The computer thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Apparently Intel-paid "independent" testing group "Principled Technologies" has had to retest AMD Ryzen processors to remove cpu performance bias in favor of Intel.: Intel's 9th Gen Core Gaming Benchmarks Flawed and Misleading | TechPowerUp

memory timings on AMD's system being set in an almost "whatever" kind of way ~ numerous other flaws in the methodology ~ AMD's stock cooler vs a Noctua cooler for the Intel system and AMD's Game Mode an 8-core working in 4-core mode
All to throw the results...

Last edited:
I had a 2008 vintage HP laptop fail due to the "bad Nvidia chips" that also plagued Apple and Dell. Apple and Dell chose to repair or replace every bad laptop, and their story ended happily for their customers. HP chose to delay the issue, drag it through the court system, attempt to settle by replacing a $1100 HP laptop with a $400 Acer, which they called "equivalent." This resulted in more legal action, with the legal fees winding up higher than the settlement leaving me and countless others with a useless piece of trash. I wound up cutting a hole in the plastic and fixing a large finned heat sink to the Nvidia chip. This restored the laptop to functionality, but by then it was nearly 5 years old and pretty lame. I would wind up selling it for $50 at a hamfest a year later. I have not, and will not purchase another HP product, EVER.

In November 2013, I bought a heavily discounted touch screen Asus core i7 laptop from Newegg. The ad copy, outer box, and paperwork all displayed a "2 year warranty." The laptop was flaky from day one with random events being triggered by walking across the floor near the computer which was sitting on a couch. Calls to Asus were met with ambivalence, then telling me that a new software driver to fix the issue was forthcoming. The driver was done, but needed to be certified by Microsoft before it could be released......this meant that other users are having the same problem. More delays finally bent my patience to the breaking point. I stated that I wanted to return the laptop for replacement under warranty. Despite my receipt, and a sticker on the outside of the box stating "2 year rapid replacement warranty," Asus informed me that the code number on the bottom of the PC itself showed a 1 year warranty, which had just expired. I finally tell Asus where they can stick their laptop, and crossed them off my buy list......no more ASUS motherboards in my builds. I ripped the computer apart and found a badly warped touch pad mechanism due to poor assembly. A Dremel and some two sided tape made the computer usable in all but moving car situations.

So, I decided to build a portable PC that I could take on the road and use in various places. It was too big to use in a moving car, but it saw use in hotel rooms, various remote locations and even sitting on the beach in Florida several times. It had a 20 inch screen, 4 TB of hard drive space, and a Core i7-7700T chip with enough power for any task, and except for video performance it was the fastest computer I owned. There were several vacation trips where I used this PC, some DAW software, and a DIY music synthesizer I built for some beach side jam sessions.

Last April it went to the outer banks of North Carolina, in July it was on the beach in Florida, powered up to copy stuff once I returned, then stored. In August I took it off the shelf for a road trip, plugged it in and it was DEAD. No boot, no nothing.......

Autopsy revealed a dead CPU chip. In all the years of abusing Intel chips I never had one die. I had a 16 MHz 80386 running at 40 MHz without a heat sink for over two years. The white paint on the chip had peeled. This one ran at the stock clock speed. It was originally a retail boxed Intel CPU with a three year warranty, so I filled out the online service request. About a week of questions and experiments went back and forth, then they asked for the chip, and sent me a new one within a few days.

I had missed my vacation trip, had to take the crappy Asus, as the "box PC" as I called it was disassembled. OK, now's the chance.......I could replace the CPU chip, or remake it into something better.......Is this a DIY forum? OK, it's agreed that it's time to DIY a new PC.

Attachments

• P1100563_x.jpg
    P1100563_x.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 145
  • BoxPC_guts.jpg
    BoxPC_guts.jpg
    707.8 KB · Views: 135
  • PC and Synth_1x.jpg
    PC and Synth_1x.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 138
  • PC and Synth_2x.jpg
    PC and Synth_2x.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 140
  • PC and Synth3_x.jpg
    PC and Synth3_x.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 134
Long before the "box PC" died, I had been thinking of rebuilding it. I really wanted something that I could use in the passenger seat of a car, but we don't travel like we used to, so this wasn't the big factor that it used to be.

I have made non traditional PC's before, dating back to the old 8088 XT mother boards. The cases have all been modified briefcases, hard plastic waterproof transport cases meant for field equipment like guns and cameras, or DIY wood construction.

