The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jack Hadly from NHT had a great speaker measurement set up.

Attachments

• c65t5608.jpg
    c65t5608.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 646
AR2 said:
My son was in charge of collecting admission and drink donations...
Here he is seen in the middle between two cash box robbers who are trying to offer him beer in exchange for the cash box seen on the table.
Wait the minute, I recognize the guy on the right. That is kstlfido who suppose to be tracing tubes in the back room. Here he is seen dealing with different bottles.
:faint: :joker:

Ahh yes... glass is glass...just different types of pleasure!:D

Curving tubes or not, I had a fantastic time! It was great to connect with all of you DIY'ers...great motivation to get my act in gear! From all different ideas and directions; truly collaborative & refreshing.

Some sweet, beautiful sounds were heard. Those metronome drivers were about the most un-whizzer-ey whizzer cones I have ever heard... And I must find out more about that 6550 SE amplifier.

Thanks AR2, SY Variac and the rest of the team for putting this on. I am honored.

Must go & get my iron in the heated state...again!:clown:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vladimir,

Please please thank Matia for sitting there ALL DAY collecting admissions and an occasional beer payment. I briefly talked to him and he seemed a great guy...certainly a generous one to devote so much time to helping us.

Mark

Bill,
I know nothing of the Porter Run, but I think that I'd better find out! :rolleyes:

Variac said:
V

Bill,
I know nothing of the Porter Run, but I think that I'd better find out! :rolleyes:

From Wikipedia on UCSC:

"Another well known tradition is what is known as "The Porter Run" or "First Rain". Students run around campus naked or nearly naked to celebrate the school year's first night of rain. The run starts at Porter and proceeds to travel to the other colleges"

You Tube - Not safe for work!

jacco vermeulen said:
Any chance of a Chad-UGS close-up pic ?

Even more interested to hear how it held up against the DumpLin and STUSY-tube pre's.

Unfortunately, we did not do a straight-up comparison between these pre's. The C-UGS was off in the side room, and hooked to different amps and speakers. I didn't take a close-up at the event, but here's one I just took now:

Attachments

• p1000710-01smc.jpg
    p1000710-01smc.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 611
To the left side, you can see the power supply, which was not hooked up. This is a flying-cap supply, which provides two floating outputs from a single secondary winding on the R-core trafo in the back corner (bought surplus for $5). Next to the FC supply is a spot for the 12V supply. Hence, the bench supplies I used at BAF.

Center-rear is the input jacks (not all wired up yet), with rotary input-select switch mounted on the brass sub-panel. Also mounted on the sub-panel are the Cinemag input transformers.

Front-center is the PIC volume controller I hacked together in the days leading up to BAF. It merely reads a voltage from a pot behind the volume knob, and drives a pulse to set the latching relays in the stepped attenuators, connected via ribbon control cable to the right. Once the relays are set, the control outputs go high-Z, so there is no (well, less) noise transmitted from the control circuit via stray C. Each attenuator board is mono, fully balanced, but I designed the PCB such that it can also be configured for stereo single-ended use.

On the right side, we have of course the C-UGS prototype perfboards, wired up through CMOQ-3H output transformers. A switch on the front panel will connect the secondaries to either the headphone jack or the rear outputs, but always leaves the rear outputs tied to a 600R resistor so that they don't go open-circuit when you select headphones. Zero DC on the secondaries also guarantees that there are never any switching noises, unless the power amp input has some leakage current back to the preamp. Finally, on the rear panel, I included a ground-lift switch for the balanced jack pin-1 connection - either short to chassis ground, or AC coupled via a 10nF cap. This provides RF shielding at all times, but the option to break ground loops with whatever power amp may be attached.

The empty space in front of the brass panel is for the Rakk DAC mkII board I have, and an additional pair of standoffs will hold a small board with the DAC's LL1544a output trafos, configured as 1:4 step-up. The empty space between the control circuit and attenuators is for the main voltage regulators.

Twisted Pear DAC

Variac said:
... We really didn't do any comparisons to see, and the conditions were honestly not good enough to detect subtleties. I have it in my possession and will try the computer hookup again, as I am still very interested in this. I NEED computer storage for my music!!! ...

So, since Variac's decided to keep it (RIGHT??? ;)), I'd love to come back up to the city one weekend (soon I guess) to have a closer listen as well. I could bring along my UGS pre with the Rakk DAC installed this time, as I had intended for the main show, plus the squeezebox + mac mini, if desired, for comparisons.

Re: The knobs Magura made ...

anatech said:
Each of these knobs took Magura two hours to make. This is the result.

My dreams came true when he handed me a set of these. Amazing stuff.

Hear Hear!! :cheers: I was the lucky recipient of a pair of these knobs as well... I guess the bar is set for me now! :eek:

The craftsmanship on these is just fantastic... I will definitely need to do better than another Par-Metal case for these.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We need to check out dates of other events before deciding on this date. Please wait, or at least mark your calendars with pencil!!

The Audio Engineering Society will be meeting here in S.F at about the same time and our plan is to have ourr event the weekewnd before or after. Also we don't want to conflict with The Roxcky Mountain show...

Given alll the frantic hacking before (and during) BA, I count it as a good omen that no magic smoke was actually released from anyone's creation (at least while I was around). My only regret was that I didn't get to unleash my Shrine "black cube" amp during BA. I'm bringing it to work tomorrow with a preamp to give it a second shot at the Paradigms in our lab (my home speakers are 4 ohms - not a good match for the little amp). I'll be showing up at the next BA with a suite of tube amps incorporating switchers.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Variac said:
We need to check out dates of other events before deciding on this date. Please wait, or at least mark your calendars with pencil!!

The Audio Engineering Society will be meeting here in S.F at about the same time and our plan is to have ourr event the weekewnd before or after. Also we don't want to conflict with The Roxcky Mountain show...

Come to think of it, the RMAF is more diy oriented than the AES. Had I known earlier that the RMAF was just before the BAF I would have tried to combine a visit to the two. For those coming over from abroad and having to pay for a ticket anyway that's a real option. So next year please keep that option open and do the BAF just before or after the RMAF.

The mind boggles at the idea to see Nelson, John Curl (hopefully), Bob Cordell and Scott Wurcer (hopefully..) within the space of a few days....

Jan Didden

Variac said:

Apologies to all. It was probably bad form of me to break the 'spell' of BAF '07 by pestering those still basking in the glow of the event.

I've blocked out a window ... i.e. October '08

And my answer was more like a joke, that is why I placed smiling guys.
:D :D :D
It is too early in my mind to plan anything from this time distance. Yes we have few events in our mind to watch for, namely one in Denver and AES conference. We would like not to collide with those, but to be in between if possible.

Outside of dates, I think we need to look for bigger venue with more (door) separated rooms. We had at BA, several people that attended in the past meetings at Randall museum. I would like to explore more in that direction and get connected with people from Bay Area Tube Audio Enthusiasts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.