the cheapest route to high end audio... Naim clone? Blameless? digital?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nannoo, are you in the USA or overseas??

It's pretty easy to get some DOA pro amps, if you are in a metro or suburban area... good source of power iron and heatsinks, maybe even output bipolar transistors.

A whole lot depends on what your frame of reference is as far as what sounds "good".

I'd say that in general terms, from midbass up it is somewhat easier to make simple tube gear sound "good". But the day of inexpensive used tube gear is pretty much past. Otoh they're not very difficult to build.

The idea of those LM3886 amps has some merit, as they ought to be pretty decent, and they do 50watts per device, so two gets you 100watts and 3 will do 150watts. And, look ma, no parts! :D

You can go a million different ways, but the cheapest route is to beg and let someone give you an amp! :p

_-_-

I agree with those who say building your own is not less expensive in general - as it often leads to amplifier DIY addiction. You will start to believe you can do even better and that the old amp you made just isn't as good a job as you could do now with all that learning under your belt. So you start a second project........ I don't believe a cure has been found yet.

I started out building an amp to save money. It cost me more than a used amplifier. I'm still building amplifiers 4 years later. Some day I will be ready to listen to the music :D

If you don't want to go down this path, but insist that you get the chance to build something, there are some very good modules, ready-built and tested, at good prices out there you can buy. Some examples are, Greg Ball SKA GB150, Aussie Amplifiers, and some of the Class D / T amps have good reputations. At the higher end there are modules from Aspen Amplifiers. Buying from one of these three sources has the benefit that you know the darn things will work, are warranted and supported.

Last edited:
yup, I'm definately very keen on pre-made modules.
I was getting the impression that digital amplification would be 'the solution to all our problems' at some point (now or soon) but obviously not many people have mentioned them here, though I expect a lot of that is a lack of familiarity the corresponding confidence that would go with a recommendation.

My understanding is that it's possible to get excellent performance from a digital amp with a standard SMPSU, which in my head would be both high fidelity and low cost.
I think it's quite telling that PMC have specced digital amps in there new active studio monitors - PMC seem to specialize in making extremely high performing products with 'low cost' components (many £1000ish speakers with £60 worth of drivers)

yup, I'm definately very keen on pre-made modules.
I was getting the impression that digital amplification would be 'the solution to all our problems' at some point (now or soon) but obviously not many people have mentioned them here, though I expect a lot of that is a lack of familiarity the corresponding confidence that would go with a recommendation.

My understanding is that it's possible to get excellent performance from a digital amp with a standard SMPSU, which in my head would be both high fidelity and low cost.
I think it's quite telling that PMC have specced digital amps in there new active studio monitors - PMC seem to specialize in making extremely high performing products with 'low cost' components (many £1000ish speakers with £60 worth of drivers)
Caution: The greater amount of marketing terminology applied, then by same proportion, the lesser amount of electrical performance per dollar. Thus it becomes necessary to identify "made for selling" design as much different from "made for using" design. Please do consider that.

Last edited:
Caution: The greater amount of marketing terminology applied, then by same proportion, the lesser amount of electrical performance per dollar. Thus it becomes necessary to identify "made for selling" design as much different from "made for using" design. Please do consider that.

I see what you mean, but there isn't any arguement over the accuracy or quality of PMC's new digitally amplified monitors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.