The "Elsinore Project" Thread

I am quite curious about possible changes in the Elsinore crossover.
Helmut

Hi Helmut

You don't need to worry, any changes only affect the electrical side and refines the EQ of the current of the amplifier.

It is mainly the components for the high frequencies EQ, first the Zobel consisting of R4 and C5:

The 6R8 (R4) will be the same.

The 0.47uF (C5) is changed to 0.68uF and if you change that value, you must also change (R3) from 9R to a more standard value 8R2 10W Ceramic.

Those are the only two values affected. But if you change one, you change both.

In your case, 9R and 0.47uF match each other and are OK, so no need to change them. We are simply talking about minor refinement and is the result of the co-development with the Hamlet Mk6.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Joe

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello Joe,
I won't look ungrateful, but I didn't fully understand your recommendation.
I built with NRXC, in the crossover is no C5 nor a R4. I suppose, this are the optional part 6R8 and 0,47 µF? Okay then, I didn expect an influence of R3 on C5 vice versa. But may be it's indirect.
I have to try this speakers with my F2J.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, I am no carpenter, thats visible. So I am not excessively proud on my speakers. especially the feets need to be replaced, I used what I had on hand.

Attachments

• Elsionore 2.jpg
    Elsionore 2.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 367
  • Elsionore 1.jpg
    Elsionore 1.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 375
  • Elsionore 3.jpg
    Elsionore 3.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 368
Well, I am no carpenter, thats visible. So I am not excessively proud on my speakers. especially the feets need to be replaced, I used what I had on hand.

-feet do look bad, BUT they also lift the speaker up some which is often desirable. (..in fact if it were me I'd make a small stand for the loudspeakers that lift them up about twice as high as what you already have.)

The rest of the loudspeaker however looks really good. :)

I have a question regarding the front panel: the stated 18mm thickness is undesirable, it is much more economic to stick to 25mm throughout. I would obviously have to add 7mm to the depth of the speakers to maintain the same volume, which I calculated as 74.27 litres based on the drawings at Elsinore Construction

Will a 25mm front panel cause me any other construction issues? Thanks.

I built with NRXC, in the crossover is no C5 nor a R4. I suppose, this are the optional part 6R8 and 0,47 µF?

Yes, you can add those, 6R8 and 0.47uF. They keep the impedance flat up to beyond 100KHz and even more importantly the current phase angle flat as well. Yes, they were considered 'optional' at the time, but for the sake of consistency, they are now included. They are not hard to add and to make them optional just confused people.

I have a current source amplifier here and that definitely needs it or else you will get a rising treble response. I published the design and if any Elsinore owners are able to make this amp, they are welcome to.

Link: Joe Rasmussen "Trans-Amp" - 40 Watt Transconductance "Current Amplifier"

My_Trans_Amp.jpg

WARNING: If you build this amplifier, only use with your Elsinores as they can damage normal speakers!

So the added two components forming that Zobel network is definitely required here and many tube amps have high output impedances and would be a good idea too.

What about solid-state amplifier? These usually behave as voltage sources and have very low output. Here there might still be an audible improvement by keeping the current phase angle flat and that could be good for the Class A to B transition.

Try it and let us know if you hear anything worth reporting? But it is now standard fixture in the three Parts Lists that I will shortly post here.

Cheers, Joe

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It took me 1 minute or 2 to understand that EQ parts influence all speakers, woofer, mids and highs. At first glance I thought, these parts only influence the woofer or the tweeter, the mids are without EQ. That makes me a little bit wondering, but now I guess I got the message.
The main problems while building my speakers occure with veenering. Better to apply the veener and than shape the speaker openings. Now I know.
The stand will be changed, I will see which feets look better. I will absolutely stay with the hight.
And I am going to amend the crossover.

Looks like, the Elsinores make some of my other speakers redundant, so I will start to sell some open baffle constructions and so on.

enjoy the building of speakers, amplifiers turntables and whatever makes an hifi enthusiast or better to say, music lover happy