The DIY Midrange Dome Teggstreme Driver (or the epoxy calcium carbonate matrix dome)

I am so sorry.

I tried my luck several times since my last post to obtain a functional prototype with which I could perform some real dynamic measurements. Sadly, I must admit that eggshells are definitely too fragile, they crackle and brake much too soon. So I can tell now from experience that this kind of approach to the ideal dome is not the very best one. And the genious inside of me is deeply depressed. Just have a last look what happened to my most fancy darling "snow white edition" dome prototype while machining it with the utmost tender love and care:

Snow_White.JPG

End of eggame ... eggiving up!

Last edited:
Are you putting on a strengthening coating on both sides of the eggshell before trying to work on them ?
another idea similar to my tweeters is find a ring of some sort that fits around the area you want to cut off and use then use a generous amount of glue to hold it in place
this will give the the egg support while you file off the jagged broken pieces .
You will obviously have to use the ring as part of the egg dome though , so it has to be light and rigid .
I have been looking around the house to find such a ring , but could only find metal ones .
but if you have egghausted 😁 all your efforts, I understand.
Steve

Surely we could all put our eggheads together and LAY down some sort of plan .
what about those plastic eggs with toys in.
what about Easter eggs.
maybe not such a deep dome ?
I think our white chicken eggs have thinner shells than the brown eggs ? Well they feel less robust anyway.
I have some eggperience with cracking eggs.
Steve.

I am so sorry.

I tried my luck several times since my last post to obtain a functional prototype with which I could perform some real dynamic measurements. Sadly, I must admit that eggshells are definitely too fragile, they crackle and brake much too soon. So I can tell now from experience that this kind of approach to the ideal dome is not the very best one. And the genious inside of me is deeply depressed. Just have a last look what happened to my most fancy darling "snow white edition" dome prototype while machining it with the utmost tender love and care:

View attachment 1018089

End of eggame ... eggiving up!

I expect that once you remove the contents of the egg the shell dehydrates and becomes brittle (as you have observed). Eggshell is not like chitin. So you probably should only expect to be able to use the egg as a form or substrate/template onto which you can layer thin liquids that will harden and strengthen it. The shell is porous, so you might be able to get some stuff to wick inside the shell itself (and not just sit on top).

I used eggs as tweeters for my dml panels before I changed to a fabric dome.
the method I used might work with a larger dome ,I don't know ?
I would cut a hole in the 1mm or 2mm card I was using as my panel, about the size of the coil.
I pushed the eggshell into the hole and glued it firmly in place on both sides of the card.
When dry the shell could be gently broken off and sanded down with a piece of wood with sandpaper glued to the surface.
This worked well for my tweeters in my panels.

I never tried this but maybe you could use scissors or a knife to gently cut around the egg ,leaving a little bit of card for strength ?
Or maybe cut the ring before gluing to the egg ?
Although this might be a little difficult to hold while sanding ?
it's just a thought ?
Steve.

I could not find the egg panel without the exciter attached so the panel on the right is the egg dome and the one on the left is an Ali dome without the exciter from the back.
Cutting this would be easy, but this dome is only about one inch ,so is more robust.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_20220125_173927_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220125_173927_hdr.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 72
Cool ! My brother replaced the dome in a pair of Seas tweeters ( H400) with egg in the late 80's. A trick to remove the inner skin was to carefully apply winegar with Q- tips at the inside and start peeling. When the shell is as thin as you dare, rinse with water and dry. We glued the shell dome direct to the coil. No treatment of shell, just some black ink for better appearance. We named it " bio- ceramic" tweeter. We liked the "crisp" sound, but never measured it. Another idea ( for midrange) is glass foam with ultra thin gold leaf layer.