Most used displays salvaged from traditional sources, gutted CRT monitors in the old days, or modern flat screens with the plastic removed. As you can see, the box PC used a 20 inch ACER screen with the rear plastic removed.

Some of my "portable PC's" have deviated from the traditional laptop form factor with my "box PC" being a simple wood box with speakers and a display on one side. The keyboard is a detached wireless Logitech. I made it in a weekend, and it shows, but it lived for almost two years.

I brought up the idea in the "And what did we buy today?" thread back in March, posts #1120, 1122, 1124, 1127 and 1133. At the time the concept was still in flux, and not much had been decided. As time permitted some experiments occurred, and some parts were purchased. The death of the box PC put the project on the front burner, and some serious progress has been made. Now much more is known, and a lot of it is built. It will be similar to a traditional laptop with a thicker base.

The main interior chassis is 11 X 17.5 inches by about 2.5 inches high, all built from aluminum for strength and shielding. There will be an oak wood outer shell on the final machine. Total weight is about 8 pounds. The CPU is an Intel Core i7-7700T running at 2.9 Ghz with 16 GB of RAM and 5.5 TERABYTES of disk space, divided between 4TB of spinning Samsungs and 1.5TB of SSD. One of the spinning disks contains my entire music library in WAV format, with room for the stuff I haven't transferred from CD and vinyl yet. The slowish SSD is the boot and program disk, and the fast one is for video editing with Blender and Resolve. There is a 10 WPC class D audio amp with some Tectonic Elements 2 inch drivers that defy their size. No decision on the small subwoofer yet pending more testing. The display is a 15.6 inch 4K LCD, and there is an HDMI jack for a separate second display. The video built in to the CPU has been shown to play a 4K @ 30 Hz video on the internal display and a 4K @ 60 Hz video on a TV set simultaneously, both streamed via Ethernet, or from the fast SSD.

there is now enough hardware mounted in the chassis for testing my DIY "laptop." The battery pack, charger, and part of the power supply are not installed, as the power supply is not completely built, and some of it only exists in LT Spice at this time. The only things salvaged from the box PC were the motherboard, memory, and hard drives. A second spinning Samsung was added. Two nights ago I powered it up on an external power supply.

It is seen here copying data from one USB 3 connected SSD to another USB 3 connected SSD, playing a 4K video from the Sandisk internal SSD on the internal screen (unmounted at this time), and streaming another 4K video from YouTube over WiFi to a 4K TV set connected via the side mounted HDMI port, with the YouTube audio playing through external speakers through the internal class D amp......all at the same time without stuttering or glitching in either video. The system is currently running from an external 12 volt source (11.77 volts) and consuming 2.92 Amps (34.4 watts) while doing all of the above.

Today's project was to start cutting wood for the outer shell, but the rain came early and I discovered that my collection of 1/2 inch oak was actually three different thickness, .40, .44 ,and .51 inches thick. My next opportunity for some table saw time might be Saturday.

The progress will be posted here.

Attachments

• P2090445_x.jpg
    P2090445_x.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 92
  • P2090447_x.jpg
    P2090447_x.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
You forgot the duck tape, but there might be some in there somewhere....I don't remember.

I rushed that one to take it with me on a trip, thinking I would go back and re-do it better later. Two years on it sits gutted.......and I'm wondering if I should take the parts left over from this and rebuild it again. I have another motherboard that's the same size, but older and less powerful.......

Venus fly I just bought a rx570 card as well and I'm pissed .the reason is and very few will tell you is new GPU don't work with old motherboards.not just amd GPU but all new GPU.the old motherboards have bios newer ones have uefi instead I'm being told is this is the reason new gpus won't boot in an old motherboards.what I'm mad about is computer building has become the wild west run amok.this won't work with that or you have to upgrade that as well maybe but who really knows it's a crapshoot . I've been building PC's for 25 years and things are out of hand .if I get a new motherboard it might not work for Windows 7 so I might have to buy 10 it's just a vicious cycle.my old CPU motherboard combo with r9 270 GPU is fast but the newest games won't play on it supposedly.its making me angry that no one is running the show and it's a free for all now on what works and what doesn't.i even still run xp for certain stuff.just venting

Mark

I get a new motherboard it might not work for Windows 7

The box PC, and therefore the new "wooden laptop" as I call it is running W10. Why? Because it won't run W7.

