.JPG
    DSC06501.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC06483.jpg
    DSC06483.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC06485.jpg
    DSC06485.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 223
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.