The death of Aesthetics...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2018
I'd argue that it's build/materials quality that suffers these days more than aesthetics. Although we did have some ugly-*** cars for a while there. Getting better now.
Even though we have better technology now to build better, the masses don't seem to give a ****.

Funny enough, I hate the way those old eceivers looks. Yamaha, Marantz, Sansui types etc. Those vertically placed knobs and the high number of switches... just.. no. A receiver is a receiver and I'm surprised so many people pay big bucks for them. Must be nostalgia. Give me an elegant, hefty integrated made of aluminum with a selector and a volume and I'm golden.

You ain't gettin' my home-made 100 watt amp mister.... LOL!

Attachments

• IMG_8262.JPG
    IMG_8262.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 203
You forgot to add "to some" at the end. It's a highly subjective aspect of any artificial product. Sure, there are some boundaries but within it, there is no right or wrong answer.

Well, as far as I'm aware, I can only state my own opinion. Completely up to you if you wish to agree or not. To add some abstract backdoor like "to some" would null the meaning of my statement completely. I might as well say something like "Eating mud is not objectionable at all... To some."

Could you get into that car Chris? Aventador? or more exotic?

dave

Likely more easily than you’d find it? Actually, it’s one of the “few off” models- Sian FKP 37. All kidding aside though, the Urus SUV almost looks like a candidate for soccer mom daily driver/grocery getter. I mean if you’re gonna waste a lottery windfall on a Volkswagen, ya may as well get spendy.

Attachments

• 464BFE6E-E264-4B44-8328-285BB91BE2C1.jpg
    464BFE6E-E264-4B44-8328-285BB91BE2C1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 189
Charles - loved my A77 two track high speed in the mid 70’s, but never really got a chance to test its full potential for live recording. Kind of a waste for just transcribing LPs from a Dual 701. Yeah, go ahead and laugh. Stylistically those 10” reels made quite a contrast to the full Quad 33/FM3 (in the nice wooden sleeve),303 and ESL57s.

Last edited:
Interesting how easily these threads can go OT, but to briefly continue on the automotive tangent, between my two married kids they each drive on a regular basis BMW i3, and my daughter in law drives a Q3. The beemer is a cute little short haul toy, but the Audi is a very nice piece indeed that makes our 2015 Subaru Forester feel almost a bit clunky.
Back to the audio gear, while looking for a nice photo of a sleeved 33/FM3 pair, I ran across a service dedicated to revisions to that series that ranges right up to completely new PCB including switching functions. Honestly, were the basic circuits -minus the long since superfluous and awkward tape & disc sensitivity adaptor boards - actually that worthy? I’m not so sure, AFAIC the Yamaha CA1000 that shortly followed my Quad electronics - upgraded by that time to the 405 - ate the combos’ lunch sonically. The ESLs proved to be far too problematic to squeeze maximum performance from in the limited apartment spaces I was living in at the time, and I went through a series of more conventional monkey coffin 2 and multi-ways - my favorite of which were the Yammy NS670 in terms of practicality, and the DQ10&DQ1W in terms of sonics. I can remember working in retail at the time and phoning Dahlquist’s office - “hello, this is Saul, how can I help you?”
Quad Refurbishing

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Charles - loved my A77 two track high speed in the mid 70’s, but never really got a chance to test its full potential for live recording. Kind of a waste for just transcribing LPs from a Dual 701. Yeah, go ahead and laugh. Stylistically those 10” reels made quite a contrast to the full Quad 33/FM3 (in the nice wooden sleeve),303 and ESL57s.

Don't ever get rid of that 701.....
They're rare as hens teeth and going for huge bucks today.

The one I restored for my neighbor was flawless/mint cosmetically, and now it's back to state-of-the-art performance again.
Lovely machine!

Besides the ESLs Quad electronics definitely have a cult following.
The aesthetics are at least half the reason.

Sometimes customer service can be a pleasant surprise.
I bought a few s/h MC2 Audio amps. For some reason I wanted to know something silly, I think it was the amps group delay. Anyway after explained that to the receptionist I suddenly found myself talking to Ian McCarthy, one of the two owners. Had a very interesting chat for about half an hour.
Another time I had sent one amp in because of a weird psu problem and a service. When I rang them for an update vis-a-vis cost I got connected directly to the service engineer while he was working on my amp.

Don't ever get rid of that 701.....
They're rare as hens teeth and going for huge bucks today.

The one I restored for my neighbor was flawless/mint cosmetically, and now it's back to state-of-the-art performance again.
Lovely machine!

About 40yrs too late with that advice, and I’d owned at least half a dozen vinyl playback rigs since then; 2 or 3different Regas, Linn Axis then LP12, Kenwood KD500 SME3009/ Decca unipivot / Grace 707, Oracle Delphi, and way too ,any cartridges to remember. The 701 was a nice machine - and the auto function was handy- but a well set up Oracle or LP12 would eat its lunch.
Aside from a quick test for the quality of phono stages of my last few pieces of gear, I’ve not actually played an entire LP side in at least 5 years, maybe more.

As for the ESLs, at the time my now wife had the same opinion - “they must not be very efficient heaters if you need two of them that close together - wouldn’t a nice hoodie be cheaper?”

Last edited:
Well, as far as I'm aware, I can only state my own opinion. Completely up to you if you wish to agree or not. To add some abstract backdoor like "to some" would null the meaning of my statement completely. I might as well say something like "Eating mud is not objectionable at all... To some."
You misunderstood my reply to you. You are certainly free to express your opinion as I am. I merely added what I think was missing in your expressed opinion. "null the meaning of my statement completely"? How about aiding your statement for more accuracy?

Also, whether the image you attached supports your opinion about the aesthetics of 1940's vs today's may be agreeable to some but certainly not all.

Likely more easily than you’d find it? Actually, it’s one of the “few off” models- Sian FKP 37. All kidding aside though, the Urus SUV almost looks like a candidate for soccer mom daily driver/grocery getter. I mean if you’re gonna waste a lottery windfall on a Volkswagen, ya may as well get spendy.
I saw that Lambo SUV in person. I thought it looks good from rear and front but when it comes to the side, something made me to think about an insect. :scratch2:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.