All new Intel core chips (7th and 8th generation) have some new instructions and hardware that is not supported in W7. This is by design of course.

I tried W7 by hooking up a bootable W7 SSD that I made on a 6th gen machine that used an H270 support chip. It would boot and run, but the on board video was messed up and the USB 3 ports were dead. USB 2 worked at least good enough for the keyboard and mouse.

These are interesting;.......Phase, Not at that price!

For almost $500 the only things it has going for it is size, and power consumption. The Passmark rating for the CPU in that thing is 3232. I can beat that with an overclocked 4th gen Pentium for $50 on a $79 motherboard with $50 worth of RAM, but it is 7 X 7 inches and eats a good bit of power.

The CPU in my new PC is rated at 9193. I measured over 12,000 on my board because the cooler I stuck on it lets it run in turbo mode all the time. I have a 65 watt rated cooler on a 35 watt CPU. The CPU in the little stick is rated for 7 watts. I don't know how they get the heat out of that little stick or power the CPU and other stuff over USB.

I just bought a rx570 card as well

I got a cheap AMD video card (RX470?) for my music PC so I could run a 4K TV. That worked OK, until I started doing video editing with Blender. Blender has several rendering options, but the mode they plan on going forward with does NOT work with AMD cards. It requires CUDA cores for acceleration. Now I have a GTX1050. The non accelerated old Blender Render runs faster on my wooden laptop without a video card than it does on the older 5th generation core i7 in the music PC. It still takes two hours to render 5 minutes of 4K video.

I invested in a ne motherboard,processor and cooler about a month ago.
I upgraded my Skylake to a Coffeelake 8700K.
The coffeelake seems to be about 25% quicker than the Skylake.
The coffeelake has 6 cores to the Skylakes 4.
The cooler is huge ! it came as a kit. Took a while to work the kit out until realised it was dual kit for Intel and AMD. So separated out Intel parts and it went together ok after that.
It has come in useful recently for programming new websites and pc programs.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Venus fly I just bought a rx570 card as well and I'm pissed .the reason is and very few will tell you is new GPU don't work with old motherboards.not just amd GPU but all new GPU.

I found this out myself recently, that old mobos won't support newer graphics cards.

it might not work for Windows 7 so I might have to buy 10 it's just a vicious cycle.my old CPU motherboard combo with r9 270 GPU is fast but the newest games won't play on it supposedly.its making me angry that no one is running the show and it's a free for all now on what works and what doesn't.
I couldn't agree more with this post, the modern pc platform is indeed a mess, its catering to the idiocracy crowd too much. You can still get refurbished or "cleaned" old motherboards on eBay provided that you are willing to deal with the power consumption concerns of running on old silicon.

Give that app below a try though on this modern platform under Windows 7.

i even still run xp for certain stuff.
There is the HP T610 which was recently famously displayed on this youtube video:
YouTube

I would be looking towards running XP utilities inside of a VM though and not on actual hardware.

He uses a utility to get Windows XP drivers for the T610 Plus. called "Snappy Driver Installer" which is GNU GPL FOSS software:
Snappy Driver Installer - Install and Update Drivers for Free

Alternativley you could use Ubuntu and game on that but we all know that is a massive headache.

I wouldn't mind going back to Windows 7. 10 is such a chore after a while, you never know for sure its spying on you or not, that tension then builds up in your bones until you make a feverous jump for the Windows 7 cd/usb stick.

Just the other day the news app popped up in the bottom right hand corner saying that some royal got their baby named or something, I'm like, so? Why is this on my pc!?

#1 I didn't even know the news app was running, I never started it. All I knew for sure was that the news tile was running in the start menu.
#2 I didn't ask it to go out and request the latest news on some royal baby.
#3 I didn't ask it to stay tsr. (for those who don't know what tsr means: What is TSR (Terminate-and-stay-resident)?)
#4 I'm using an antispy utility, to prevent this kind of spying on my activity in the first place (Spybot Anti-beacon), yet it found out which country I'm in, and catered to me directly by sharing me up news for my region.... basically microsoft pushed out a news announcement and it went to my pc, not the other way around.

Basically what it boils down to is that micosoft is turning off any attempt that you make in trying to protect your privacy. Then again this is the dark era of software that FOSS teams warned us against isn't it? For decades they were saying this would happen, that one day we couldn't control our own software.

