The Doors -- What amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Was watching a doco on The Doors and saw some strange guitar amps I'd never seen before. They were tall and had a horn in the top section. But a nasty looking Atlas type announcement horn. Real "Public Address" kind of horn. Never seen that in a MI amp before!

I thought The Doors were using Ultravox amps, but none of the Ultravox 60s vintage stuff looks like this. They must have sued it a lot, there were several of these in studio and live footage. I can't find anything like it, but don't know my amps that well.

Anyone know what they were? :eguitar:

Acoustic was known mostly for the people who used them for bass amps, like John Paul Jones, for example. But there were others too, like the Collectors and Chilliwack. (just check the back cover of the "Mask" album)

The 300 series is worth alot because they were powerful. Apparently very well built, too.

As for Robby Krieger, I saw him use a few Fender Dual Showmans, I think. But that was just in a couple of pictures.

Acoustic Solid State Amplifiers

Was watching a doco on The Doors and saw some strange guitar amps I'd never seen before. They were tall and had a horn in the top section. But a nasty looking Atlas type announcement horn. Real "Public Address" kind of horn. Never seen that in a MI amp before!

I thought The Doors were using Ultravox amps, but none of the Ultravox 60s vintage stuff looks like this. They must have sued it a lot, there were several of these in studio and live footage. I can't find anything like it, but don't know my amps that well.

Anyone know what they were? :eguitar:

Blue stripes on the side , horn on top," BRAND ", is "ACOUSTIC". An american made solid state amp, late 60's +. Wow! I thought this was common knowledge. Been looking for one for years. Check out old Doors, Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, Vids. Either they didn't make very many or they are all trashed or someone is hording them. Great amps. Want one bad!!!!!!!!!!!

Acoustic 270 or its earlier incarnation (260?)
No real PA amps way back then, so you either built a wall of Marshalls (or a couple Dual Showmans in USA) or used a couple pof there.
Over 250W RMS into 4 Altec Lansing speakers (not your cheap Jensen/Oxford as most others) plus a couple mid horns for projection and you would pull dental fillings out of listeners 60 yards away.

Some friends of mine had that same full setup and sound was *unbearable* in a straight line in from of the cabinets.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Kustom, Sunn and VOX also made "guitar" amps with horns. Most were disconnected by the people that used them. Sometimes keyboard players would use the horn if they wanted a clean high end. The big advantage those Acoustic amps had at the time was that you could have one preamp feeding many powered speaker cabinets.

Well, the transistorized US-made VOX amps we saw here had horns. They were nothing like the real British amps. Our Super Beatle, for instance, had 6 12'S and two horns.

A lot of bass speakers still come with horns, usually also with a long-time-constant compressor consisting of a light bulb in series, and a really crappy crossover consisting of a cap in series (or a piezo horn). Again, they are usually turned off.

In college I worked for a band that had a rhythm player who played a strat thru a clean twin with Jensens and 8 piezo tweeters. The crystal-clear highs were astounding. It actually sounded surprizingly good for that particular kind of chucka-chucka rhythm work country rock, definitely claiming its own sonic space against a les paul lead.

Indeed!
Peavey brought out a (front-of house) speaker similar to this: -

It had 2x12" in a wave-guide, 2x P.A. Horns on top and 2 horn tweeters just below the mid-horns.

Now that I think about it I've seen a set of Yamaha's with the same configuration.

E.V. were, of course, very into their "All-Horn" designs at one stage - Such as the "Eliminator" and "Dominator" (Tremendous speakers for their time)

Aah! the memories!
Regards.
The Sound Man

Last edited:
The Acoustic 360 was the first really murderous bass amp, with Sixties transistors, 3-ohm speakers, and a horn bin that shot the bass forward like an 12-gauge.

The Santana guy must have really liked that amp, what with the Ampeg truck parked behind the stage the whole time. But for outdoors, yeah, I could see that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.