The future of Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Blowtorch is willing to ante-up for promotion, plus registration fee's etc., to keep this going and throwing out a couple more suggestions.

Here in Houston we have the Houston Press magazine with a music section, if Dallas has this type of magazine it might be helpful:
Houston Music

Have flyers or promo signs at the record stores.

Pay to flyer a music event/festival pending when LSAF is scheduled
50 festivals to look forward to this spring in Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

Promote a Vinyl day-Get a local store to team up with Rega Dist which is based in Dallas in one of the first floor rooms
Rega | RP8 RP6 RP3 RP1 Turntable DAC BRIO-R Apollo-R Osiris Isis Saturn Tonearm Loudpeakers | The Sound Organization

I'm onboard to pay a bit to help fund advertising. I'd even be willing to help design some of the graphics and such.

With that in mind, what do you guys think are our 5 BEST avenues to pursue with regards to advertising? I heard Absolute Sound and Home Theater Shack thrown out. Someone was also saying that one magazine will list events for free? Which one was that?

Also, I think getting the LOCAL brick and mortar shops onboard would help immensely. Visit each of the shops early in the year and give them a bunch of fliers or business cards to hand out with every purchase. The people that seek out these specialty shops locally are the perfect market. If we can get those businesses onboard we can reach a MUCH larger local audience. ;)

Good evening everyone.

I have been attending LSAF for the past several years and would also hate to see this event fade away. There have been many great suggestions as well as ideas that were shared. While it is valid to consider a more suitable location such as a city, we would have to consider many more variables.

For instance:
- Austin: Considered the "Live Music Capital" and statistically, an industry leading tech boom. The new Silicon Valley.
- Dallas: According to the latest Census, gained over 1 million people throughout DFW

I could continue with extensive, discrete data but to what end would that serve? I feel that the original intent of LSAF would also have to face certain unavoidable changes. These are different times, different masses of people and most definitely a different fostered culture. I have never felt a sense of salesmanship at LSAF. Everyone, every room, every setup, has a welcoming feeling with a vibe that speaks "Hey, come on in, sit down, grab a drink...".

With that said, this is the perfect opportunity to re-gather, and refresh the purpose. The age of digital is upon all of us and with it, are the Gen X'ers and Gen Y'ers. LSAF has always been a multi-tenant model but there is a very large demographic group that are being left out.

We must also consider the demographic differences between regions and the target market. There are many colleges, universities and music venues (i.e. local jazz fest), etc.. The cost would be minimal to post at any of the aforementioned places.

A direct consequence of the increased foot traffic is also an opportunity to do what has always occurred at LSAF; education regarding quality sound (which is sorely missed), and increase in present / future business.

I am not a vendor or industry participant but I will gladly submit my in-depth take to turn this around. I also have no problems with donating for this cause. However, I do have one last thing to say tonight. For some reason, some obvious and some not, my insight tells me that Embassy Suites had a vibe that LSAF has exceeded its welcome of stay.

Have a good night everyone.

AI

It sounds like a lot of entropy, and a little apathy, let the show down. I got involved because I wanted to set up a turntable (a big pretty one) in someone's room. All the guys I asked either didn't respond, said they were going to another show, or weren't going. I didn't know who was running the show while Wayne was out of action, so I gave up.

I didn't know there was a FB page. Some people prefer using FB, but I'd prefer a dynamic page with constantly updated content, a link to a FB page, dynamic content that included the Youtube videos, a forum, pages for attendees to show what they are taking, the prices, etc.. The web page, the FB page, an account on Youtube, along with SEO, and cheap marketing. It will bring in lot's of folks.

Don't put all your effort into FB. There is a huge group that doesn't trust it, or they think it's stupid. You reach the Luddites by contacting all the hundreds of groups, scattered around the nation, and the world. The Luddites will usually have at least one friend on a group that mentions it to them.

So, obviously....there are enough people to make this work. Also, there are enough rooms at the Embassy Suites to host every fetishist weird wacko audio bent in the world, from mining the iron ore, and planting the trees for your field-coil horns, to snake oil, to digital, analog, tape, SACD, music servers, etc..

Someone has to appoint people to take care of parts of this job.

Like I said a few days ago, I'm home all the time, mostly, and can build pages for attendees that don't know HTML, PHP, CSS, and SEO. I was forced to figure out WP (because I wasn't going to pay a "webmaster" thousands, and hey, I do embrace DIY) and can whip out a page and have it recognized by Google the same day.

There are dozens of local outlets to market it, all for free.

I'd like to see something that attracts non-believers, like a record show. How many of those guys are playing their "vinyls" on a Crosley or Soundburger?