So yeah, bail. bail on the future if you can.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
As for Windows 7 running on a Ryzen Zen and Zen+ system. it SHOULD work, I haven't tried it personally myself but I'll give it a go on my AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Zen+ CPU and Asrock X370 Taichi mobo, but you will need a PS2 keyboard and mouse to do the installation, either that or install Windows 7 to the NVME or SSD drive on another system first, or use a utility to make your own custom iso:
Zen+ - Microarchitectures - AMD - WikiChip
How To Get Ryzen Working on Windows 7 x64

The problem with AMD platform at least is just USB drivers. My mobo is the Asrock X370 Taichi and as you can see below drivers are available.

Attachments

• 256-diyaudio.jpg
    256-diyaudio.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
10 is such a chore after a while, you never know for sure its spying on you or not

Microsoft is far behind Google, Apple and Amazon in the spying game.....theyr'e just trying to catch up.

Yesterday I Googled up a schematic for some ham radio hardware, a MMDVM (MultiMode Digital Volce Modem). Within 5 minutes, I get an email from Ebay trying to sell me one........I'm using W7 with anti spyware! I have grown used to it. It's just as bad on my phone.......oh wait, I bought my Google Powered Android phone on Amazon......Do they spy? Sometimes, like the MMDVM, they are right on target, other times, they are so far off it's funny.

Amazon tries to sell me music and Kindle books based on previous purchases. I buy tech books and classic rock music for me, kids books and music for the grandkids (age 5 to 13), and murder / cop mystery books and country music for my wife......they are really confused and their recommendations are all over the place. Ditto YouTube and Pinterest.

Get used to it and don't open a Facebook account......they spy too!

Spying is going to happen even on Linux......want to download some music and movies, pirate some software, use a junk computer, preferably one that never had on board Wifi, get a USB WiFi stick used somewhere so that it's MAC address can never be traced to you, and go to a place that offers free WiFi.

Not that I would ever do such a thing. This was a technique I learned from an avid multi player online gamer who would send his friend over to the warehouse complex where my wife worked (fast unsecured WiFi) to act as a "spoiler" by occupying or killing off his gaming rivals in a tournament.

Back to the wooden laptop......the weather (35 degrees F and raining) has stalled all outdoor table saw activities for the near future. I have been working on building and testing the last missing hardware piece, the power supply / battery management board. No smoke yet, because I haven't applied power yet.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Just because google does it doesn't mean everyone should do it.

What you are describing tubelab is website tracking and cookies, purely a function of your web browser and how google.com keeps track of what you enter into its search engine. If you use startpage.com or duckduckgo.com you won't get ebay using your search history anymore.

You can get around this by using firefox and ublock origin plugin. You setup firefox under privacy by selecting "Use custom settings for history" and selecting only "Clear history when firefox closes" and in the settings for clearing history tick everything but "Site Preferences" under "Data". That effectivley takes care of any tracking by any website, and also prevents popups and viruses, etc. But for added protection, malwarebytes anti malware is good to keep installed.

As far as the OS is concerned I'm mostly concerned about any possible "internet kill switch"es that they have programmed into Windows 10. I wouldn't for example want my computer to stop working if the world ended and WW3 broke out. I would want to continue to be able to use it long after mains power has gone and the internet infrastructure has been obliterated. I'm also greatly concerned about Cortana and the inability to keep it turned off.

There is also the problem of Windows 10 panicking in a few months after a collapse has occured because it can no longer access microsoft.com and then it ***** itself. I wouldn't want that on a system that is hosting all of my files, basically all of my memories of my family, and educating future kids by giving them access to my entire dvd and bluray library. I wouldn't want all of that to suddenly stop working. So controlling your own OS is paramount to me.

But Linux is far too complex to keep running post-collapse. So Windows 7 is just about the best thing available right now.

Unless I can manage to control Windows 10 and prevent it from calling home and/or being killswitched.

I also wouldn't want it to participate in any potential cyber warfare war, or for it to be enlisted as a bot in a botnet for the US DoD or Russian or Chinese hackers, same goes for under Windows 7. I'm also somewhat of a pacifist and I should hope that my computer is too.

The same goes for any possible sources of information for advertisers.

