The importance of proper setup and vibrations control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JasonL said:
Grab your guns were going to war with this one. peter Vs Steve Eddie

WOOT

War is it? OK here's the first SCUD!

"Complexity is born of man; mankind loves complexities. This
is due to the activity of the mind-mesh, which splits truth
into fragments, the shadows of which appear as facts. Not
all the facts combined will present the truth, nor can all
facts be combined until the essence of truth is discernible."

But seriously, let's get back to Gainclones and leave this subject (valid as it is) for another thread. :goodbad:

Joined 2002
Paid Member
last question.

I want to know , what if the source and amp/electronics is in another room from the speakers. This way the acoustic vibrations will be kept away from the electronics. Will that be the best way to avoid "vibration and coupling " problems - and far less expensive.
Also, do most of you have wooden floors? Our homes are built out of cement and concrete with hard flooring. So only air borne vibrations can become an issue.
Cheers.

Re: last question.

ashok said:
I want to know , what if the source and amp/electronics is in another room from the speakers. This way the acoustic vibrations will be kept away from the electronics. Will that be the best way to avoid "vibration and coupling " problems - and far less expensive.
Also, do most of you have wooden floors? Our homes are built out of cement and concrete with hard flooring. So only air borne vibrations can become an issue.
Cheers.

Yeah, but the longer the lines get, the greater the transmission parasitics become, right?

--Jordan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Solutions.

"Yeah, but the longer the lines get............"
Make it a back to back arrangement. Drill small holes in the wall. So the equipment ( power amp ) sits on the other side of the wall !

"And you don't see wat track's playing on your CD.."

A new business oportunity. "Remote" remote with display.

"The infra-red doesn’t work very well through the walls"

Maybe we could use IR repeaters or RF remotes ? Another business opportunity !
Cheers.
Ashok.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SPIKE LEE.

Hi guys,

1/Spikes belong under gear you want to have a solid reference to ground, for example speakers.

2/Cones perform an entirely different function and will perform differently whether you put them spike side up or down.

3/CLD is used in avionics amongst other apps and includes constrained, i.e. pressed materials and is a rather complex issue.

4/MD the mechanical diode principle, just keep in mind that is not equivalent to the electrical diode.

Isaac Newton said: anything that moves loses energy...now here is where you can get creative.

Ciao,;)

Re: SPIKE LEE.

fdegrove said:
1/Spikes belong under gear you want to have a solid reference to ground, for example speakers.

What exactly do you mean by "reference to ground"?

2/Cones perform an entirely different function and will perform differently whether you put them spike side up or down.

How exactly do they perform differently whether you put them spike side up or down?

3/CLD is used in avionics amongst other apps and includes constrained, i.e. pressed materials and is a rather complex issue.

How is it any more complex than extensional damping?

4/MD the mechanical diode principle, just keep in mind that is not equivalent to the electrical diode.

Sure. But where are mechanical diodes being used in audio equipment?

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Copout.

Hi,
How exactly do they perform differently whether you put them spike side up or down?

Depends...how stupid do want to look?

ow exactly do they perform differently whether you put them spike side up or down?

No difference to you?

How is it any more complex than extensional damping?

Shows your nature again...besides the point my friend.

Sure. But where are mechanical diodes being used in audio equipment?

No?

There goes all my work for the Goldmund company....they are so unsuccessful and silly...it is really beyond belief.
Physics is a bitch, just have a wire crossed and there you go....

I'll really have a field day to discuss physics...by then we'll all be banned of course...

Bye,:cool:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
As it turns out through some searching on the web, acrylic, and it variations do have very high mechanical damping properties. As I looked at all of the everyday applications of acrylic, and various plastics in general, it was like a slap on the forehead to not have recognized this before. Furthermore Acrylic’s damping properties extend over a broad range of audible frequencies. This is most likely the reason that many high-end TT platters are being made of acrylic.

When the vibrational energy is transferred from the component to the spikes in Peter’s setup, the spikes in turn imparts that vibrational energy to the acrylic at 3 very small “points”. It is true that at very low frequencies, the vibrations can be returned to the component through the spikes, but once the frequency is high enough (I would guess in the mid-bass region) the acrylic will start to deform under the pressures required to transmit that energy back through the 3 points. This, I think, could be a description for a “mechanical diode”, or at least a uni-directional filter.

The actual frequencies being transmitted to the acrylic in Peter’s system is anybody's guess. There are many mechanical filters and coupling points that would complicate any analysis, not to mention the mass of the component and spikes and the compliance of the components surface in contact with the top of the spikes. Though I do not doubt that there are ranges of vibrations that are being damped by the acrylic through the spikes.

Rodd Yamashita

Re: Copout.

fdegrove said:
Depends...how stupid do want to look?

As stupid as whatever the truth is.

So again, how exactly do they perform differently whether you put them spike side up or down?

No difference to you?

I don't know. I just know that I haven't seen an analysis yet which shows that they perform differently whether you put them spike side up or down. And judging by your response so far, it looks like I can look forward to still not having seen an analysis which shows that they perform differently whether you put them spike side up or down.

So again, how exactly do they perform differently whether you put them spike side up or down?

Shows your nature again...besides the point my friend.

My nature? What nature is that? My only nature is to ask questions regarding things I either don't understand or don't jibe with my current understanding of things.

What's beside the point are all these non-answers to sincere questions.

No?

There goes all my work for the Goldmund company....they are so unsuccessful and silly...it is really beyond belief.

What has Goldmund's success have to do with antying? There are companies successful selling all manner of things. Doesn't mean that they actually do what they're claimed to do.

And I'm not saying they don't. If I were saying that, I wouldn't have asked the question.

Physics is a bitch, just have a wire crossed and there you go....

Yes it is. So when can I expect to actually see some physics here?

I'll really have a field day to discuss physics...by then we'll all be banned of course...

That a reason or an excuse? Far as I'm aware, physics discussions aren't against any of the rules here. If need be, we can always start a separate thread.

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
ACRYL.

Hi Rodd,

This is most likely the reason that many high-end TT platters are being made of acrylic.

The reason we chose acrylic was that is is close to vinyl in mechanical impedance.
It was not perfect, but it came close...as a matter of fact acrylic comes in various forms...we used metacrylate in a slightly altered form.
It was treated with lineoil to make it impervious to static charges.

Ciao,;)

More Theory And Practical.

I find valve springs to be non-directional.

Steve, it seems that none of us have objective measurement data to describe sonic differences due to spikes, cones (inverted or not), or for that matter springs.
However the rest of us have experienced differing sonics due to these varables, regardless of theory explanations.

Question - What tweaks/improvements have you tried in YOUR systems, and what results did you notice ?.

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.