And I'd like to see tables with tubes and parts and kits. How? By contacting the people that sell tubes at HamCom. And by posting on tube groups. And we could twist Velleman's arm to come out, put in a booth, advertise to support their own market, or send a door prize.

Speaking of door prizes...

And I'd like to see tables with cans. Vinyl is growing, but it is a fart in a tornado compared to headphones.

Wayne, please appoint people to do things and tell them what to do. Put on your R Lee Ermey hat.

Last edited:
free advertising

There is free advertising in almost every magazine and ezine that you can think of. All you have to do is ask. It helps if admission is free. Someone needs to be appointed as the "contacting magazines Czar".

I'm onboard to pay a bit to help fund advertising. I'd even be willing to help design some of the graphics and such.

With that in mind, what do you guys think are our 5 BEST avenues to pursue with regards to advertising? I heard Absolute Sound and Home Theater Shack thrown out. Someone was also saying that one magazine will list events for free? Which one was that?

Also, I think getting the LOCAL brick and mortar shops onboard would help immensely. Visit each of the shops early in the year and give them a bunch of fliers or business cards to hand out with every purchase. The people that seek out these specialty shops locally are the perfect market. If we can get those businesses onboard we can reach a MUCH larger local audience. ;)

I asked a couple of the local high end audio shops why they didn't attend, and their response seemed to indicate they thought it was a waste of time. They don't want to haul their equipment one mile (John Fort is less than a mile away from the show). The show really is for people trying to expand their market. The few remaining audio shops already have the market, and won't expand their market by showing equipment to people from out of town that will probably go home and buy it off the internet, or at their local shop.

I'd like to see something that attracts non-believers, like a record show. How many of those guys are playing their "vinyls" on a Crosley or Soundburger?

Like I mentioned before "Record Days" in the Houston area attract 15-25yr olds, but yes most are playing on sub-par TT's like you have mentioned, but still are buying the records. One of the shops by my house had a 10yr old break his piggy bank for a Beatles album during record days.

We will be putting a TT in one of our rooms like Dave(Raven) did this next year. Tis the reason I would like to contact Rega to team up w/record store.

There are a lot of good ideas on this thread.

Let me throw one more into the mix. How about targeting more of the DIY/kit vendors?

The reason I got on an airplane for the 1st Tulsa show was to hear speakers that were only available as kits. The only other option (except for hearing them at the show) was to buy 'em, build 'em and pray that I'd like 'em. That's awfully time consuming and doesn't always lead you to the gear you love.

LSAF always has rooms full of things you won't find in stores or at other audio shows. There are a lot of kit makers out there that aren't represented at LSAF yet. How do we get them to the show?

It's what makes Lone Star so unique. You just can't find a lot of this stuff anywhere else.

Thats a cool idea. I can see Bottlehead kits and Twisted Pear!

I tried to get Dan from Bottlehead there several times, but the date always conflicted for him because it was too close between shows and a long way for him to go. I know there have been a handful of people that have brought their BH gear through the years (Skip Pack was one I believe?).

I seem to remember Bob Spence paid for an Audiogon ad one year and after that debated whether it was worth it or not.

Audiogon ads, or any other paid advertising

Many people are asking that same thing these days. They've messed up a good thing and made it worse by panicing. I moved over to US Audio Mart. usaudiomart.com

Again, I don't think we need to spend a dime to get good attendance. Because it is free to the public, most magazines will publish the information. On the other hand, if LSAF charged $3T per room, and it was cognescenti only, then they would want their cut. Trust me, most of the magazine people are reasonable (I used to be one).

I seem to remember Bob Spence paid for an Audiogon ad one year and after that debated whether it was worth it or not.

15-25yr olds

We need to attract those 15-25yr olds. And we should be nice to them. Most of the kids are interested in things that are tangible, having grown up digital. Any interest in turntables would eventually create cross-selling opportunities. Or, maybe they get a used Thorens, fix it up, and buy one of Hagerman's kits, or Broskie's. Many of these kids are surprisingly clever, even though they seem borderline brain-damaged at times. Don't underestimate them.

Like I mentioned before "Record Days" in the Houston area attract 15-25yr olds, but yes most are playing on sub-par TT's like you have mentioned, but still are buying the records. One of the shops by my house had a 10yr old break his piggy bank for a Beatles album during record days.

We will be putting a TT in one of our rooms like Dave(Raven) did this next year. Tis the reason I would like to contact Rega to team up w/record store.

One thing to consider is raising money for journalists. I went to CES with some of my expenses paid. I wasn't about to go, spend days taking notes and pictures, enrich the publisher, but pay all my own expenses. If you want to attract a few decent journalists (term used loosely), you need to offset some of their expenses. The smaller regional shows do that.

I realize this board doesn't care too much about retail or finished products, but even DIY events should be covered by someone.

Mouser, Tektronix, Velleman

Mouser, Tektronix and Velleman all have a local presence. I buy many of my parts from Mouser. Tektronix is constantly putting on seminars.

Velleman has idiotic dealer requirements, but might be coaxed out to play. You'll rarely see DIY Audio places selling their products, but that's mostly because they require an insane volume.

Mouser has many interesting products, though they are a true pick and pack place. I don't know if they have a regional sales rep, engineers, or anyone that would put on a demo, sell parts...

If you asked Tektronix nicely, they'd show you anything and everything about measuring (electronic, not sure about acoustical). They might also throw in a door prize, like a MSO73304DX (LOL). They've gone all Star Trek in recent years, with $300,000 Gigahertz mixed domain scopes, but they are interested in developing their market.

Mouser, Tektronix and Velleman all have a local presence. I buy many of my parts from Mouser. Tektronix is constantly putting on seminars.

Velleman has idiotic dealer requirements, but might be coaxed out to play. You'll rarely see DIY Audio places selling their products, but that's mostly because they require an insane volume.

Mouser has many interesting products, though they are a true pick and pack place. I don't know if they have a regional sales rep, engineers, or anyone that would put on a demo, sell parts...

If you asked Tektronix nicely, they'd show you anything and everything about measuring (electronic, not sure about acoustical). They might also throw in a door prize, like a MSO73304DX (LOL). They've gone all Star Trek in recent years, with $300,000 Gigahertz mixed domain scopes, but they are interested in developing their market.
Funny you should mention Mouser. They are actually a customer of mine. I'm there talking with their IT guys frequently and I've never realized you could go to the warehouse and actually buy parts. :spin:

PS: I just finished all the data entry from the info cards I've kept since last year (yeah, I kept them allllllll this time). We now have a contact list of 160 people. That's more than enough to try and get an email news letter going! :D

You can go and buy parts at Mouser? I'd love to make the trip if they give tours. I was at the ULine warehouse in Coppell last week. It's next to the Amazon fulfillment center. Miles of products....

Funny you should mention Mouser. They are actually a customer of mine. I'm there talking with their IT guys frequently and I've never realized you could go to the warehouse and actually buy parts. :spin:

PS: I just finished all the data entry from the info cards I've kept since last year (yeah, I kept them allllllll this time). We now have a contact list of 160 people. That's more than enough to try and get an email news letter going! :D

I will add my 2 cents though I never visited the show.
We just showed at Axpona and received a Best of Show award.
I will be moving to Austin soon and would love to have a local show (include Dallas as local for any case)
1- Changing the Show to Austin I think is a good move mainly because you are sending a message that there is a will to change and go bigger. Staying in Dallas, as good as it could be, sends a "we are still here" message. No change.
2- There is an "Austin Record Convention" going on in October that has been happening for 35 years and is getting bigger (austinrecords.com) Maybe getting in contact with them and showing together, at the same venue would be a good idea, or at least at the same time close by: It is almost the same week as RMAF so that could be a complication.
3- It is said that if you want to slow something down you should make a committee. They will never agree on something and any move will take too long. There should be one or two heads, with a lot of help from everybody else to do things, not think them over.
4-People should get money for their work, and this is a lot of work. So there should be a charge and the organizers should make a nice amount of money for their trouble. It will also make exhibitors feel safe about going to the show, most expenses for a show are not the room itself and more organization makes you feel better about going.
5- Try to bring in the big companies, it is nice to have a small diy show, but if you go to a show you want to listen to a system you will never have and see how good it can really sound. Big discounts could apply to diyers who have been going to the show for some years.
6- The actual date is right between two of the biggest shows, Axpona and Newport. It is already tough to make it to those two, to add another one in between. Then comes CAF and then CAS and even Munich for the big companies. I would go for an October-November date.
7- You will need a shipping service that will receive the gear, store it and deliver it directly to the show room. Unpacking, Setting a show and packing it again is already enough work, and most big manufacturers will not be local.
8- Most magazines and audio news will help you out publishing news and sending reporters if they see a big enough organization. It helps to make a lot of fuzz on as many forums as possible.
9-The Hotel where it takes place should have the biggest rooms possible and a lot of conference or bigger rooms. The room is very important and size does matter!

I wish you all the best of luck for the show and I will try to help in any way I can.

George Sadurni
Sadurni Acoustics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.