The case for wanting to go back to Windows 7 is pretty strong. Especially if 10 keeps turning things back on that I've turned off. Explorer still doesn't work at all when opening folders with a moderate amount of files in them, it still takes forever under 10. "Settings" is just garbage too, I miss control panel pretty badly. 10 is also clunky in a way, things that I could do under 7 now take insane amounts of disk performance to do, like running a game server while playing the same game on the same system, can't do that anymore under 10, its just too inefficient.

Is Windows 10 spyware? - Quora

Last edited:
you won't get ebay using your search history anymore.

A member of my family works for Ebay's data mining division. She confirmed that they share data with Google and Apple. She wouldn't comment on Amazon of Microsoft. These companies all do their data mining, but they also share and use third party data sources.

I am using Firefox with Malwarebytes since this combination was the only thing that found, and killed an infection that this machine got about a year ago from the adds that Yahoo mail was running. It seems that some of those little "ads by counterflix" delivered a nasty payload.

It dawned on me later last night exactly why Ebay tried to sell me the MMDVM, About a 3 days ago I bought a Chinese digital two way radio on Ebay. There are no digital repeaters in this area, so I must build my own in order to use the radio. I need a MMDVM to do this, so they tried to sell me one. I think I'll make my own with a Rpi, a Teensy, and the schematic I downloaded. The timing was probably just a coincidence.

I wouldn't for example want my computer to stop working if the world ended and WW3 broke out.

I imagine that if WW3 happens the internet itself will be gone, or under government control. W7, W10 who cares. Either they will both still work, or neither will work. I have several working W7 machines, two W10 machines, an XP machine and now two Linux boxes, but one is so old it still runs Open Suse 9.3 I think.

Since the Wintel monopoly has mandated that my 7th gen machine MUST run W10, I may set it up for dual boot with Linux. There are the usual boot managers, but I have also done this with two separate boot / application disks and a hardware switch. All other drives need file systems compatible with both OS's.

Is there a modern distro that will read NTFS? It's kinda hard to stuff a 2TB drive with a couple thousand CD's in WAV format using FAT. Ditto my pictures and video.

I switched to Opera.

My son used a HP Z600 I got through a scrap sale at work and loaded linux, Hyper-visor sw, converted Raspberry Pi-Hole sw to run under Linux, and built a firewall system with hyper-threads for separate applications. Our wi-fi is on a seperate network with filtering to prevent access to the hard wired network.

75% of our network traffic is from the "Smart TV" and other smart devices.

I now have much faster web access and a lot fewer advertisements.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I think I'll make my own with a Rpi, a Teensy, and the schematic I downloaded.

Good luck with that, for now I'll be sticking with analog radios, got a few Baofeng UV-5Rs for family conferencing on UHF CB band (477Mhz here) and I want to get another analog all in one like the Icom IC-7300.

The Yaesu FT-991A just feels like a cheap shoddy SDR to me in comparison to the icom: YouTube

Since the Wintel monopoly has mandated that my 7th gen machine MUST run W10, I may set it up for dual boot with Linux. There are the usual boot managers, but I have also done this with two separate boot / application disks and a hardware switch. All other drives need file systems compatible with both OS's.
Be careful with dual booting 10 and Linux, 10 has been known to nuke the linux bootloaders.
How to Dual Boot Windows 10 and Linux/Ubuntu | TechDiscussion.in

The Linux spying issue is in itself a complex one, Redhat actually controls the development of Linux now and forces the Linux community to install packages that they don't necesserially want, SystemD debacle for example uprooted the entire GNU operating system just so that people could make their laptops go into standby when the lid was closed.

systemd - Wikipedia

There is also concerns regarding where Redhat's alliegance lies, with the people or with a government entity.

The whole Linux mess is the main reason why I'm considering going back to 7.

Is there a modern distro that will read NTFS?
I know for certain that Ubuntu will read (and write) to NTFS partitions seamlessly without any installation or modding required. Its been that way for a few years now.

If I were you I would stick with Ubuntu, for the most seamless transition and the best software/hardware support without the bugs Ubuntu is going to be your best bet.

But remember that Canonical controls Ubuntu.

10 is a great OS, I just use it because I have to and there is no other option. Yeah that is not such a great excuse in my book even though I use that same excuse on myself and have done so for the last 2 years.

Ubuntu would be the most realistic competitor to Windows.

Last edited: