The Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio 2017 Get together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hang in there Mark, hoping you have a fast recovery.

Pierre, I'm hoping one of the other able bodies can pitch in with it this year, I've unfortunately been buried.

OTOH we could always go back to the previous format and wing it! :) Lining all the stuff to show at start of day will make it easier to schedule on the fly.

Dave.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thank you Dave. We will manage, like we have in the past ;)

Here's a list to kick things off. Everyone is welcome to join the list, or show up on the morning of the event. Feel free to edit and repost the list. Thank you.

Cheers - Pierre

John K - FR's with a tiny sub powered by a class D TPA3116 2.1
John K - The Wire preamp
DDF - Modded Gilmore Lite heaphone amp and noisy cricket
Pierre - Yamaha SACD player, DIY FW preamp and F4 mono blocks, large 2-way speakers
Tall John - How are the "Scottmoose's Lotus BVR with Mark Audio CHR70" coming along?
Felix - Phono preamp?

Hi. The Lotus should be ready, and I'll also have a pair of Tabaq with TangBand W3-871 drivers. A couple of single driver designs.

How about we give people until Monday to say what they are bringing, and then work out a schedule from that?

Is anyone bringing a higher quality amp that can handle 8 ohm speakers? I have some t-amps but would like to hear these speaker with something better.

Good idea on a deadline for who is bringing what. Monday sounds reasonable.

I can modify the first post and put together a schedule.

John K - FR's with a tiny sub powered by a class D TPA3116 2.1
John K - The Wire preamp
DDF - Modded Gilmore Lite heaphone amp and noisy cricket
Pierre - Yamaha SACD player, DIY FW preamp and F4 mono blocks, large 2-way speakers
Tall John - Lotus and Tabaq Single driver designs
Felix - Phono preamp?

If we just copy paste and modify the current list as people respond it will make it a lot easier.

I'll add that I have a seriously scaled back idea on microphone use and stereo perspective. Can be done via headphones or speakers.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now that you mention it, the preamp I will bring runs out of voltage swing before the power amps (they are buffers) can deliver the 100 watts. The main virtue of the combination is not loudness but control. I don't listen loud anyways, and am satisfied with the first 5 watts provided they are "quality" watts. I have another preamp that can swing the voltage all the way, but it isn't as subjectively "accurate" as the one I will bring - or John's The Wire for that matter.

Tube amps have their charm too and it is growing on me. Did not get the time to build anything although parts and blueprints are accumulating. Next year perhaps ;).

Thanks Pierre, sorry about that, it's been force feed 60 -70 hour weeks for 2 months.

The wire or my Gilmore Lite should have enough gain to drive the F4s. Please let me know if we need a second amp, I can bring the Hypex or Nuprime. I can also bring a dac again if needed.

The Gilmore Lite won't have a special "session" (DIY done to it is just some signal routing), but just personally interested in a short comparison to the wire.

I knocked together yet another 2 way this year, this time for my son to take to University. Uses ancient drivers sitting in the closet since the late 80's (P2120s and D25AGs). Not bad considering such (cough) "legendary" drivers. No name (but the "George Burns" seems fitting). If we need to fill time, I can bring them, but there will be far more interesting designs to listen to so please don't slot them in unless you feel you need to kill time.

Last edited:
Mark - I'm sorry to hear that you're not doing so well. Best wishes to you while you're on the mend.

In a somewhat related topic... for some past meetings, I've been able to bring along a few friends & relatives to join us. Unfortunately, they will not likely be joining us this year (or reduced #'s) - work scheduled weeks or months in advance; surgery; other plans. However, I do plan to attend.

And I'll have to admit that once again, I don't think that I'll have anything to show off. I did manage to build 4 fairly large LP storage units, 2 CD storage units, and another 2 units are close to completion... so I've managed to do some audio-related projects, but I'm not bringing them to our get-together.

- Ron

I will bring my boozhound batteries powered phono preamp, with the vintage Yamaha YP 511 turntable I brought last year, as a source. I will also bring variety of wires I've been working on, a pair of speaker cable, a few pairs of interconnects and a 3.5mm jack patch cable. All of the cables having low mas connectors and natural fiber dielectric.

Hi Dave. Don't burn out !
It would be great if you could bring your DAC. Mine is out of order. Thank you.
Yes, a preamp comparison would be simple and fun.
The P2120 must be an ancient driver indeed. Can't find it on the net :eek:. What is it?

Hi Pierre,
In the '70's DIY speaker world, you could get Philips, maybe Audax if you were lucky. Then Vifa came on the scene and the M2120, P17 and P2120 were that era's "go to" drivers. They're 8" poly woofers that were used in many many speakers back then. Pre-web, pre-Scan speak, pre- parts express etc.

This combo is an interesting speaker with very heavy diffraction control, and the xover turned out to be decent.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Felix - Thank you for your contributions. We will have another fun program this year.

Dave - Cool. Is it me or can some of these old drivers be real nice?. I refurbished a pair of KEF monitors (B200 woofer) for my sister and they sound much better than I expected.

My other speakers were finished yesterday evening. The key of the Lodge is in my hands. I will put together a tentative program in a couple of days. I hope Mark gets better and can join us. Otherwise all is good.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thank you Mark - I'm working on this right now.

Tall John - You did a great MC last year. Are you willing to do it again?

John K - Between you an me, we have two almost-complete systems. If you agree, we could set up one in each room. You are normally in early, so I could schedule you first on our "flexible" 2017 program.

We'll need a source for John's system. And speaker stands.

If I recall correctly, both rooms are bad at letting low frequencies enter the turntable through the floor. We should address this if we want to spin vinyl without damaging our woofers. Any ideas?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Systems v. 1

List of gear, arranged by two main systems, A and B. We can substitute the other speakers, etc in these two main systems during the day.
Is this complete? I am happy to modify.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2017-04-19 à 20.17.32.png
    Capture d’écran 2017-04-19 à 20.17.32.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 81
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.